Need speaker suggestion

bprags

Hi All,

I recently brought a 64 inch Samsung Plasma. I am in love with the PQ except the sound. I need speakers to complement the TV. The TV has been wall mounted in the Hall, opposite to the TV is a open staircase, due to which I cannot mount any rear speakers, due to this I am only looking at a 3.1 setup kinda thing, left, right, center and a sub. AFAIK we do not get 3.1 speakers:p. I need to know places where I can audition speakers, I am put up in North Bangalore. I have a budget of around 50 to 60K. So would need all the expert opinions, my main purpose would be 70% movies and 30% music.

Please help

If movie watching is your preference, then you will have to have a 5.1 setup slowly.
Yamaha RX-V479 AVR and with Wharfedale Diamond 220 speakers will be a good one to start up with.

Can you tell me the model numbers of the speakers and amp you have mentioned?

pretty much in line with what sanloyn has said. for the amp you can go with the yamaha rx 377 or 477. i think it comes with an inbuilt dac as well. for the speakers the diamond 220, with a matching centre. and a sub. but all these put together may be over your budget.

if music isnt a concern you could perhaps even look at a 5.1 system with cube speakers. though ideally the rears should go at the back, you can also put it up front as well

If movie watching is your preference, then you will have to have a 5.1 setup slowly.
Yamaha RX-V479 AVR and with Wharfedale Diamond 220 speakers will be a good one to start up with.

pretty much in line with what sanloyn has said. for the amp you can go with the yamaha rx 377 or 477. i think it comes with an inbuilt dac as well. for the speakers the diamond 220, with a matching centre. and a sub. but all these put together may be over your budget.

if music isnt a concern you could perhaps even look at a 5.1 system with cube speakers. though ideally the rears should go at the back, you can also put it up front as well

Thanks for your suggestion. What do you suggest for subwoofer, I am thinking of stretching my budget and get a sub too. I was looking at the Whaferdale SPC-10 or SPC-12. Your suggestions?

Thanks for your suggestion. What do you suggest for subwoofer, I am thinking of stretching my budget and get a sub too. I was looking at the Whaferdale SPC-10 or SPC-12. Your suggestions?

i have not heard them myself, but if youre listening area is'nt too big then the 10" one should do. give them both a listen. audition is always best way to choose

Pls audition polk audio, they sound good for movies IMHO. I understand you have stairs behind, how about rear left and right?

Pls audition polk audio, they sound good for movies IMHO. I understand you have stairs behind, how about rear left and right?

Well the staircase starts from behind and runs a circle towards the right side, so if you imagine there isn't much space on the right side too, I can try placing the right rear speaker just below the staircase on the right side, not sure if that's going to be right. On the left side I have some space leading towards the staircase and main door. Thing is I don't want to regret buying the rear speakers hence I was looking at a 3.1 setup.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back