Need suggestions/advice to choose good sub-woofer

shekarwrites

Hi Guys,

I am looking to upgrade my subwoofer.. I dont have a dedicated room for listening in my home.. my setup is used in the living room of about 320 sq.ft. My current setup is,

Denon x3500H 7.2 AVR
Yamaha RN803 Stereo Amp
IndiqAudio Platinum Achals
Yamaha NS300 Sub-woofer

The new sub-woofer shall be used for movies hooked to Denon AVR and to Yamaha stereo amp for 2.1 music listening. The current sub-woofer is doing a nice job, but showing signs of aging. Hence I;m in market for a new sub-woofer. Looking for some good woofer that serves well for movies & listening to music. Need advice to select a good one with tight bass & room shaking one for movies ;). Also should blend well with my 2.0 speakers. Budget is around 65K INR...

Thanks,
Somashekar

Hi Guys,

I am looking to upgrade my subwoofer.. I dont have a dedicated room for listening in my home.. my setup is used in the living room of about 320 sq.ft. My current setup is,

Denon x3500H 7.2 AVR
Yamaha RN803 Stereo Amp
Yamaha NS300 Sub-woofer

The new sub-woofer shall be used for movies hooked to Denon AVR and to Yamaha stereo amp for 2.1 music listening. The current sub-woofer is doing a nice job, but showing signs of aging. Hence I;m in market for a new sub-woofer. Looking for some good woofer that serves well for movies & listening to music. Need advice to select a good one with tight bass & room shaking one for movies ;). Also should blend well with my 2.0 speakers. Budget is around 65K INR...

Thanks,
Somashekar
For your budget the rythmik L12 is available and will be good for both movies and music. But not sure if the 300 watts be enough for your room size. But if you liked the Yamaha sub then the L12 will be a great upgrade

Hi Guys,

Denon x3500H 7.2 AVR
Yamaha RN803 Stereo Amp
Yamaha NS300 Sub-woofer

Thanks,
Somashekar
Hi Soma sir,
If the room is 320 sq ft, and the avr is the 3500, you could actually get a new sub at your budget and run them both together for good pressurisation.
Inside or a little (5k) outside your budget, you could look at base model rythmiks, and Rels in both hy line or t line (which have a high level out for music.

My suggestion. Keep this Yamaha sub, get one of the above and play around. Nirvana won't be far away.
All the best

The current sub-woofer is doing a nice job, but showing signs of aging.
Is that a real thing? Subwoofers go bad as they age?
I just bought Rythmik L12. Not unpacked yet. How long can I use it before it's sound starts deteriorating?

REL HT1205 is probably the best candidate to suit your requirement, but you have to increase your budget by another 50%. I would probably pick QB12 as a decent compromise considering your budget's price/performance ratio.

REL HT1205 is probably the best candidate to suit your requirement, but you have to increase your budget by another 50%. I would probably pick QB12 as a decent compromise considering your budget's price/performance ratio.
The room size is 320 sqft..
Or at least above 2500 cuft..
Qb12 is way too under powered.. and ht1205 is underpowered for cinema use.

Well his budget is 65k so what else we can suggest. Even the HT1205 is above his budget. I cannot suggest a rythmik 15 inch which will be perfect for his room.

You have to also keep in mind $$$. Rel Preditor (the sought-after one) these days costs in the neighborhood of 2L. :(

Edit:-
I wouldn't say HT1205 is underpowered for Cinema; it produces tight and accurate bass and won't have the Umph effect like SVS. It's Rel's Sound Signature. On any given day, a 15" sub will always be better than a 12" (not mandatory, though) if one can shell out $$$.

Last edited:
You can try auditioning the Mission MS 450 which is a 400 watts RMS powered sub with a 15 inch driver available with Hifimart at around Rs. 50,000/- at a discounted price well within your budget.
If I am not mistaken it has a front port.

Last edited:
You have to also keep in mind $$$. Rel Preditor (the sought-after one) these days costs in the neighborhood of 2L. :(

Edit:-
I wouldn't say HT1205 is underpowered for Cinema; it produces tight and accurate bass and won't have the Umph effect like SVS. It's Rel's Sound Signature. On any given day, a 15" sub will always be better than a 12" (not mandatory, though) if one can shell out $$$.
My point is for that room size a 12" sealed sub won't do the job...
It's underpowered for that room size.

Well his budget is 65k so what else we can suggest. Even the HT1205 is above his budget. I cannot suggest a rythmik 15 inch which will be perfect for his room.
In that budget, for that room a small sealed sub is a no..
A ported subwoofer is the best option.
Mission 450 looks good..
Or else a 12" ported sub.

In that budget, for that room a small sealed sub is a no..
A ported subwoofer is the best option.
Mission 450 looks good..
Or else a 12" ported sub.
Considering he likes the Yamaha sub for both movies and music I thought why not the L12. Mission 450 looks good but haven’t auditioned it so can’t comment. I have heard the L12 in a big room and it was decent. He said he wanted for music as well and the budget ported subs are bad for music. Personally I won’t suggest the L12 but given his requirement, budget and already linking the Yamaha sub he may be happy with the L12

You ought to up that budget by atleast 40% and think of going dual sub for that room size.
65k was a good budget for a sub around 8 years ago. A SVS PB13 Ultra used to retail for 90 to 100k at the time. I think it almost 2x or 3x now!
You can find a sub woofer for the budget you have. It won't keep you happy for long though or you'll be driving it hard to hear it. When you do this, you will start to loose balance and you'll be back to square one. If this purchase it expected to last for a while, I'd throw in some more money and get something nice. Its not often you replace a loudspeaker.

Hi Guys,

Denon x3500H 7.2 AVR
Yamaha RN803 Stereo Amp
Yamaha NS300 Sub-woofer

Thanks,
Somashekar

You should look at BIC America H100 ii . Its a rear ported sub and works well for both music and movies. I used the same for 3 years before I traded up to BIC PL 200 and after using that for 4 /5 years now using a SVS SB1000 and the only reason is because of the compact size. If I had a little more space, would not mind rolling back to the H100ii.

My listening area is 200-250 sq ft and the BIC America H100ii worked really well, The sub volume was somewhere on 45%. The person I sold it to still uses the same sub, no repairs or issues till date, Its 7 years + old and works fine. He uses the sub in a 500+ sq ft hall. We have dedicated threads for big brands including BIC America where you can read about first hand review information.

15inch subwoofer is the way to go. Do not go less than that later regret.

I would suggest to all to buy 15" subwoofer as one time buy and have peace of mind and also to leave upgrade fever later.

15inch subwoofer is the way to go. Do not go less than that later regret.

I would suggest to all to buy 15" subwoofer as one time buy and have peace of mind and also to leave upgrade fever later.
What are the options available other than mission 15" sub under 1 lakh ?

What are the options available other than mission 15" sub under 1 lakh ?
I don't think so any other is available . But once you hear the 15" with BS or FS, cannot go back to 8 or 10 or 12" subwoofer with the clear lows it is producing without much grunt.

Since you are in HT installation you could heard variety of SW.

Friends, sorry for hijacking this thread for my ask. Don't want to run one more thread for my ask. Just couple of questions. I have a 10 x 10 x 9.5 ft (almost CUBE) room where I kept a 2.0 BS (Elac b6.2). I am planning to add a Sub. Since the room size is almost cube, I don't think I can add any sub which can go deeper. Also, for the existing speaker itself, if I keep volume at "-10 db" on my Denon X1600H AVR, I could see my wooden cupboard doors rattling esp. when a movie scene have heavy bass. I am little skeptical to buy a large sub (by the matter even a smaller sub) considering room size.
1st Q: is it o.k. to add a sub to this room dimension? or just limit to this 2.0 alone?
2nd Q: If I can add a sub, what size would be ideal for this room size and dimension?
3rd Q: Any good VFM sub you recommend?

Attachments

• IMG_20220214_115416171.png
    IMG_20220214_115416171.png
    490 KB · Views: 38
I don't think so any other is available . But once you hear the 15" with BS or FS, cannot go back to 8 or 10 or 12" subwoofer with the clear lows it is producing without much grunt.

Since you are in HT installation you could heard variety of SW.
Yeah .. no doubt about that.. bigger the better even for a small room.
For example I'm currently using the 18" sealed subwoofer ( prototype) which we built a couple of years back.
And yeah.. there's no going back .. i will be upgrading to a 21" prototype soon ;)

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back