need suggestion for 5.1 HT setup with Polk+Denon

plikmuny

Hi friends, after a lot of reading in speakers section. I am creating this thread to know more about 5.1 stereo setup for my little apartment.

I had wharfedale dx-1 hcp with denon avr x500 setup. the sound output made me very happy as it was the first 5.1 HT setup for me. but after sometime I started feeling like the music is not complete.

Hence i sold the avr and dx-1 together. I am now in the lookout for a good 5.1 channel stereo setup for my multimedia experience. My prefpreference would be 50:50 music and movies.
I thought of buying ETC 5.1 finally, but somehow I am not happy with buying complete package once again after dx-1 experience.

Pls help me buy a very good budget friendly 5.1 HT system for me. budget would be <1000$.

I am sure many experts here would guide me in the right path in making good decision before I buy new setup.

Polk and denon go well together I heard. If I buy satellite surrounds and center from polk, should I buy sub from polk itself or I can use SVS also for example.
Is denon a must or do I have other cheaper choices for same music treat?

Lot of questions popping out of my head especially after reading again and again in this forum. Pls clear my confusions and guide me friends and experts.

Thanks in advance.

60 views and no one wants to help me ? Come on guys. I need your help pls... Share your knowledge and expertise. Guide me for good combination purchase... Thanks in advance

looking onto your budget .. you might not get a big theater like setup. However you can go with Dali Zensor 5.1 package. You can also go for polks rti series along with polk center channel.
For sub you can go for ID companies like SVS.

hi der...check my thread...if your preference is music...especially vocals ,piano etc...you should check KEF or warffdale or similar kind of brands....polk are good for only movies & music where the vocals are less prominent.....KEF gives a rich thick vocals....very natural sounding.....
I would suggest denon as they very warm sounding....

I am really confused to the core now after reading so many reviews about dali, wharfs, q acoustics and so on... I am really clueless on which one to decide and invest my money. I won't change it at least for the next 5yrs min. I won't listen to music much but when I want to in 50:50 situations, it should sound satisfying.

Can I buy wharfs diamond 220 front and surround + diamond 220c satellite+ svs pb1000 sub connected to denon x1000 ? Will that be a good combination for my expectation?
Any other brands which would give me best results in my budget ? Pls suggest me...
@ Danish: can you share the link to your thread pls...

Thanks in advance to you both for your advices...

Sorry, the above mentioned setup also goes beyond my budget I feel now.
Here is my modified setup plan
Polk audio tsx110B -2 pairs as satellite speakers
Polk audio tsx150C as centre speaker
Polk audio Psw 110B as sub
Denon Avr X1000 as AV receiver.

Does it serve my purpose and is this combination any good ? I am sure it is definitely better than dx-1 HCP but I don't know how good it is compared to diamond 220 series 5.1 setup.

Any advice on this from expert users pls ?

Thanks in advance...

Same like my setup. Only that you are eyeing the x1000. The combination is beautiful and i love it for my movies as well as music. It may or may not be better than wharfedale 200, thats personal preferance. What hifi rates the diamond 220 5stars. It all depends ob you now. You need to audition and decide. The polks rock for movies and will be a tough competition for even higher priced systems. The sound for movies is undoubtedly the best in its class. The speaker does require a lot of break in and once done they become a little more softer and warmer.

Have recently had a demo of Polk tsx330T(FS) and wharfedales diamond 122(BS). The avr, sources, interconnects, cables etc are different as the demo happened in different places. Even with same setup I wouldn't expect a significant change.
To my ears there is no comparison at all. Whatfedale is miles ahead of polk for music. Polk could not deliver the music the way I wished to hear it. It was good for movies only.

Polk is an american made and it does not mean they are not fit for any music. Polk has it own sound signature which best suited for the below kind of music :-

1. Trance/Dance
2. Pop.
3. Rock-Roll
4. Hard- Rock with hard vocals
5.Soft rock/Country with thin vocals/guitar
6. Basically any music which does not require any "thick" vocals coming out.

It normally do wonders on majority of the western music. It is not muddy and I have felt it is well separated and very clean on high & mids. Only that its quality of the mid is different and the way it behave is more soothing for a different set of audience.
I have also heard when we audition the speakers it have thin mids but as time passes by the mids open up (for break-ins)....there are so many buyers who cliam than the mids improve as time goes by......check with FM here.

All said, if you need thick vocals, I would suggest looking for the KEF. They are the most warm & neutral sounding speakers.

Thanks,
Danish

Personally i had a demo of kef and polk side by side @profx. The budget at what i was getting the tsx110b+tsx150c+tsx110b+psw110 i was not able to afford any equivalent kef setup and all i could get was a kef sat-sub package. The polks were miles ahead in terms of music and movies. The difference in price to get a similarly priced kef and polk in terms of specs is quite significant for some people. Definately its personal choice and yes as pointed out by fm danish polk is really good at rock genre and it excels in terms of movies. Pair a polk with denon and it shines out. Definately the break in time is long and once its done all you get is a good speaker well broken and the mids get a bit heavier. And i love the speakers as i have never got ear fatigue in long listening sessions. I can go on and on for 4-5hrs without getting my ears strained. Audition is a must and an important factor in selection of speakers.

Thanks guys for ur invaluable opinions. I agree wharfs got 5star rating and might be better than Polk, but I am a movie fan and I love hiphop and bass more. So in my budget I guess Polk suits me better.
I don't know yet as the price difference is considerable at present, but when I am about to buy if the price difference is not that much, will definitely get diamond 220 with svs pb1000 sub along with demon x1000. I know that would be overkill for my budget but what to do mind won't let me settle for something less.... Always the best...

Should I follow only these 2 brands or are there any other brands also which I should watch out for ?

Thanks in advance.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back