Need suggestion in choosing a DAC for stereo listening

I picked up the SMSL SU9 and I am super happy with it. Comes with almost all bells and whistles, and I needed something with a internal power supply and did not need different PSUs to ulter sound.

Paired it with Volumio Premium and playing Spotify and Tidal with MQA decoding. View attachment 67550
Do not keep the DAC under a Tube preamp ; Remove it ASAP.

What has this got to do with the type of DAC I wonder?????
I forgot to mention that the Indiq's are quite forgiving and given how Delta-Sigmas sound more analytical compared to Denfrips Ares II, based my statement on that.

But please correct me if I'm wrong as I'm always learning new things from the forums.

I forgot to mention that the Indiq's are quite forgiving and given how Delta-Sigmas sound more analytical compared to Denfrips Ares II, based my statement on that.
To universally categorize SD Dacs as analytical and R2R as forgiving or the Denafrips in particular is in my opinion generalisation.
One has to take note that Denafrips is only a DAC and its signal will pass through a preamp section unless the user is attenuating the volume at the digital source.
Now the call to take is whether the preamp is analytical, revealing, nuetral or forgiving to throw in more audiophile terms, and that will categorize the final outcome, including the amp if that too is a separate component.
If IndiQ speakers are forgiving, then does it mean that the upper mids to highs are rolled off???
In that case a forgiving DAC will even more colour the sound of the speakers.

That is why every component in the chain is critical (the speakers the most as that is the one that simulates the ear's diaphrams). So when each component is seen the isolation, it becomes difficult to decipher the final output.

If IndiQ speakers are forgiving, then does it mean that the upper mids to highs are rolled off???
In that case a forgiving DAC will even more colour the sound of the speakers.

That is why every component in the chain is critical (the speakers the most as that is the one that simulates the ear's diaphrams). So when each component is seen the isolation, it becomes difficult to decipher the final output.
Yes, the Indiq speakers are rolled off on the highs.

Not sure about a forgiving DAC coloring a pair of forgiving speakers even more, as I've tried only with the Topping E30 which is less analytical compared to the E50.

Completely agreed with your point on system synergy.

My whole point was to tell the OP that E50 is far more resolving compared to an average CD player or streamer's in-built DAC. Also, several R-2R DACs have created wonders with Indiq speakers.

My whole point was to tell the OP that E50 is far more resolving compared to an average CD player or streamer's in-built DAC. Also, several R-2R DACs have created wonders with Indiq speakers.
Could you please give some examples and if you've heard any of them yourself. Thanks

Could you please give some examples and if you've heard any of them yourself. Thanks
They were mostly custom/DIY and non-forum discussions. I've heard one DIY paired with Platinum Achals.
But if you search here, you might find few examples.

My whole point was to tell the OP that E50 is far more resolving compared to an average CD player or streamer's in-built DAC.
Don’t agree to this.

I’ve the E50 alongwith 3 CD players. Check my signature.
I’ve extensively compared native player sound with the sound of E50 played through the Denon CDP via coaxial.
To my ears , out of this combination, the NAD CD player by itself sounds the best.
This is followed by the Denon transport +E50 combo.
Third is Marantz CDP played by itself.
Do note that the differences are subtle and only apparent when you listen and compare very closely.

My sources are all CDs , mostly original. I listen to classic rock , jazz , ghazals, bengali folk etc.

PS: I’ve dedicated power supply for the E50 as well (Allo Nirvana) which improves the sound over a native mobile charger (how and why I’ve no clue ) :D

Last edited:
Don’t agree to this.

I’ve the E50 alongwith 3 CD players. Check my signature.
I’ve extensively compared native player sound with the sound of E50 played through the Denon CDP via coaxial.
To my ears , out of this combination, the NAD CD player by itself sounds the best.
This is followed by the Denon transport +E50 combo.
Third is Marantz CDP played by itself.
Do note that the differences are subtle and only apparent when you listen and compare very closely.

My sources are all CDs , mostly original. I listen to classic rock , jazz , ghazals, bengali folk etc.

PS: I’ve dedicated power supply for the E50 as well (Allo Nirvana) which improves the sound over a native mobile charger (how and why I’ve no clue ) :D
Thanks for this. Proves time and again why subjectivity matters.

Hope this gives the OP an idea of how difficult it becomes to recommend a product despite knowing his audio chain.

The OP has already bought Topping E50 and is happy with what it brings to the table.
My suggestion to FMs would be try something out before buying it. Dealer auditions may be limited.
Reach out to local FMs, they will have a wide variety of components. Something will click.

Cheers,
Raghu

Curious to know about your reasoning behind this statement.

Assuming that you have actually heard with the E50, just like what other experienced FMs have mentioned above, you must be having high quality source and speakers to ascertain the SQ difference (or the lack thereof) between the E50 and CD player or streamer's DAC.
What I mean is that, if he owns a decent cd player/streamer around 50-70k the E50 is not going to help which costs 12k. The difference might not be big enough to notice. It might also degrade the SQ that he was getting before.

What I mean is that, if he owns a decent cd player/streamer around 50-70k the E50 is not going to help which costs 12k. The difference might not be big enough to notice. It might also degrade the SQ that he was getting before.
The E50 costs double that price. You are confusing it with E30.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back