Need suggestions/advice to choose good sub-woofer

Well many Movies have musical soundtracks too & thats when a musical sub comes in play, yes you do loose the low end grunt & vibrating tables/windows etc effects. I was using my Rel subs for music & movies but now they are only used for movies as i got floor standers which are adequate in bass response for me (not a bass junky) My point is even Musical Subs have their benefits for movies..
Well said.All action sequences will have BGM. A good sub that is accurate and detailed is a must for movies.Well there are people listening to poor quality subs and enjoying movies as well but that’s a different topic. Mass market is all about boom boom and that’s is why these Sony HTIB and sound bars are liked by such market. Talking in an enthusiast context or some one like me who have experienced so many set ups and subwoofers i can confidently say any subwoofer with spl alone is not enough to get the best from movies. If your reference and experience is with average subs yeah any sub will do.We shouldn’t conclude with limited experience.Only when your reference is correct you will get an idea of how a scene or music should sound. Past 3 years alone I would have got 10 or more subwoofers from multiple brands all with high spl for my room size. So for people who are reading this thread looking to get subwoofers for movies please don’t get misguided by wrong claims. A sub with good details and texture will give a better movie experience then just any sub with spl alone

Last edited:
This is completely false. Movies demand simple subwoofers with high peak output and extension, texture and quality do not matter. Music demands more continuous output and a lot more sound quality from the subs, it also demands more high frequency extension than a movie subwoofer where if the movie sub is not integrating well with the mains then it doesn't really matter as long as it does boom boom, no one will notice and no one will care.

Short story, any sub will do for movies as long as it gets loud enough and deep enough for your preference, for music it requires finesse.
Ignore.
Ignored.

May be for you any sub will do for movies and please feel free to speak for yourself but not for the entire HT community with misleading facts as always. I have used multiple subs for movies for my small room which had way more spl and extension then required but I kept changing subs cause they lacked the texture and sound quality. What you said is totally false. No not any sub will do for movies as they also require speed, texture and quality in bass. Why do people keep upgrading subs in the forum? Subs like xtz, pb2000 etc which are highly capable interms of spl and extension? It is because for texture and quality in bass. I moved from dual xtz each rated at 500 watts rms and 700 watts peak to a 300 watts subwoofer. Short story? Well definitely a funny story for me indeed
Yeah.. Real cinema fans understand all these things.. not someone who thinks cinema is boom boom..

Hi Guys,

I am looking to upgrade my subwoofer.. I dont have a dedicated room for listening in my home.. my setup is used in the living room of about 320 sq.ft. My current setup is,

Denon x3500H 7.2 AVR
Yamaha RN803 Stereo Amp
IndiqAudio Platinum Achals
Yamaha NS300 Sub-woofer

The new sub-woofer shall be used for movies hooked to Denon AVR and to Yamaha stereo amp for 2.1 music listening. The current sub-woofer is doing a nice job, but showing signs of aging. Hence I;m in market for a new sub-woofer. Looking for some good woofer that serves well for movies & listening to music. Need advice to select a good one with tight bass & room shaking one for movies ;). Also should blend well with my 2.0 speakers. Budget is around 65K INR...

Thanks,
Somashekar
I just picked up a KEF Kube 10b at Pro-Fx Bengaluru yesterday. Using it just for music with my Blusound powernode 2i and Quad S2 speakers. Initial impressions are that music sounds much richer/warmer.

Edit - Although it is in your price range, just noticed that your requirement was for room-shaking movie watching. This is a sealed, 300W sub so may not meet your requirements.

Hi Guys,

I am looking to upgrade my subwoofer.. I dont have a dedicated room for listening in my home.. my setup is used in the living room of about 320 sq.ft. My current setup is,

Denon x3500H 7.2 AVR
Yamaha RN803 Stereo Amp
IndiqAudio Platinum Achals
Yamaha NS300 Sub-woofer

The new sub-woofer shall be used for movies hooked to Denon AVR and to Yamaha stereo amp for 2.1 music listening. The current sub-woofer is doing a nice job, but showing signs of aging. Hence I;m in market for a new sub-woofer. Looking for some good woofer that serves well for movies & listening to music. Need advice to select a good one with tight bass & room shaking one for movies ;). Also should blend well with my 2.0 speakers. Budget is around 65K INR...

Thanks,
Somashekar

Have you narrowed down on suggestions provided based on your budget and performance expectations?

Yes… have extended budget to 1L… exploring Rythmik SW’s in a group buy… Had a chance to demo F12, pretty impressed with its performance
Good choice. Go for the fvx12. Rythmik subs are all rounder subs. Their ported and sealed subs will perform good for both movies and music. As per last update there won’t be any group buys supported by rythmik. Main reason I believe to encourage every one to buy from local dealers. So if two or more Blore members want to buy rythmik subs they can negotiate with the same dealer in blor and similarly for other locations

I just picked up a KEF Kube 10b at Pro-Fx Bengaluru yesterday. Using it just for music with my Blusound powernode 2i and Quad S2 speakers. Initial impressions are that music sounds much richer/warmer.

Edit - Although it is in your price range, just noticed that your requirement was for room-shaking movie watching. This is a sealed, 300W sub so may not meet your requirements.
I have a KEF Kube 12b that is also 300W RMS. Find the bass tight and fast. Mine is only music duty with a 8W pc SE valve amp and Klipsch HIIIs. Room is about 45 sq.m open to the lobby and a kitchen that add another 10-12 sq.m. No qualms since I set it up to blend with the speakers and done with ears only.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back