need suggestions for 55 inch TV urgently -Toshiba U7980 ??

aadi007

Guys,

Seems like my 4.5 year old Samsung LED TV has given up (panel issue) . It is a 48 inch LED FHD TV with 120 Hz panel.
My usage is 99% movies and TV shows on various OTT channels. I have a 5.1 setup as well but I am expecting all TVs nowadays come with HDMI ARC etc.
Also, my TV runs for really long hours, as someone in the family keeps watching something.
So, longevity and warranty is a major requirement along with picture quality.
Also, in most cases, my room is dimly lit or dark.

AFter doing some research on this forum and the internet, I have shortlisted a few with different budget options.
Given my requirement, I think VA LED panel is good for me.
Also, I have decided 55 inch as my preferred size.

Option 1 -> HiSense/Sanyo/TCL, Cost around 40K.
Option 2 -> Toshiba U7980, cost 46K
Option 3 -> TCL QLED, cost 56K
Option 4 - > Samsung Frame, cost 73K
Option 5 -> Sony X9000H, cost 95K.

I am more inclined towards Toshiba U7980 as it has FALD which is not available in other TVs in this range. Even the Samsung Frame does not come with local dimming. Also, the Vidaa OS is not a concern for me, I can anyways use the FireTV stick, if needed. Also, it is the only TV providing 3 year standard warranty. My only concern is the 60 Hz refresh rate. Will that be a concern coming from a 120 Hz panel? I don't do gaming at all.

Please suggest urgently as I would like to make a decision in a day or two. All family members are going crazy without a TV as there is nothing else to do nowadays. :)

Depends on how much you can stretch the budget:

Prefer to spend <50k: U7980 no question. I own the set and after 2.5 months I've been very happy with it. You'll need a firestick 4k to go with it though as the inbuilt OS sucks.

Restricted to <75k: Get the Frame. It's a better overall TV than the U79. Has a better OS and supports 120Hz. Go for the 55" though, as the 50" is noticeably downgraded. PQ should be comparable to U79 acc. to rtings but it's a much better TV for misc use like console gaming.

Around 1 lakh: I heard FMs able to secure LG BX for 1 lakh. If you can stretch to 1.1-1.2 lakh, the CX is also an excellent option. The X9000H is a bad value at the current price, and I wouldn't pay anything more than 80k for it.

Depends on how much you can stretch the budget:

Prefer to spend <50k: U7980 no question. I own the set and after 2.5 months I've been very happy with it. You'll need a firestick 4k to go with it though as the inbuilt OS sucks.

Restricted to <75k: Get the Frame. It's a better overall TV than the U79. Has a better OS and supports 120Hz. Go for the 55" though, as the 50" is noticeably downgraded. PQ should be comparable to U79 acc. to rtings but it's a much better TV for misc use like console gaming.

Around 1 lakh: I heard FMs able to secure LG BX for 1 lakh. If you can stretch to 1.1-1.2 lakh, the CX is also an excellent option. The X9000H is a bad value at the current price, and I wouldn't pay anything more than 80k for it.
Thanks a lot for the prompt reply. I don't mind stretching to 1 Lakh but not more.
The frame is available at a decent discount at Flipkart and can be purchased at 73K, which is till 27K more than the U7980.
If the picture quality is similar, where exactly do you think I would see the difference?
Toshiba is offering 3 year warranty, which is a big plus. Samsung is offering 1 year warranty plus 1 year additional warranty on the panel.
As I said, I am not into gaming. I already have a 4K firestick as well. We are very much used to the firestick interface as well. So, we would probably keep on using the same in the new TV as well.

PS - Using my Diners black card, the effective price will be around 69K, still 23K higher than the Toshiba.
TCL QLED after all discounts would be around 47K, which is same as Toshiba

Last edited:
Hi friends & audiophile people's # any one own TCL c715 qled TV ??? # I need feedback TCL c715 55 inches good option to buy??

Hi friends & audiophile people's # any one own TCL c715 qled TV ??? # I need feedback TCL c715 55 inches good option to buy??
I remember someone has bought this tv c715 and commented his views on PQ and overall experience somewhere in this forum. You can search it in here and then probably dm the person

Thanks a lot for the prompt reply. I don't mind stretching to 1 Lakh but not more.
The frame is available at a decent discount at Flipkart and can be purchased at 73K, which is till 27K more than the U7980.
If the picture quality is similar, where exactly do you think I would see the difference?
Toshiba is offering 3 year warranty, which is a big plus. Samsung is offering 1 year warranty plus 1 year additional warranty on the panel.
As I said, I am not into gaming. I already have a 4K firestick as well. We are very much used to the firestick interface as well. So, we would probably keep on using the same in the new TV as well.

PS - Using my Diners black card, the effective price will be around 69K, still 23K higher than the Toshiba.
TCL QLED after all discounts would be around 47K, which is same as Toshiba
For your use case (non-gaming, firestick) it doesn't make sense to go for the Frame. The main advantages of the frame are the design and 120Hz. If you don't care for those U79 is a very good option for cheap.

IMO, it's the best budget TV for the entire family. The most noticeable parts of a TV your family members notice is the brightness, contrast and colour gamut and this TV is very decent in all of those. You'll need to do some tuning to get the colour right to your preferences but it's a one time effort.

If I had to get a TV for myself for mostly movies and streaming, I'd personally stretch to1.1 lakhs for the LG CX. But I got this as a secondary TV for my parents. It's a lot more abuse(burn-in) proof for my parents.

BTW, I got it for 38.5k with my diners black card back then, with 4 year warranty.

Last edited:
My Question is where are you getting the U7980 from. Its being showing out of stocks of months now. Tried reliance, flipkart and amazon.

Its available on Reliance digital, both online and offline. If it was available on Flipkart, I would have got it much cheaper, <40k.

One final question before I pull the plug .. will the 60hz refresh rate be an issue for my usage? Everything else looks good for this TV.

Since you used to a high refresh rate display you will notice it in gaming and in some movies 24hz if your previous Tele had excellent motion handling.

Its available on Reliance digital, both online and offline. If it was available on Flipkart, I would have got it much cheaper, <40k.
Yeah, availability seems to vary by region. In Mumbai also it's available on RD but not on flipkart and Amazon. BTW flipkart would have only given you a 4.7k discount even on DCB card as rewards are only 3x(10%). Amazon would have netted you <40k though as rewards are at 5x(16.67%) there.

One final question before I pull the plug .. will the 60hz refresh rate be an issue for my usage? Everything else looks good for this TV.
Not really. The only place >60Hz refresh rate matters is for PC monitor usage or PC/console gaming. Since you are not going to do either, it's a safe bet. Most movies you'll watch will be 24/30 fps with some YouTube content at 60 fps.

That being said, native 120Hz panels will have an advantage in motion handling over this one. But you don't get 120Hz at this price, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. For family use, it won't be a concern. The motion handling is done by firestick 4k in my case(as it always sends a 4k 60Hz signal) and I never noticed any issues with it.

I purchased an LG and in this festival offer, 2 years standard plus 3 year extra warranty came from company for around 3500. I read they have a good service network too. I suggest you see the performance live than to believe on hearsay. TCL is manufactured in same factory as HiSense, Kodak etc and the TVs sold here under this brand are nowhere near sold in US, so beware.

Guys,

Seems like my 4.5 year old Samsung LED TV has given up (panel issue) . It is a 48 inch LED FHD TV with 120 Hz panel.
My usage is 99% movies and TV shows on various OTT channels. I have a 5.1 setup as well but I am expecting all TVs nowadays come with HDMI ARC etc.
Also, my TV runs for really long hours, as someone in the family keeps watching something.
So, longevity and warranty is a major requirement along with picture quality.
Also, in most cases, my room is dimly lit or dark.

AFter doing some research on this forum and the internet, I have shortlisted a few with different budget options.
Given my requirement, I think VA LED panel is good for me.
Also, I have decided 55 inch as my preferred size.

Option 1 -> HiSense/Sanyo/TCL, Cost around 40K.
Option 2 -> Toshiba U7980, cost 46K
Option 3 -> TCL QLED, cost 56K
Option 4 - > Samsung Frame, cost 73K
Option 5 -> Sony X9000H, cost 95K.

I am more inclined towards Toshiba U7980 as it has FALD which is not available in other TVs in this range. Even the Samsung Frame does not come with local dimming. Also, the Vidaa OS is not a concern for me, I can anyways use the FireTV stick, if needed. Also, it is the only TV providing 3 year standard warranty. My only concern is the 60 Hz refresh rate. Will that be a concern coming from a 120 Hz panel? I don't do gaming at all.

Please suggest urgently as I would like to make a decision in a day or two. All family members are going crazy without a TV as there is nothing else to do nowadays. :)
Things u notice while upgrading is screen size(prefer 65 inch), picture quality (brightness, contract, dark scenes performance etc). Since your room is dimly lit or dark, u prefer FALD.

OLED is good but since u watch for more time, so burn in might occur after 3 to 4 years of intensive usage because of organic nature of OLED TV's.

So u just buy u7980 with 3 years warranty and u can upgrade later. Samsung display is working on QNED TV's for 2023, those don't suffer burn-in and low brightness issues. So u can upgrade in 2025 after 1st gen products are released.

Options are 55U79, 65U79 and 55CX. Take frame out of the equation. Can get a 65U79 at the price.

Another upcoming TV would fit into this list. Toshiba U8080, (as we can guess) its a DESI version of Hisense H9G. Toshiba showing the "coming soon" tag for a long time. We could expect early 2021 for its MUH DIKHAI :p:p:p
If you want to wait for the best chosen TV for your space, you should wait another 2 months. H9G is far far superior on features and performance, according to US and UK reviewers. Expected price to be 90-95k for 65". But it will easily out perform any other TV available on Indian market within 1 lakh budget.
In fact I am also curious for this TV, as I am planning for an up-gradation.

Which tv did you have previously which had 120hz 4 years back ? The current upper end market TVs like lg CX markets 120hz as something new. Did you mean the 120 hz motion processing ?

For your use case (non-gaming, firestick) it doesn't make sense to go for the Frame. The main advantages of the frame are the design and 120Hz. If you don't care for those U79 is a very good option for cheap.

IMO, it's the best budget TV for the entire family. The most noticeable parts of a TV your family members notice is the brightness, contrast and colour gamut and this TV is very decent in all of those. You'll need to do some tuning to get the colour right to your preferences but it's a one time effort.

If I had to get a TV for myself for mostly movies and streaming, I'd personally stretch to1.1 lakhs for the LG CX. But I got this as a secondary TV for my parents. It's a lot more abuse(burn-in) proof for my parents.

BTW, I got it for 38.5k with my diners black card back then, with 4 year warranty.
CX at 1.1?! Wow! The lowest price I am seeing for OLED is B9 for 1L and C9 for 1.1L

CX at 1.1?! Wow! The lowest price I am seeing for OLED is B9 for 1L and C9 for 1.1L
Honestly, the C9 is a better TV than the CX. The only thing you're missing on the C9 is 120Hz BFI. However, the C9 is brighter and has 48 Gbps HDMI 2.1 v/s 40 Gbps on the CX. Also, the C9 supports DTS audio while the CX doesn't.

Also, the CX is cheaper than the C9, as the C9 was cheaper than the C8 and so on... Every year, the OLEDs will get cheaper and next year we should see the C1 go below 1 lakh for 55" during Diwali. You getting C9 for 1.1 lakhs is more surprising than the CX at 1.1. I'd take the C9 at 1.1 lakhs over CX as I would like to have DTS on my TV.

I checked the prices on reliance digital. it is 48500/-. Plus, if you add the cost of 4K fireTV stick (currently I have a normal firetv stick), it is going to almost 55K. Before I put my money on this, anything else I should consider?
The TCL QLED C715 is available at less than 50K from flipkart (after applying credit card discounts), and the reviews whatever I have seen seem to be very good, Any proper reviews of the TCL QLED C715 available on rtings or anywhere else?
I am little confused at this point, as Toshiba price in my mind was always around 40-45K (not sure why, may be I was thinking about amazon/flipkart prices after discount and reliance digital has absolutely Zero discount).

I checked the prices on reliance digital. it is 48500/-. Plus, if you add the cost of 4K fireTV stick (currently I have a normal firetv stick), it is going to almost 55K. Before I put my money on this, anything else I should consider?
The TCL QLED C715 is available at less than 50K from flipkart (after applying credit card discounts), and the reviews whatever I have seen seem to be very good, Any proper reviews of the TCL QLED C715 available on rtings or anywhere else?
I am little confused at this point, as Toshiba price in my mind was always around 40-45K (not sure why, may be I was thinking about amazon/flipkart prices after discount and reliance digital has absolutely Zero discount).

Amazon/flipkart did not have the 3 year warranty. So it is 48.5k with 3 year warranty. I did not see it deviate for even 1 rs. And even with that pricing, it was mostly sold out during the festive period.

The C715 IMO is ok. Not as good as U79. It is a DLED QLED as opposed to C815 which is edge lit. It has no dimming zones and only 1/2 brightness compared to the U79. That is a compromise at both the ends of contrast. It is also the lowest bright QLED. Lot of bright shades cannot be produced which will limit any colour advantages that QLED will provide against U79.

Don't buy the firestick 4k at ₹6k. Any of Amazon's first party product ranges (echo, kindle, fire) are massively overpriced without the sales. In any Amazon sale, it will be selling for 3.5-4k. You can use the internal TV apps for 1 month till the Republic day sale (if there is no Christmas or New year's sale before that) and get the firestick at almost half the price. The internal apps have prime, Netflix and YouTube which all work fine.

I got the firestick 4k for ₹3.2k this Diwali on sale. On top of it the diners black discount made it effectively ₹2.7k.

There's no TCL TV worth buying in India. And the only TVs below 1 lakh which I would consider are the U79 and Frame, unless you want a super budget secondary TV for cable content (but in that case you can buy any 1080p TV for 15k or use your old set).

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back