Need suggestion/reference docs for subwoofer build

Subbiya

Hi Experts,

I'm interested in building subwoofer of my own, can someone please suggest/share basic ideas, reference documents. one of my friend is a carpenter here so there would be no difficult in building the subwoofer box.

Below are my requirements.
-------------------------
12" inch driver
Plate Amp: Minimum RMS should be 200w
Should go atleast 25hz freq. resp.
Enclosure Type: Ported

I found only these in india, I dont want to import drivers/plate amp from foreign countries, as my basic concern is about cost.

Forte - 200 Watts Subwoofer Plate Amplifier
Peerless Fabrikkerne (I) Ltd - 12" Sub-Woofer

Thanks,
Subbiya

Regarding driver - excellent choice
Regarding amp - look for L25 class D on ebay.com
Calculate the enclosure using bassbox pro.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

One more thing - you might go for sealed. I don't like the sound signature of ported SWs (Even for movies - heard few expensive ported SWs already). I found them boomy.

IMHO... YMMV.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Why should vas of 256 be horrible? The xmax of this driver might be close to 4mm (I read it somewhere...don't remember where)

The Pioneer could be a nice alternative. But that is for car and not for home. So that might not suit some listeners.

There are other options as well - import from USA. Local option could be Ahuja sub driver.

Sent from a handheld device. Some typos may creep in

Why should vas of 256 be horrible? The xmax of this driver might be close to 4mm (I read it somewhere...don't remember where)

The Pioneer could be a nice alternative. But that is for car and not for home. So that might not suit some listeners.

There are other options as well - import from USA. Local option could be Ahuja sub driver.

Sent from a handheld device. Some typos may creep in

Before saying anything further I would very humbly state that I am not a critique of any brand nor I am against anyone's opinion or choice. I deeply respect each member on the forum.

Firstly, speaking of Vas, there are numerous definitions out there, discussing them will start a debate here, so keeping it simple, larger Vas equates to loose suspension which -> loose bass -> larger enclosure required for that that particular driver to reproduce frequencies close to its Fs.

for our peerless driver Vas is 256l which requires humongous box to go anything below say 40Hz. also considering it has a Xmax of 4mm, which too is very poor for a 12" sub, simulation in Bass box pro reveals that for a ported box tuned at 30Hz this driver would barely manage any usable spl below 60Hz, it is reaching its excursion limit at 80Hz, below that the voice coil starts to leave magnetic gap. cone displacement is destructive below 75Hz, it could take only 116W at 80Hz, 47W at 60Hz, 31W at 50Hz, and only 24W below 40Hz,

try to pump more power into it at low frequencies for long, it would self destruct itself with voice coil start bouncing out of the magnetic gap and the voice coil wire would scatter all over your room with burning smell.:D

This sub is best suited for a sealed enclosure, make a 50l sealed box with adequate damping, and make sure you dont pump any serious power into it below 80Hz for long duration.

Coming to the Pioneer sub for which I shared link, pls have a look at its tech specs and simulate it, excellent sub woofer, doesn't matter it is made for a car or a room.

I have always been a fan of pro drivers, consider these:
Ahuja Pa System World Co.

Ahuja Pa System World Co.

with the right box and good amplification they would easily trash many high end and expensive subs available.

Dear Subbiya,
i have just given my opinion, please feel free to build whatever suits you, we all can help you out with that.

Regards,
Aniket

if you can cough up the money for a good amp, look at car audio subs. the pioneer ts W306R is a decent option. high power amp boards are cheap, its the power supplies that kill you.

on the other hand, the pro drivers are high sentivity, and can play will with low power amps, but they have very little xmax, so hitting the very low frequencies might be an issue

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back