Need recommendation for soft dome bookshelf speakers

sid.rhythm

Hi,
I am looking for setting up 2 way Hi res audio system . I have a 300 sq ft and have a Denon Dra-800h which has speaker impedance of 4-16ohms and power upto 140 KW.
I am looking for bookshelf speakers having soft dome speakers , since I want the highs to be slightly mellow . I am looking for a room filling experience without having ear stress , since I suffer from tinnitus which makes my ears very sensitive to high frequencies.

Kindly suggest .

Thanks and regards
Siddharth.

Hi Siddharth, I am sorry for your condition. Hope there is a cure for this. BTW have explored the possibilty of a Graphic Equaliser with your existing setup? Much cheaper option. Just a thought though, experts can comment if this is a worthwhile option.
Else, you can try Wharfedale bookshelf (Diamonds 12.1). These have tame high end or at least I percieved it to be. Take care!

Hi,
I am looking for setting up 2 way Hi res audio system . I have a 300 sq ft and have a Denon Dra-800h which has speaker impedance of 4-16ohms and power upto 140 KW.
I am looking for bookshelf speakers having soft dome speakers , since I want the highs to be slightly mellow . I am looking for a room filling experience without having ear stress , since I suffer from tinnitus which makes my ears very sensitive to high frequencies.

Kindly suggest .

Thanks and regards
Siddharth.

Tinnitus would typically trigger at high SPL (I do suffer from Tinnitus too). Hear different speakers and decide which makes it pleasant for you esp. in a closed room (where Tinnitus tends to be more painful). While people can give you recommendations of warm,bright, analytical and all kinds of speakers, the more you audition, the better your decision will be.

Since you are in Bangalore, based on your budget you can go with a lot of options. There are multiple threads on the Dealers in Bangalore. Since you have a large room, your MLP will be a fair distance from your speakers so you may need some high quality speakers or combine the bookshelves with sub.

I shall vote for KEF q300 speakers.. Search them if they are available at your place as they are discontinued since few years back.. Q350 is their latest option.

Depending on the budget, different Wharfedale and Harbeth models are probably worth checking out

I'd also recommend some room treatment (particularly absorbers) to damp the room a bit.
I shall vote for KEF q300 speakers.. Search them if they are available at your place as they are discontinued since few years back.. Q350 is their latest option.
Wont work for someone sensitive to high frequencies

Hi,

Kindly suggest .

Thanks and regards
Siddharth.
Hi Sid,

can u demo Indiq Audio Diamond mishra which is good & high praised by many in this forum. its Bangalore based indian brand chk their website for specs & call preparator of Indiq audio Amit u can get better suggestions .
Also there is 15 days return policy in case if u didt like the sound stage u can y return & get ur money only transport charges is deducted. till date no returns thats the confidence built by them. there is upgrade policy aswell in case if u like to upgrade their next series in 1 r2 yrs ( not sure) u can get new by paying only extra of new speakers old amt is valued same as what u paid for the new . this is one best options they have & sound stage is very details & clean sound .
chk demo & n see if ur ears like this sound & take ur call.

Since you are in Bangalore, go to ProFx and audition for KEF bookshelf speakers; check if their sound signature suits you.

You can use measurements for your requirement. Hit up the ASR speaker review index and look for speakers with a rolled off treble. Read the reviews and short list. There is no way around this. Listening is desirable but no guarantee it will translate in your room with your amplifier. Remember that the speaker is one of a piece, don’t forget the amplification. Is your amplifier refined enough? Do you really like the sound of your preamplifier, etc. Use your intuition, Your best hope is that you land something in the ballpark and then gradually experiment with positioning to arrive at something you can live with. Best of luck.

Hi,

Kindly suggest .

Thanks and regards
Siddharth.
As suggested by @nvnaveen , try IndiqAudio. Their speakers are silkdome and have rolled off highs yet detailed. I am using them and never felt ear fatiguing even after continuous 6 hr listening. You can make use of their home demo as well so that you can evaluate them in your environmental and with your chain.

since I suffer from tinnitus which makes my ears very sensitive to high frequencies.
If I may ask how did you end up with tinnitus? I have it and it’s extreme. Mine was due to minimal hearing loss caused by loud noise damage. If you are setting up a system go for the speakers you like. As far as I know speakers or frequencies you shouldn’t worry much but the level of decibels and how long you are exposed is what will worsen your tinnitus. Loud noise is dangerous to Tinitus so you need to be careful with your volume levels and how long you listen to your system.

Thanks a lot for your wonderful replies. I will do further more research on the same..

I dont intend to listen to music at a high volume .

For those who expressed concern regarding my Tinnitus , thanks a lot . Docs say that I had an inherent hearing loss, which well I was never aware as it never bothered me . Loud sound on occasions must have aggravated it , leading to tinnitus.

Thanks again ..!!

Thanks a lot for your wonderful replies. I will do further more research on the same..

I dont intend to listen to music at a high volume .

For those who expressed concern regarding my Tinnitus , thanks a lot . Docs say that I had an inherent hearing loss, which well I was never aware as it never bothered me . Loud sound on occasions must have aggravated it , leading to tinnitus.

Thanks again ..!!
If you are looking for the full bodied sound at low volume, then Fletcher Munson curve to the rescue. Get speakers with an FR similar to the Focal Aria 906, the treble is shelved down. As a result the speaker is not lacking bass at low volumes, very low volumes. Look for an amp with a well implemented Loudness button such as the Denon PMA series, I am not sure the newer 1600NE has the loudness button. The Bass and Treble controls in the NAD amps are also done well. You may also consider a digital EQ such as the Minidsp.

As suggested by @nvnaveen , try IndiqAudio. Their speakers are silkdome and have rolled off highs yet detailed. I am using them and never felt ear fatiguing even after continuous 6 hr listening. You can make use of their home demo as well so that you can evaluate them in your environmental and with your chain.
Booked a demo for Diamond Mishras for Sat... :)

Booked a demo for Diamond Mishras for Sat... :)
Update …++
Booked Diamond Mishras , expected delivery 2nd week of September
Amit was very cordial and spent lot of time listening to a mix of genres . I have a Denon AVR streamer , and the speakers sounded very good .. Although , if u have a seperate DAC,Pre-Amp streamer , the sound is full bodied
These were the songs I tested :-

1) Dire Straits (Sultans of Swing )
2) Nothing Else Matters ( Metallica)
3) Mind Ecology ( Shakti with John Mclauglin)
4) Face to Face ( Shakti with John Mclaughlin)
5) Ye Aine Se Akele me ( Hariharan)
6) Jiya jiya na jiya ( Haazir - Hariharan & Zakir Hussain)

Update …++
Amit was very cordial and spent lot of time listening to a mix of genres . I have a Denon AVR streamer , and the speakers sounded very good .. Although , if u have a seperate DAC,Pre-Amp streamer , the sound is full bodied

Good decision. Can you please share the sound signature of the combo and what speakers did you demo earlier?

Update …++

Good decision! Do post your feedback once you connect it at your listening space.
Lokesh

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back