Need suggestion for NAS storage

shankarcams

I am using a Maxtor 2TB NAS for storing all my FLACs and a Sonos to stream into my system. The Maxtor is giving up the ghost and needs to be replaced. I seem to only find a Seagate equivalent. Does anybody have experience with a DLNA server cum NAS storage with at least 2TB and RAID 1?

Shankar, there are a number of NASes available in the market. It all depends upon your budget.

Cheers

If you are inclined towards DIY and has an ever increasing storage needs, the best solution would be to go for UnRaid Server. You can keep on adding HDD's as your storage demands increase. In comparison to ready-built solutions, this works out much cheaper too. I'm in the process of sourcing some Hotswap SATA trays for UnRaid server for my 15TB and growing storage.

Checkout UnRaid NAS @ Home

hi - can you pls post pics of your setup.

If the above question was to me, I haven't completed my build. I'm following the RB-1200 build specs pretty much the same. I've procured most of the components via Ebay and Craigslist (Ottawa) but I'm still waiting for the SATA Hotswap trays, better power supply and the case.

I'll post build pictures in a separate thread as I progress.

Where r u in bangalore? ;);)Thinking of pulling out a dedicated LAN line from your house, the best and economical way to have a media server.:yahoo::yahoo:

Where r u in bangalore? ;);)Thinking of pulling out a dedicated LAN line from your house, the best and economical way to have a media server.:yahoo::yahoo:

You are welcome...:lol:

This is what happens when you work on designing a product which sells in volumes in aeronautics and locomotive industry (uses 6x HDD in each unit) and HDD manufacturers queue behind you to use their HDD's in the product.

End result: I ended up with tons of enterprise grade HDD's with capacities ranging from 750GB to 1TB which came in as free samples for vibration and environmental testing/qualification to be used in our product. Needless to say lots of them remained unused with me.

So put them to good use with a 5mbps unlimited internet connection and a Rapidshare account while abroad.

But I ran into a tricky problem while relocating to India. These HDD's are damn heavy so had to sell lots of them via Craigslist and carried what I could to India (some 22TB total). The contents are highly assorted ranging from documentaries to Movies to Mp3's but highly un-assorted at the moment. I'm building the unRaid server to categorize and safe-keep (mirror) critical media I've downloaded or ripped over the past 5 or so years.

Try G-technology if you need an off the shelf solution . The NAS is been made by Hitachi and they are made for MAC environment . The NAS boxes have raid and a very good throughput for streaming .

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back