Need suggestion for my first music system setup

dev.

Hey Guys,

Happy new year to all of you :) I have been trying to get my first music system from almost one year, but was getting delayed for various reasons. I need your suggestion / opinion on my idea.

I am planning to setup a music system to meet the following requirements;
  • This is 100% going to be used only for music.
  • All my music is going to be from PC.
  • My living room's size is around 13x13

What I have right now;
  • A branded IBM P4 system and it's noise level is almost zero.
  • Budget of 20-25K for the whole setup.

After following various threads here (special thanks to iaudio who helped me with many stupid questions in the past), this is what I have in mind;
  • Option 1: Tripath TP20 + JBL Control One.
  • Option 2: Asus Xonar Essense ST Sound Card + Suitable Speakers (ofcourse within my budget)
Here are my doubts:
  • Would I still require an amplifier to be used along with Asus Xonar Sound card? If so, can TP 20 still be a good choice?
  • If I don't require an Amp and can directly hook the speakers to Asus Xonar Sound card, what would be the best pairing speakers? I prefer to have BS speakers.

Can you guys please suggest me on which option is better and any other suggestions on the whole Idea?

Thanks.

ranjeetrain,

Thank you very much. AE5 seems to be powered BS speakers :) hence the price I think. Are there any other combinations available too? I am a bit worried because I guess AE5 would cost around 22K and Asus card is around 10.6K, both together will not fit in my budget (my budget is around 20-25K).

I will however keep a lookout for an used AE5 here :) Thanks again.

Another route is to look at Norge amplifiers and speakers.

3rd option is to keep an eye on the buy-sell threads here. If someone is selling entry level gear you may be able to get an entry level setup around 15/20 k. Which will perform at par with AE5 or better. Plus, it will a long term investment and with an upgrade route.

Did you mean PC + Asus Xonar Essense -> Norge Amps -> Speakers ? If so, would Norge 2060 ( I guess this is entry level Amp) with proper speakers pair well?

Sure, I am already doing that :) Hope to find one soon.

AudioEngince is well respected. But the kind of dynamics you can get from an dedicated setup, say for instance you happen to land with a Wharfy or a Tannoy entry level. Then all you need is an entry level pre-owned amp to make music. Besides, you will lose less money when you upgrade.

Haven't tried the Asus Xonar, but I have read good things about it. The option 1, I am already using right now - TP-20 MK2 with Dali Ikon 6! (Yes, it is driving them to medium loudness with no problem). Earlier I used Polk Audio TSi300 with TP-20, which too went loud enough and sound quality equal to any 20 - 30 K amp. The important point is - at normal volumes and with bookshelf speakers like Q-Acoustics, PSB, etc, this combination offers a kind of sound which AE5 may not be able to. I say 'may not' because I have used AE2 for a long time. AE5 may be better.

My TP-20 MK2 is 3 weeks old. Let me know if you are interested. Because of the surprisingly good sound I immediately ordered a much more powerful T-AMP 90 from the same place, which is expected soon.

Haven't tried the Asus Xonar, but I have read good things about it. The option 1, I am already using right now - TP-20 MK2 with Dali Ikon 6! (Yes, it is driving them to medium loudness with no problem). Earlier I used Polk Audio TSi300 with TP-20, which too went loud enough and sound quality equal to any 20 - 30 K amp. The important point is - at normal volumes and with bookshelf speakers like Q-Acoustics, PSB, etc, this combination offers a kind of sound which AE5 may not be able to. I say 'may not' because I have used AE2 for a long time. AE5 may be better.

My TP-20 MK2 is 3 weeks old. Let me know if you are interested. Because of the surprisingly good sound I immediately ordered a much more powerful T-AMP 90 from the same place, which is expected soon.

Sent you a PM. (Please let me know if you haven't received it because I am not able to see that message in my Sent Items)

AudioEngince is well respected. But the kind of dynamics you can get from an dedicated setup, say for instance you happen to land with a Wharfy or a Tannoy entry level. Then all you need is an entry level pre-owned amp to make music. Besides, you will lose less money when you upgrade.

Thanks for the details. Will continue to keep a closer watch on Used Amps.

dev. Regarding your two doubts,

1. You would need to use an amp to power speakers, with the Asus Xonar ST. The Xonar ST would be able to power headphones adequately though. Ultimately, think of the ST as only a source/player like your CD player, DVD player etc.

2. No, you would not be able to run passive Bookshelf speakers directly off your Asus ST card. And yes, the Tripath TP20 is a very good option if you want to go for passive speakers.

As another option why dont you look at the Edirol ma 150d that hemanthwaghe has posted about. That seems to be a good option at the price point.

Again, if you are set on going for separates and a passive speaker set up, have a look at sound cards like m audio, esi juli@, nuforce dac etc. Spend the money saved on getting better speakers. Used speakers would be the better option at this price point.

As for the amp, get the tp20 or a used Marantz, Nad or any of the usual suspects for around 5-6k.
Being in Bangalore, the job should be much more easier as far as auditions go or help from other members are concerned.

dev. Regarding your two doubts,

1. You would need to use an amp to power speakers, with the Asus Xonar ST. The Xonar ST would be able to power headphones adequately though. Ultimately, think of the ST as only a source/player like your CD player, DVD player etc.

2. No, you would not be able to run passive Bookshelf speakers directly off your Asus ST card. And yes, the Tripath TP20 is a very good option if you want to go for passive speakers.

As another option why dont you look at the Edirol ma 150d that hemanthwaghe has posted about. That seems to be a good option at the price point.

Again, if you are set on going for separates and a passive speaker set up, have a look at sound cards like m audio, esi juli@, nuforce dac etc. Spend the money saved on getting better speakers. Used speakers would be the better option at this price point.

As for the amp, get the tp20 or a used Marantz, Nad or any of the usual suspects for around 5-6k.
Being in Bangalore, the job should be much more easier as far as auditions go or help from other members are concerned.

Thank you very much for all the details :) My preference is to go for a dedicated amp and then a passive speaker so that my upgrade path would be easier.

After I heard the opinions from various members here, I am really thinking about other sound cards as well. Hopefully I can find a VFM Amp and suitable speakers.

I will keep you guys updated.

You can consider Norge 2060 with Wharfedale 10.1 or even Norge Millenium Bookshelf

You are right, Norge 2060's reviews seem to be great. As of now, I am looking for used amps in the range of 5-6K and save the money for good speakers (also the sound card infact). If someone has good amps in this range and want to sell it off, please do let me know :)

Managed to get an used M-Audio 2496 PCI Sound Card from our forum member :) Now towards the Amp and Speakers.

Hello Guys,

I finally got my music system setup and very very happy with it. Thanks to HIFIVision, I met many of the forum members who were so helpful to me. I donno if they would be comfortable in me revealing their names, but thank you guys :) This is my current setup;

1. DENON PMA 525R AMP
2. Energy e:XL-15B-1 speakers
3. M Audio 2496 Sound Card
4. P4 System with Voyage Linux + MPD
5. An Android phone to remotely control the playback over WIFI.

I am going to be replacing this P4 system with preferably an ATOM system to reduce the power consumption. Will keep you guys updated.

Dev, nice to know you have managed to set up your system. Here is wishing you lots of good music and enjoyment with it. Do post a picture if you can.

Thank you. I have not arranged them as they are suppose to be :) but I will definitely share the pics here.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back