Need quick feedback on PHILIPS 42PFL9703

I think they are different. See

Philips - 9000 series -

Philips - 9000 series LCD TV 42" Full HD 1080p - 42PFL9703/98 - 9000 series - Televisions - Sound and vision

Per What HIFI 9664 is miles ahead of competition in almost every respect (except where it comes a close second in terms of motion and black levels).

Any definitive information about when 9664 & 9704 could be available in India? And the prices? If 9664 would be released in India in a 2-3 months and if the pricing (discounted) is around 90K, I don't see a point in buying 9703 at 80K now. The price of 9664 is 1500 GBP in UK, which is 1.16L, same as the price quoted for 9703 (1.19L) on Philips India web site. May be the 9664 & 9704 are on the way and that's why the retailers want to clear their 9703 stock?

Hope they launch 2009 series (9604, 9664, 9704) the models in India. With my Denon 2310 (will be getting in Nov 2nd week) and one of the 2009 model will be great combination.:yahoo:

Here is 9664 and 9704 information from Philips

YouTube - Philips LCD TV 9664 serie

YouTube - Philips LCD TV 9704 serie

Last edited:
^ Thanks for sharing this info.

The TV does look very good, but you have to remember that the lx5090 is not the best pioneer plasma.

Looks like Philips is evolving LCD technology. This one has 224 segment LED back lighting.

some of the screen shots clearly show how much additional details the Philips LCD can display which most of today's flat panel miss out, The comparison with samsung looked very interesting.The colors look right.

I have also noticed little negative points the reviewer mentioned in many Philips models.

Last edited:
I found this from poland site. open test of the 9704 model. Compared with pioneer lx5090 (i think that is kuro model).

Philips 46pfl9704H/12 - test

nice find,i got give a hand to the reviewer amazing photo skills.
anyway this tv is the flagship model,no suprise by its capabilities.its not a IPS panel for sure its mostly a sharp or a AMVA,u can see traces of color banding in some pictures,perhaps a sharp panel.although all panels have some traces,so can't say for sure.

offcouse the rival to that will be the the samsung B8500 again a local dimming lcd with either a AMVA or SPVA panel.
i don't think philips will price it cheap.

I stumbled upon a PHILIPS 42PFL9703 today and I must say it looked gorgeous even when it was next to a Sony KLV-40W550A. It was playing some HD content and, colors, while they were definitely "different", looked much better and natural. I couldn't check SD playback since they had a pathetic cable connected to too many TVs.

They have the last piece on display for sale and they offered it for 79,990. (The discounted price was 89,990 and 10K addl discount since it's a display piece). How good a deal is this? In particular, any idea on quality of SD playback? I watch TS 80% of the time and occassionally DVDs. Don't need fancy features like USB movie, etc.

I know that Philips service is bad, but the store guys said they will take care of any type of problems. But I took that with a pinch of salt. What is people's experience with Philips service? Is it really really pathetic or is it something that you can deal with?

I'm trying to get some info on the net, meanwhile your inputs will be highly useful. I need to decide before the last piece is taken (the model doesn't seem to be available elsewhere, it's made in Europe apparently).

Thanks

I have one. Bought over Sony.
Buy it Blindly. SD is the best
Thanks

my only advice to prospective philips lcd tv buyers in india is that even though
their TVs are bang for the buck and picture quality would rival the best do keep in mind their customer service is the worst..brace yourself to wait for ages if any of the parts went kaput..their customer service is outsourced and they do not even keep your records and each time you call you are supposed to repeat your horror story..they didn't even have a courtesy to send in a replacement tv when mine was under service for 2 months..so all i can say is that ask your friends about Philips service near your area and then decide.

I checked out Panasonic plasmas at an exclusive store.

C10: Satisfactory performance in all aspects. In particular black levels not so good, but it had good sound for a flat TV. Decent SD performance.

G10: I was expecting worse SD performance than C10 since this one is Full HD, but surprisingly it equalled C10. Didn't find any pixelation or sharpness. Any idea why this is so?

S10: Almost same as G10, but slightly lesser contrast and black levels.

I found C10 to be much more reflective than S10 & G10.

After a lot of speculation, I went ahead with a Samsung 42B450 (plasma). TV will be delivered tomorrow. Dropped panny because it's not so good in de-interlacing the TS input. LG was quite good, it even had USB movie & good sound (both missing in Samsung), but dropped it even though I was getting a fantastic deal from a distributor. Finally chose Samsung because of the very good de-interlacing from TS, 18 bit panel, rich colors, 100 Hz motion, better blacks, looks, etc.

Thanks to a lot of people who helped me on this forum. I only wish it didn't take this long (almost 3 months) to decide!

BTW, is a break-in DVD easily available in India? In particular in Hyderabad? Any references will be useful.

Thanks

PS. Here is yet another guy who started the search for an LCD and ended up with a plasma. Plasma rocks!

Got the TV today. Awesome is the word! I didn't expect SD signal from TS to look this good. And colors are awesome too. Built-in sound as expected is disappointing, but that's no big deal since you can always connect an external speaker.

I'm actually glad that I bought this for 43K instead of buying Philips 9703 for 80K. To my eyes, this plasma is actually better than 9703, though I didn't test HD content yet. Overall, I'm more than fully satisfied.

Now just enjoy TV,forget the homework done,try to calibrate proper & enter the live world.:clapping:

Hi Adagalla,

I too have been looking for buying a large screen TV. I have gone to many showrooms and come away unconvinced about their performance on SD content and I have posted about it often HFV.

Everybody here however offers fairly satisfied responses once they got their TVs home!

What I wanted to know from you is about your particular choice. Why did you choose the 450 over 430?

As far as I understand, it has 1 extra hdmi port, and something called Anynet. Is Anynet of any use? All other specs are the same. In fact, according to the Samsung website the 430 has PIP which 450 does not.

I haven't been able to get a look of the Panasonic G10, my corner of Delhi does not have it. It is also more expensive, but is it worth it? I wonder...

I would really appreciate your feedback.

Hi Adagalla,

I too have been looking for buying a large screen TV. I have gone to many showrooms and come away unconvinced about their performance on SD content and I have posted about it often HFV.

Everybody here however offers fairly satisfied responses once they got their TVs home!

What I wanted to know from you is about your particular choice. Why did you choose the 450 over 430?

As far as I understand, it has 1 extra hdmi port, and something called Anynet. Is Anynet of any use? All other specs are the same. In fact, according to the Samsung website the 430 has PIP which 450 does not.

I haven't been able to get a look of the Panasonic G10, my corner of Delhi does not have it. It is also more expensive, but is it worth it? I wonder...

Last I asked him, The B450 has less of "glare" due to some coating on the screen. My LG PQ60 too has it while the samsung B430 does not apparently.

+ Iam not convinced with the quality I get from hathway cable even @ home. The SD from divx/DVD is much much better.

Hi Adagalla,

I have a Tata Sky connection and SD looks damn good. As BLASTO also said it earlier, showrooms have junk signals. If showroom had a direct Tata Sky connection for demo, I would have bought my TV 6 months ago. The bad signals at showrooms confused me and I took this long to audition. If it's possible you should always get a demo at a friend's or neightbor's place, in home environment.

I didn't care about extra HDMI & PIP. 450 has anti-reflection, which 430 didn't. I found 430 more reflective than 450. Also,

I considered G10 and didn't go for it only because Panasonic is not as good as Samsung at de-interlacing, so my Tata Sky wouldn't look as good. Also my primary viewing is SD so no point in going for a Full HD TV (which will further degrade SD because of more scaling required).

BTW, Samsung B450 plasma does have the buzzing problem everyone talked about. But it's picture quality far outweighs this drawback. You can imagine how faint the sound is considering that I realized it only after watching the TV for a week :D Also it is audible only under 4-5ft distance during some somewhat silent scenes. Contrary to what some people may believe, the buzz is totally absent when the set is in stand by.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back