Need quick feedback on PHILIPS 42PFL9703

BTW, Samsung B450 plasma does have the buzzing problem everyone talked about. But it's picture quality far outweighs this drawback. You can imagine how faint the sound is considering that I realized it only after watching the TV for a week :D Also it is audible only under 4-5ft distance during some somewhat silent scenes. Contrary to what some people may believe, the buzz is totally absent when the set is in stand by.

Just a query..

Is the sound coming from the speakers or else where?
If it is the speakers, It could be due to bad drivers.. May vanish when connected to external speakers.. If it is due to electronics, It might get magnified when connected to external speakers. :(

How is temporary IR? Were you able to see them in the dark from 1 feet? My TV greatly got rid of the temp IR problem after 40 days of using.. Slowing trying out high contrast now..

BTW, I discovered that "some" channels in the hathway are excellent.. Eg: The NDTV Lumire.. The signal strength is at 80% only..

Also, displayed 1080p pictures today for the first time and the scaling and image clarity is awesome.. :yahoo:

Addagalla: So +1 to the 450 and I too would be watching mostly SD that too over the neighborhood cablewallah set top box.

PQ improved by a huge margin when the STB was installed for our BPL 29" CRT, but then I don't want to go backward in PQ because I went forward with the big TV! :) Many Gurus here assert old CRTs superiority over the new LCDs and Plasmas.

Tell me if you followed any particular calibration settings to improve the PQ for your 450. Did the sorry pixelation that one sees in the showroom really go away when you got your set home on sd?

Also, for the price of a 42" G10, one can buy a 50" LG or Samsung, so if price was not a big constraint, would you recommend a larger 50" over the 42"? My viewing distance would be about 9'-0".

Last I asked him, The B450 has less of "glare" due to some coating on the screen. My LG PQ60 too has it while the samsung B430 does not apparently.

+ Iam not convinced with the quality I get from hathway cable even @ home. The SD from divx/DVD is much much better.

Blasto: So the Lg is out?

Did you compare PQ60 with PQ70? The specs are nearly identical except for some bluetooth stuff. Even the PQ30 is fairly similar except lacking some USB Movie playback functionality. Both Bluetooth and USB movie playback is not something that I really care about.

Surprisingly the LG plasmas are said to consume only 200W, Samsung unfortunately don't mention this on their specification webpages.

Would you recommend LG over Samsung, now that you own one?

Addagalla: So +1 to the 450 and I too would be watching mostly SD that too over the neighborhood cablewallah set top box.

PQ improved by a huge margin when the STB was installed for our BPL 29" CRT, but then I don't want to go backward in PQ because I went forward with the big TV! :) Many Gurus here assert old CRTs superiority over the new LCDs and Plasmas.

Tell me if you followed any particular calibration settings to improve the PQ for your 450. Did the sorry pixelation that one sees in the showroom really go away when you got your set home on sd?

Also, for the price of a 42" G10, one can buy a 50" LG or Samsung, so if price was not a big constraint, would you recommend a larger 50" over the 42"? My viewing distance would be about 9'-0".

I didn't see any loss in quality when I moved from my 29 crt to 42 plasma with Tata Sky. To my eyes, plasma seems better.. apart from the fact that there is no loss of quality, the bigger picture really gets you!

I haven't calibrated it at all !! I just put it in movie mode and currently I'm using <50 for all settings for the break-in. But built-in movie setting was superb and I'm sure it can be improved further (which I will try a little later).

I guess 42 will be just the right size for 9". Also many people have the opinion that 50 is an overkill for a HD ready set (big pixels so you'll actually see the grains).

Did you compare PQ60 with PQ70? The specs are nearly identical except for some bluetooth stuff. Even the PQ30 is fairly similar except lacking some USB Movie playback functionality. Both Bluetooth and USB movie playback is not something that I really care about.

Surprisingly the LG plasmas are said to consume only 200W, Samsung unfortunately don't mention this on their specification webpages.

PQ 30/60/70 are all the same except for the external differences that you mention.

In my opinion Sammy is better than LG in terms of picture quality and scaling. It has 18 bit panel, 100 hz, etc. LG's sound is much better than sammy and is little cheaper. And I liked the looks of sammy better than LG.

Just a query..

Is the sound coming from the speakers or else where?
If it is the speakers, It could be due to bad drivers.. May vanish when connected to external speakers.. If it is due to electronics, It might get magnified when connected to external speakers. :(

How is temporary IR? Were you able to see them in the dark from 1 feet? My TV greatly got rid of the temp IR problem after 40 days of using.. Slowing trying out high contrast now..

BTW, I discovered that "some" channels in the hathway are excellent.. Eg: The NDTV Lumire.. The signal strength is at 80% only..

Also, displayed 1080p pictures today for the first time and the scaling and image clarity is awesome.. :yahoo:

I'm not sure but I guess it's not from the speaker. It seems to come from somewhere behind the panel. You can check it when you visit.

Haven't seen any TIR at all. Settings are pretty low at the moment. Also, I didn't look for TIR specifically. :)

I have a Tata Sky connection and SD looks damn good. As BLASTO also said it earlier, showrooms have junk signals. If showroom had a direct Tata Sky connection for demo, I would have bought my TV 6 months ago. The bad signals at showrooms confused me and I took this long to audition. If it's possible you should always get a demo at a friend's or neightbor's place, in home environment.

I didn't care about extra HDMI & PIP. 450 has anti-reflection, which 430 didn't. I found 430 more reflective than 450. Also,

I considered G10 and didn't go for it only because Panasonic is not as good as Samsung at de-interlacing, so my Tata Sky wouldn't look as good. Also my primary viewing is SD so no point in going for a Full HD TV (which will further degrade SD because of more scaling required).

Congrats on your new TV, addagalla. One of the differences between the B450 and other plasmas (B430, all LG plasmas and the Panasonics) is that the B450 is 3D Ready. It should work with nVidia's 3D glasses (as a monitor connected to ur PC running games in 3D) and would probably also work with the expected 3D update to the PS3 in 2010..

I know 3D support doesn't sound like a feature with much use at the moment but that could seriously change by the end of next yr if 3D does pick up.

I would reserve the judgement till monday..
Going to addagalla's house tonight for having a look.

I will post a detailed analysis with pictures on my setup, expectation and the mismatch..

The fact that very few channels in the hathway cable is showing great in PQ60 and that the PQ of SD divx/DVD is good keeps me thinking that I would get a good picture from TATA sky. Will clear when I go to addagalla's house.

BTW, My CRT was the highest end 29" theatre series when I purchased it 4 years back.. It was almost as costly as the PQ60 :D and is analog.. So there is a possibility it handled the cable signal better..

If you are going to use the hatway cable signal, I would recommend keep away from PQ60 at the moment..

Will confirm once after the audition tonight..

I would reserve the judgement till monday..
Going to addagalla's house tonight for having a look.

I will post a detailed analysis with pictures on my setup, expectation and the mismatch..

The fact that very few channels in the hathway cable is showing great in PQ60 and that the PQ of SD divx/DVD is good keeps me thinking that I would get a good picture from TATA sky. Will clear when I go to addagalla's house.

BTW, My CRT was the highest end 29" theatre series when I purchased it 4 years back.. It was almost as costly as the PQ60 :D and is analog.. So there is a possibility it handled the cable signal better..

If you are going to use the hatway cable signal, I would recommend keep away from PQ60 at the moment..

Will confirm once after the audition tonight..

Refer http://www.hifivision.com/television/7279-42-lg-pq60-vs-samsung-b450-plasmas-home-review.html

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back