Need suggestion regarding Optimal Setting for Denon 1311 AV Receiver+JamoS406+Sub200

sudeep_ban1975

Hi Friends,

I am new to this forum as I registered recently; however, I have been following valuable suggestions from experts here, for quite some time now.

I've purchased an AV Receiver recently but I am not able to set it aptly.

The system comprises of the following:

5.1 AV Receiver - Denon 1311
Front Towers + Surround Speakers - Jamo S 406
Sub woofer - Jamo Sub 200 (I have kept the subwoofer on a thick cloth rug as suggested by the dealer)

May I request the veteran users out here to guide me in setting up the system to perfection?

The system has been set up as follows:

Room Size: 10ft X 10ft
Front Towers: 2.3 Meters from seating position
Centre Speaker:2.5 Meters from seating position
Subwoofer: 2.5 Meters from seating position (Just Behind Right Tower - Front Speaker)
Surround Speakers: 1.2 Meters from seating position

LCD TV: Panasonic 42 S20D
Set Top Box (Airtel HD) - Connected it with the TV via HDMI and through coaxial cable with the AV receiver but is optical cable connectin a better option??
Blu Ray Player: Philips BDP7500 - Connected it to the receiver through HDMI.

The HDMI out from the AV receiver is connected with the TV.

This is the current set up. Can there be a better option?

Couple of other specific questions:

1. What is the importance of Phase control & Cut Out control on the sub woofer?
2. At what Hertz should I set each speaker for cross over
3. I have set LFE + Main as the prefered mode for bass management. Should I change it to only LFE?

Would really appreciate your valuable inputs. Finally, its great to be part of this forum.

Look forward to a volley of suggestions...
- Sudeep

Last edited:
Re: Need suggestion regarding Optimal Setting for Denon 1311 AV Receiver+JamoS406+Sub

Connect Airtel to HD to AVR , You will not need to run a Optical / Co axial cable separately. ( if there is no Bug like TS HD) Also there is no Diff in Optical / Co axial for SQ. Run only one cable to TV ( Best part of getting a AVR)

"Subwoofer: 2.5 Meters from seating position (Just Behind Right Tower - Front Speaker)"

Front - Left ,center and Front -Right and sub are in my opinion optimal if they are in same line.

in case your AVR is not able to do bass management. Most Manufacturers suggest to rely on avr for the same and turn them on sub off.

My advice start at the lowest the speakers can go then add 10 to that and then from there up as per your preference.

Eg. If speakers can go till 80 Hz, make the crossover 90 hz. This is purely on ones preference. You can make it +5 increments instead of 10

3. I have set LFE + Main as the preferred mode for bass management. Should I change it to only LFE?

Should be LFE only, may be you can play around to see if there is any diff.

Re: Need suggestion regarding Optimal Setting for Denon 1311 AV Receiver+JamoS406+Sub

Connect Airtel to HD to AVR , You will not need to run a Optical / Co axial cable separately. ( if there is no Bug like TS HD) Also there is no Diff in Optical / Co axial for SQ. Run only one cable to TV ( Best part of getting a AVR)

"Subwoofer: 2.5 Meters from seating position (Just Behind Right Tower - Front Speaker)"

Front - Left ,center and Front -Right and sub are in my opinion optimal if they are in same line.

in case your AVR is not able to do bass management. Most Manufacturers suggest to rely on avr for the same and turn them on sub off.

My advice start at the lowest the speakers can go then add 10 to that and then from there up as per your preference.

Eg. If speakers can go till 80 Hz, make the crossover 90 hz. This is purely on ones preference. You can make it +5 increments instead of 10

3. I have set LFE + Main as the preferred mode for bass management. Should I change it to only LFE?

Should be LFE only, may be you can play around to see if there is any diff.
Thanks Jatin for your crisp advice. Will try the same and share the result here.

Thanks for your time.

Regards

- Sudeep

Hey Sudeep, hope u r doin well..

Couple of suggestions.. it may make some difference to your listening experience..

1. Make all the speakers SMALL in your AVR. Let the subwoofer handle all the bass.. specially when you are watchin movies... When i am listenin to music and not using sub then only i make front towers as Large.

2. In subwoofer try with Cut off and Volume Level at 50%.. Later u can set it according to ur preference if u dont like the sound. Generally REV phase it used for subwoofer but u can change it to NORM as per ur preference.

3. Front : 50%, Center : 70%, Sub : 60%, Surround : 60%.. try with these levels in the AVR..

Rest is all what you like at diff settings..

You can approach me anytime.. We can share our experience..

Enjoy your HT.. :)

Cheers..!!!

Hey Vikram,

Thanks for your inputs. Just saw your posting. Will make this modification with the phase control at 50%. Actually I had set it to zero.

@ Jatin, I incorporated all the suggestions and the result is outstanding. Just like when I had auditioned the speakers at the showroom.

Only one change - since i do not wish to use the AVR system always while watching the TV, left the set top box connection intact. i.e. set top box connection to TV via HDMI and to the AV receiver via optical cable. It shows digital sound on the AV receiver screen. The sound is gr8 whenever I need the punch (esp. while watching Movies Now HD) Its sad, Airtel is yet to launch a few more HD channels... Its gona be a long wait it seems.

Thanks once again guys for your valuable insights.

Regards

Sudeep:)

Last edited:

Denon Avr's have standby pass through.

From Batpig site

To get the HDMI standby passthrough feature to work, use the following procedure:

Set HDMI Control to ON in the Denon
Designate the "Standby Source" for passing through (if available)
Make sure the HDMI Audio setting is set to AMP (not TV!) as you only want audio passing through to the TV when the unit is powered down

BATPIG'S DENON-TO-ENGLISH DICTIONARY

Check if 1311 has this feature

Thanks Jatin. Will try the same. All reviews on 1311 states that it has 3D Passthorugh and since the connection is through HDMI port must mean it has HDMI passthorugh.

I checked out Batpig, it says the AVR will consume extra power with an HDMI passthorugh set up. Dont know if that would be ok to keep the system always running in a "semi-on state".... Pls suggest.

Regards

Sudeep

Should be OK , But if you are hesitant do continue with separate cable to TV. No harm in that. Just a option with AVR having Standby pass through.

Hi Friends,

I am back again. Now with a different query - How do I connect my new iPhone4 to my AV system? I would like to listen to the music as well as watch HD video.. What would be the ideal connection method to achieve best output??

Would really appreciate valuable suggestions .

Thanks

Regards

Sudeep

Hi Friends,

I am back again. Now with a different query - How do I connect my new iPhone4 to my AV system? I would like to listen to the music as well as watch HD video.. What would be the ideal connection method to achieve best output??

Would really appreciate valuable suggestions .

Thanks

Regards

Sudeep

If iPhone as 3.5mm out socket then you can connect the same to Denon front panel 3.5mm input and listen to iphone content. I checked iPhone 3g specs and that seem to have a 3.5 mm audio socket. What you will need is a Male-Male 3.5 mm jack.

Sudeep,

So is the HDMI pass thru happening in 1311 at standby? I guess 3D pass through is different from this. 3D pass through is some thing like 'the AVR do not do any processing on 3D but just passes it through for TV to do the processing. That means even the sound is not recognized in AVR for 3D content'. Am I right here? Anyways my first and formost important question is about 1311's capability to do HDMI pass thru in standby mode.

Thanks!
Anish

Hi,

I did not try it because I do not wish to run the AV receiver to remain in a semi-standby mode when it is not in use.

I am using optical cable from STB to use the audio and it suits me fine. The output is fairly nice.

Thanks

Regards

Sudeep

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back