Need Receiver for Bose Acoustimass 10 V series

k_vijay12

Hi, My brother had bought a Bose Acoustimass 10 V series and connected it with his Yamaha 377, It sounded worse than the initial yamaha HTIB set up. Now he is looking to invest in a good AVR with budget up to $800.

Shortlisted options :
1. Sony STRDN1080
2. Pioneer SCLX501
3. Yamaha Avantage series basic model

I dont have experience of Bose Acoustimass. People with experience of pairing Bose Acoustimass with AVRs, can you please share your experience. Any other models you would suggest ? We would audition the shortlisted setups before deciding. Appreciate your help. Thanks

Hi, My brother had bought a Bose Acoustimass 10 V series and connected it with his Yamaha 377, It sounded worse than the initial yamaha HTIB set up. Now he is looking to invest in a good AVR with budget up to $800.

Well what led to picking up Bose? Were any other speakers auditioned? Usually Bose go well with Yamaha. What is not sounding right? Did you contact Bose to help with the setup?

MaSh

My friend has some acoustimass series.... he bought a marantz melody series and is very happy with it.

Bose can't handle high power. Any lowest power AVR will do. To me they are terrible sounding as compared to my entry level Floor Standers. As satellites they may be good but don't expect them to take mainstream receivers or you may end up damaging them

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Bose can't handle high power. Any lowest power AVR will do. To me they are terrible sounding as compared to my entry level Floor Standers. As satellites they may be good but don't expect them to take mainstream receivers or you may end up damaging them

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

+1 to that. I've set-up my cousin's Bose acoustimass with Denon AVR-X2200 and it is sounding terrible. This set-up does not even match the audio quality of my Philips HTIB bought 12 years ago.

Hi k_vijay12

Would advise to pick a Marantz NR1506 or NR1607......

These models offer Audyssey setup which will help calibrate these 'Delicate Darlings' (BOSE) and you will enjoy better playback....

After Audyssey is done, some manual tweaking of levels may be required....

If ready to spend $800...go for the SR series.....

Thanks for the inputs. the set up is for my brother in USA. He happened to like them when he listened these at his friend's place. He got the speakers in a sweet deal. Hence looking for an AVR now

I guess ppl are finding issues with the pairing.
I own the Bose Acoustimass 10 series V and the same is paired with Onkyo HT-R593.
This is an official pairing by Bose. Onkyo comes within the Bose Box. However, this was an offering by Costco.

The wiring is a bit different. While usually i connect speakers directly to the AV receiver, here the output from the amp goes to the Bose Bass unit. And the Bass unit then powers the 5 speakers.

I am extremely happy with the sound. Even i would have loved some floor standing speakers et al. But that would entail consuming some extremely expensive square feet of real estate in Mumbai suburbs. Happy with the speakers mounted on the wall and barely visible. As far as the sound goes the the quality is great and the bass from the downward firing woofer is excellent.

Maybe this link is helpful:
The 4 Best Receivers for Bose Acoustimass 10 Reviews 2017

@ k_vijay12

The Bose AM10 pairs well with Yamaha , Onkyo, Marantz...

My wife's cousin has AM10 and i got the same paired very well with Marantz NR1504....although 50watts rms per channel...more than enough to crank up the volume with ease without any jarring or fatigue....

We ran audyssey first and checked...obviously these auto setups are not 100% accurate as they do not factor furniture and other aspects in the listening room....so i did some manual tweaking of levels...adjusted the 9 band EQ for each speaker and slightly spiked the input source levels...he is a happy camper for the last 2 years till date...plays it quite loud for music and movies...

Bose AM 10 will pair well with any Entry or Mid Level Audio Video receiver, Viz: YAMAHA, ONKYO, MARANTZ, or DENON.

The secret is the proper placement of the speakers and calibration.

In the present version they have made the Subwoofer Active but still the crossover for all the speakers are into the Acoustimass (Subwoofer) Module.

Try using a crossover setting @80 Hz in which case the bass management will happen at the AVR Level or go with Full Range option on the AVR and turn the Double Bass ON this will let the Acoustimass Module Manage the Bass for you.

Bose always demo their speakers with either their own amp modules or with onkyo. So onkyo receivers will pair well I guess. There is no way those Bose speakers can go any where below 160hz with the small size of their drivers. So maybe the cross over settings are at fault, leading to the poor sound quality. So set the cross over to 160hz, turn all speakers to small, disable lfe+main or double bass or extra bass on the avr and carry out calibration again.

In India i seen Bose stores first providing demo with Yamaha.....this went on for some years .....now its with onkyo....

Similarly, Polks (profx audio)....used to provide demos on denons ....thats over...now it is yamaha and certain models of denon (higher end).

Its all about placement and calibration....

I prefer manual setup rather than the auto calibration. Due to the room dimensions you may have to manually plot the distance of the speakers to the listener. I have a wierd setup. Usually the woofer is placed near the wall where the display is located. But due to space restrictions my woofer is placed at the wall opposite the display. Infact its right next to the sofa where i sit so I get to enjoy the bass more.

I guess ppl are finding issues with the pairing.
I own the Bose Acoustimass 10 series V and the same is paired with Onkyo HT-R593.
This is an official pairing by Bose. Onkyo comes within the Bose Box. However, this was an offering by Costco.

The wiring is a bit different. While usually i connect speakers directly to the AV receiver, here the output from the amp goes to the Bose Bass unit. And the Bass unit then powers the 5 speakers.

I am extremely happy with the sound. Even i would have loved some floor standing speakers et al. But that would entail consuming some extremely expensive square feet of real estate in Mumbai suburbs. Happy with the speakers mounted on the wall and barely visible. As far as the sound goes the the quality is great and the bass from the downward firing woofer is excellent.
+1 to that. I have paired it with Denon X2300W and the movies sound really great. Earlier I had a Marantz SR 8002, but was not really happy with the output.

Ultimately Yamaha, Onkyo, Marantz or Denon, what matters is your own ears and there are plenty of Bose bashers out there who compare lot of technicalities with other speakers at the same price point. Trust your own ears always!

Paired my Acoustimass 10 Series V with Yamaha RX-V485. Works perfect. Way better than my old (10 year old) Marantz SR 4003+Boston Acoustics MCS 100 set up.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back