Need Suggestion - Amp or AVR for the start

In my opinion, Denon is neutral or may be slightly on bright side of neutral. So it doesn't pair well with speakers that are bright.

I would pick Denon for Music only if my speakers are laidback and needs some sparkle. Denon would be a bad choice for speakers that already have some added treble enegy or overall forward presentation. But it's a completely different story for movies.

@RaaR I suggested Marantz as you said you like warm sound. Denon would not give you that. With Denon, you would get either neutral or bright sound signature depending on your speakers.

Last edited:
The Prototypes are ready and he will power them in a while and share the recordings as well. Pretty excited with the developments
I'll keep this thread updated with the developments.

Also I'm archiving the updates from the beginning in my Insta profile story, below is the link for reference:

Note: அ.. ஆ... (Ah.. Aah...) is the name I have decided for my towers, the first two letters of Tamil Alphabets

View attachment 60812View attachment 60811
Am dying to know what OP eventually did!

Wouldn't his use case be a good one for pre-pro?

Am dying to know what OP eventually did!

Wouldn't his use case be a good one for pre-pro?
Ha ha, even I'm waiting to know. Sonicarchitect is yet to complete my build - he already told me he can only work on weekends and also mine is the first set of towers he's building.

He's currently working on few other prototypes (One is a horn-based model I know of: https://www.instagram.com/p/CWRiIT-sy2k/?utm_medium=copy_link). He wants me to audition those prototypes as well and I'm equally excited as him

I'll surely update here once the final product is ready. I'm also excited to share the news once it is done

And about processor hunt - it is still ON. I'll decide on which bullet to bite only after my build is ready. Sonicarchitect (aka) Sahil Thappa is planning to pair it with Arylic Amp board currently and is also awaiting for Aniket's DD (Discrete Dynamics) amp - so I'll receive recording sample from these two amps at any point in time.

Apart from these I also eye SR7013 or X4500H(current year models are way out of my budget at this point) mainly because they have Auro-3D support (though there aren't much titles with Auro-3D track, I've read on multiple forums and videos that Dolby Atmos track sound awesome with auro up mixer). But the search is still ON, so let me wait on it as well

My current plan is to pair my towers first with an power amp - preferably DD, if Sonicarchitect's recording sounds awesome.

Also @Love4sound has ordered a 3 channel amp from Aniket (DD amp), I'll audition it for HT performance

My initial plan is to start with a 2.0 or 2.1 setup for a while and to expand my rigs. So this will work fine I believe. If amp is going to cost high, I'll skip it to acquire AVR.

And your setup looks lovely @k-pad , like @raghupb said that rustic look is a beauty to picture

As far as current rigs are concerned - my first HT purchase was Nvidia Shield Pro (been a year already) and now few weeks back purchased my projector - Xgimi H3S. If flights aren't cancelled, I'll receive it in a week's time from now (friend hand-carrying it to Chennai)

Ha ha, even I'm waiting to know. Sonicarchitect is yet to complete my build - he already told me he can only work on weekends and also mine is the first set of towers he's building.
First up, lovely to hear from you bro! Stumbled on the thread and got worried why there were no more updates.

He's currently working on few other prototypes (One is a horn-based model I know of: https://www.instagram.com/p/CWRiIT-sy2k/?utm_medium=copy_link). He wants me to audition those prototypes as well and I'm equally excited as him

I'll surely update here once the final product is ready. I'm also excited to share the news once it is done
But which of those two monsters you chose for the final build?!

And about processor hunt - it is still ON. I'll decide on which bullet to bite only after my build is ready. Sonicarchitect (aka) Sahil Thappa is planning to pair it with Arylic Amp board currently and is also awaiting for Aniket's DD (Discrete Dynamics) amp - so I'll receive recording sample from these two amps at any point in time.

Apart from these I also eye SR7013 or X4500H(current year models are way out of my budget at this point) mainly because they have Auro-3D support (though there aren't much titles with Auro-3D track, I've read on multiple forums and videos that Dolby Atmos track sound awesome with auro up mixer). But the search is still ON, so let me wait on it as well

My current plan is to pair my towers first with an power amp - preferably DD, if Sonicarchitect's recording sounds awesome.

Also @Love4sound has ordered a 3 channel amp from Aniket (DD amp), I'll audition it for HT performance
I get a sense that this a great build. Go for it.
My initial plan is to start with a 2.0 or 2.1 setup for a while and to expand my rigs. So this will work fine I believe. If amp is going to cost high, I'll skip it to acquire AVR.
Me personally, I love the channel separation for movies. Hence thought you would be served better with a pre-pro.
And your setup looks lovely @k-pad , like @raghupb said that rustic look is a beauty to picture
:D Now that you say it, I didn't think he meant it as a compliment. My bad. That's a good way to read it too :D
As far as current rigs are concerned - my first HT purchase was Nvidia Shield Pro (been a year already) and now few weeks back purchased my projector - Xgimi H3S. If flights aren't cancelled, I'll receive it in a week's time from now (friend hand-carrying it to Chennai)
Just looked this up. That's a badass!
How you planning to pair the music and movies set up?

PS: When it comes to WAF, am afraid am the W :D

Last edited:
First up, lovely to hear from you bro! Stumbled on the thread and got worried why there were no more updates.

My progress is a bit slow and that's why Anyway my initial setup will be ready by March.
Just looked this up. That's a badass!
How you planning to pair the music and movies set up?
I'm currently in a 2BHK setup and have already decided to move to a 3BHK setup for a dedicated HT room. Now since I got my projector, I'll move by Feb max and then I can share the exact setup.

But I've an idea already inspired by the posts here But haven't made a soft design of it yet.

I heard of Xgimi brand first time from @elangoas , do check his journey - you will be Amazed ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
But which of those two monsters you chose for the final build?!
Sahil wants me to listen to Horn model's recording too and like I said, I'm also eager to hear them. Only after then, I'm deciding on the final build. It is not yet finalized.

Me personally, I love the channel separation for movies. Hence thought you would be served better with a pre-pro.
Ha ha, even I am. My words went bit wrong. My plan is to setup a 5.1.2 (or) 5.1.4 (or) 5.2.2 (or) 5.2.4

And I'm not having enough funds to set it up in one go. So I'm starting with a 2.0 (or) 2.1 but decided to get an AVR with Auro3D and nothing lower. I'll then expand the setup in the span of not more than 2 years. Considering the current hike with AVRs (even in grey market), I'm planning to start with a Power Amp which I can use later to power LCR with preouts. If I get a sweet deal somewhere in this period, my first purchase will be the AVR than the Amp (and my preference is Marantz as my taste inclined to warm signature).
:D Now that you say it, I didn't think he meant it as a compliment. My bad. That's a good way to read it too :D
Ha ha, Raghu clearly complimented you. Those wooden doors look damn good and you took the perfect shot with Marley there, how come he can resist from complimenting such a lovely setup ❤️❤️❤️

My progress is a bit slow and that's why Anyway my initial setup will be ready by March.

I'm currently in a 2BHK setup and have already decided to move to a 3BHK setup for a dedicated HT room. Now since I got my projector, I'll move by Feb max and then I can share the exact setup.

But I've an idea already inspired by the posts here But haven't made a soft design of it yet.

I heard of Xgimi brand first time from @elangoas , do check his journey - you will be Amazed ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Sahil wants me to listen to Horn model's recording too and like I said, I'm also eager to hear them. Only after then, I'm deciding on the final build. It is not yet finalized.
Love your clarity of thought overall!
I really wanna know which of those two beasts you decided to live with but. :D
Please, please drop a pic here once they reach you.

Ha ha, even I am. My words went bit wrong. My plan is to setup a 5.1.2 (or) 5.1.4 (or) 5.2.2 (or) 5.2.4

And I'm not having enough funds to set it up in one go. So I'm starting with a 2.0 (or) 2.1 but decided to get an AVR with Auro3D and nothing lower. I'll then expand the setup in the span of not more than 2 years. Considering the current hike with AVRs (even in grey market), I'm planning to start with a Power Amp which I can use later to power LCR with preouts. If I get a sweet deal somewhere in this period, my first purchase will be the AVR than the Amp (and my preference is Marantz as my taste inclined to warm signature).
It's a good idea (I mean the waiting, not the Auro)
I think around the time you are ready, the prices are really coming down.
But there is a part of me that is thinking when Denon/Marantz see end of year figures for 2021 in India, they might not really relent.
It is just a personal surmise, but you'd really do well sticking to your chosen path, which is something I really like in your posts.
Ha ha, Raghu clearly complimented you. Those wooden doors look damn good and you took the perfect shot with Marley there, how come he can resist from complimenting such a lovely setup ❤️❤️❤️
Haha! He's been a gem. No knock on him. One of the loveliest and most helpful FMs around.
Wish he enters the HT space soon...

And Mr. Elango, I have been following.... Lovely work. I'll be buzzing all around him if and when I aspire to a set up like his, for sure.

A quick update on the progress of my custom made speakers. I switched from my previous choice of towers to a horn based speaker (it lies between a tower and a bookshelf).

Below are the 3 final prototypes I was offered to choose from:
sahilthappa-20220120-0001-01.jpeg

I listened to audio samples of all 3 prototypes, though all 3 sounded good I loved the way the high and mids sounded and in detail from the horn model. Hence decided to go with the horn one. The third model is concentric (white grilled one, in this model the woofer and tweeter are aligned one top the other). After we finalized which model to go with, Sahil (SonicArchitect) started the build with teak wood.

And now here we are with the final build oiled and ready with final touches remaining (a magnetic grill, initials to include, and base spikes which I asked for).

IMG-20220626-WA0031.jpg
IMG-20220626-WA0030.jpg
IMG-20220626-WA0029.jpg

I need your inputs on the kind of amp and cable to go for, with the current market price I don't think I can afford an AVR. Hence decided to stick to an amp for a while now.

My choice for cables is to go with AmazonBasics AWG ones, but open to suggestions. Sahil himself is also custom making cables and offered to do a pair for me, if I am interested. I'm yet to make the call though.

I controlled my urge to get my first set of speakers and after multiple auditioning, reading through multiple forums - I had my choices of floorstanders to begin with - Fyneaudio f303 was my choice. Meanwhile planned to discuss with Sonicarchitect to get an additional Bluetooth or monolith speaker for my wife. Though my discussion with Sahil started on that note, I also happened to discuss about the floorstanders plan which I predominantly decided to be a 50/50 for music and movies. Our discussion went on for few months, all of them were longer ones and meanwhile I listened to multiple recordings of his previous speakers in that period. I got more confident with his work and decided to let him make his/my first pair of towers. So far he has made only bookshelf speakers and monolith ones.

He suggested he can build one very similar to Sibelius SG/CG from Pearl Acoustics, I also decided to go ahead and gave him the nod. My only concern was the signature shouldn't be bright as I am into warm signature and bright fatigues me much. I explained him the same and also informed him the bass should be tight and quick, not to be boomy. He assured me to make one to my taste.

Just like Sibelius SG, he went with Markaudio 6.5 inch full range gold driver and is currently building the prototypes for my tower. He proposed to make two different enclosures, and record the sound. Based on that we decided to figure which suits to my taste. Once the prototype is fixed, he'll make the final build and it will be of complete teak.

He'll be recording the prototypes with a A/B amp he sourced and suggested he can get one for me.

I am going to use it for both movies and music, for time being I will stick to the towers alone, might add one or pair of subs for movie experience. But down the line decided to expand it to Dolby Atmos setup.

Now the thing is, I have few doubts -
1) should I go for an AVR at the very beginning?! Or an Amp will do fine?!
2) If it is an AVR, which one will be good?! I was trying to get x4500H or x3600H somehow or should I go for equivalent models from Marantz. Do suggest other options as well.

3) If an Amp it is to begin with, what would be the ideal choice to start with?! I am juggling between the Amp he would suggest and PM6007 for time being, as Marantz would be warm and musical to my taste and can also be paired with an AVR in the future if I go this route. But confused whether it will pair fine or not.

Note: Sahil suggested I might not need a Sub as the towers will suffice enough Bass required, though I will decide it once I receive them as movies will also be option of playlist. But I also have plans to go all towers route and get them made from him. Center alone will not be a tower, but will be having a markaudio driver of similar signature.

Every possible suggestions and plans are welcome here as I will read and research from the inputs I gain here.
Hi !
Your message shows you are not specific for listening 2.1 stereo or AVR .If you have plan to see movie then go for AVR .There are many brands like Marantz,Denon,Emotiva etc.If interested for audio listening only then you go for 2.1 stereo.You can pick the amplifier like Denon ,Cambridge Audio as per your choice. Main thing is your listening choice whether you listen old music's or modern like rock ,pop Jazz etc.You will enjoy with 2.1 rather than AVR if listen pure analogue music.Take a good stereo amplifier like Accuphase or Luxman of entry level according to the specifications of your Speaker and enjoy.For home theater go for Anthem or Marantz.

I finally got my pair of LR in hand. I have paired them currently with a custom built Class-D amplifier by sonic architect with tone-controls (treble, mid, and Bass) on board. The sound I get is terrific even for an untreated room like mine. The only thing I am looking out right now is to audition PM 6007 paired with my LR. The amplifier I have sounds sweet, but they are neutral in nature. Hence I would like to audition PM6007 with them (for a warmer signature). Any member from Chennai who owns PM6007, kindly help me on this. My idea is to own an AVR down the line (preferably Marantz SR7xxx series), hence thinking whether to get PM6007 now or stick to thr custom built amp and pair them with a warmer DAC from Topping or SMSL.

I would love to have suggestions from forum members on what to try pairing with these pair of horn speakers - Warmer DACs is all I'm looking for. Also, help from any Chennai members owning a warmer DAC or PM6007 will be helpful to make a decision.

The speakers are highly sensitive. The cute pic from below is taken by sonicarchitect at his place and not from my untreated room.
The amp from the picture is what I own. You can read more about the speakers from the following link:

sonicarchitect-20221010-0001.jpeg

Here's a pic from my untreated room, I'm planning to add floor carpet shortly. Though the room is untreated, the details are clear - especially the bass is perfect and nowhere close to muddiness. It is that clear-defined.
IMG_20221011_173941__01-min.jpg

Also, please find the compression driver details below:
Compression Driver Details - AhAah.jpg

Woofer details below:
Woofer Details - AhAah.jpg

Looking forward to get interesting suggestions & feedback.

I forgot to add this, these are highly sensitive speakers and the amp I have now has 30W per channel at most. But I hardly reach 10W per channel which is way too loud actually.

I reach 10W when I choose Shield Pro as my source routed via Temptotec HD Pro to the amp.

When I choose my Laptop as source, I never crossed 5W per channel routed via Tempotec HD Pro to the amp.

i suggest not to go with both amp and avr of same brand, if u consider using the stereo amp to drive front channels of avr . while increasing or decreasing the vol in remote, both amp and avr will respond. i was in similar stage, i had a marantz sr7008 avr and pm7005 stereo amp and had to mask ir sensor of stereo amp while watching movies.

Sharing a Whatsapp Compressed Sample Recording of my setup. I am in search of replacing my DAC with a DAC with warm and non-fatigue signature, currently looking at ifi zen dac v2 vs Topping E50, but unsure how they sound, gonna choose one without auditioning hence need your inputs.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back