Need suggestion in buying Used *B&W ASW10CM S2*

ajeetk

Hi Respected members,

I am getting a deal to buy *B&W ASW10CM S2* in 45k, I think it's 5-6 years old.

Condition due to cosmetic is 8/10 and performance is good.

500w rms output and range is 25-140 Hz.

I am very new to it and need your opinion that is it a good buy or not.
Kindly help...

think it's 5-6 years old.
It's Aged more than that i think ; I don't buy >5yr old subwoofers, as they loose their Tightened Bass appeal. Also the Subwoofer Plate Amplifiers start giving problems sooner than later, some baseline hiss is usually audible and later a distortion keeps coming in on driving hard. At 45k it's not a bargain price, unless you are damn sure that its in pristine aesthetic condition and relatively unused, like owners living abroad and visiting once a year etc.

Reconsider and renegotiate it to below 30k, because you won't get anything worthwhile in subwoofers under 30k.

It's Aged more than that i think ; I don't buy >5yr old subwoofers, as they loose their Tightened Bass appeal. Also the Subwoofer Plate Amplifiers start giving problems sooner than later, some baseline hiss is usually audible and later a distortion keeps coming in on driving hard. At 45k it's not a bargain price, unless you are damn sure that its in pristine aesthetic condition and relatively unused, like owners living abroad and visiting once a year etc.

Reconsider and renegotiate it to below 30k, because you won't get anything worthwhile in subwoofers under 30k.
Thank you so much for your response.

One of my friend expert in this audio too said same thing as you mentioned.

I will skip this altogether then, I am thinking to buy a good sub and use it for a longer period.

IMHO B & W Speakers and subs are built to last at least 20 years. This particular sub goes as low as 25hz and class D amp which are its redeeming features.
I had my BIC subwoofer "plate amp" fail after 1.5 years whereas my Atlantic technology sub lasted well above 10 years but the drivers for both are pretty intact and good as new.

Yes, some brands fail(Earthquake sub?) a lot more often but we cannot generalize.

B&W subwoofers use class AB plate amp and some models are reported to have plate amp issue due to heat. Class D sub are safe to buy as preown provided seller discloses true product history.

Hi Respected members,

I am getting a deal to buy *B&W ASW10CM S2* in 45k, I think it's 5-6 years old.

Condition due to cosmetic is 8/10 and performance is good.

500w rms output and range is 25-140 Hz.

I am very new to it and need your opinion that is it a good buy or not.
Kindly help...
I have the 250w version (asw610) and it’s a fantastic sub. the 500w has more extension in almost the same dimensions. I have used it now almost daily for 5 years (it’s in a bedroom system) and it’s not given any trouble so far. As long as you have an assurance of good handling, my sense is that it is an excellent buy.

in your place, I would also ignore any generalised comments on class AB and D.

As far as price is concerned, b&w subs are expensive, but resale is a great leveller On pricing. ( the used car market is a good analog). I believe that it might be worth it if it’s extremely well looked after… :)

edit: I did misread the model number , asw10cm —it’s a bit bigger than asw610, cosmetically more bling and shares the electronics and drivers with the 610xp. but those are all good things. Does not change my perspective about the unit.

Last edited:
I have the 250w version (asw610) and it’s a fantastic sub. the 500w has more extension in almost the same dimensions. I have used it now almost daily for 5 years (it’s in a bedroom system) and it’s not given any trouble so far. As long as you have an assurance of good handling, my sense is that it is an excellent buy.

in your place, I would also ignore any generalised comments on class AB and D.

As far as price is concerned, b&w subs are expensive, but resale is a great leveller On pricing. ( the used car market is a good analog). I believe that it might be worth it if it’s extremely well looked after… :)
Thanks kapvin, it will help I will cross check on conditions once again

Thanks kapvin, it will help I will cross check on conditions once again
You are welcome. I did edit the original post. It's not exactly the same sub. Also it's now closer to 6 years since I got the MT55 set.

I must give a caveat though, I love the tonality of the bass and it's extension, but I have never tested it for maximum output. I am sure that there are many vented subs it that price range which will be louder and more pounding. Buy whatever rocks your boat. Don't let anyone incl. me pressurise you in anyway. That's a surefire way to post purchase dissonance

You are welcome. I did edit the original post. It's not exactly the same sub. Also it's now closer to 6 years since I got the MT55 set.

I must give a caveat though, I love the tonality of the bass and it's extension, but I have never tested it for maximum output. I am sure that there are many vented subs it that price range which will be louder and more pounding. Buy whatever rocks your boat. Don't let anyone incl. me pressurise you in anyway. That's a surefire way to post purchase dissonance
Yes Kapvin, I understand it. I just needed experts opinion. Diverisifed opionion is always welcomed .

Once again thanks to you others too for your time and opinion, it is always in-dispensable.

I have a asw10cm s1 its the same as the s2 regarding specs mines in a surround sound bedroom system and it hits hard its been unused most of its life so its still good but definetly try that deal the sealed box makes the sub bass punchy at the right times and subtle when needed i use it daily and no complaints if you do pick up this sub the settings that worked best for me is the lowpass on in at about 60hz on the dial bass extension on A
the eq on B these settings helped me get the best sound from it the line level volume for me is pointing the opposite direction from the wording for the control and on my reciever i reduce the volume from 0db to minus 15db it depends on the listening hour and type of music
Hope this helps!

if you happen to find one again or if it is still avalible i would recomend to try it you might just not regret it!

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back