need suggestions for 55 inch TV urgently -Toshiba U7980 ??

ok, thanks guys. This helps to clear the doubt.
I can use the firestick I have currently for channels like Hotstar. ALso, I don't have the 4K plan from netflix.
Yes, Firetv stick can be bought later.

As I was about to place the order for Toshiba U7980, a news popped up in my Google news feed saying that MI will be launching the QLED TVs next week which is supposed to be much better high higher brightness, contrast, HDMI 2.1 support etc. I expect the pricing to be around 50K and will probably cost less than the U7980 after applying card discounts. Does it make sense to wait? Do we have any concrete information about the specs?

As I was about to place the order for Toshiba U7980, a news popped up in my Google news feed saying that MI will be launching the QLED TVs next week which is supposed to be much better high higher brightness, contrast, HDMI 2.1 support etc. I expect the pricing to be around 50K and will probably cost less than the U7980 after applying card discounts. Does it make sense to wait? Do we have any concrete information about the specs?
Mi TV 5 and 5 pro are edge-lit panels. They do not have HDMI 2.1 features and the panel is 60Hz anyway. QLED means absolutely nothing and has always been a marketing gimmick. All it allows is for higher colour gamut for a cheaper price than Phosphor based materials.

Xiaomi's aim for the Indian market is to sell their lower-end products with good marketing and features like a fast processor and more RAM. The good panels are only sold in China. Xiaomi, OnePlus and TCL are selling junk panels in India and won't change that for the foreseeable future as they still manage good sales and shit Indian TV reviewers can't tell the difference anyway.

BTW, here is the release and specs for Mi TV 5 and 5 pro

Ok, before you dismiss the MI QLED TV, here is what XIaomi says

Eshwar Nilakantan, Category Lead, Mi TV team, has confirmed that the Mi QLED TVs sold in the country will be made in India only. Eshwar, in the exclusive interview with Financial Express also said -
"We could have launched a QLED TV nine months ago. Taking something that is available in China and launching here is something that we do not want to do because we want to spend that extra bit of time and energy to ensure we are able to do complete justice to the technology, so it works to its full potential"

Link - https://www.mysmartprice.com/gear/mi-qled-tv-4k-launch-december-16-specs-features-expected-price/

So, it might not be the MITV5 pro. Shouldn't we hold our horses?

Eshwar Nilakantan, Category Lead, Mi TV team, has confirmed that the Mi QLED TVs sold in the country will be made in India only. Eshwar, in the exclusive interview with Financial Express also said -
"We could have launched a QLED TV nine months ago. Taking something that is available in China and launching here is something that we do not want to do because we want to spend that extra bit of time and energy to ensure we are able to do complete justice to the technology, so it works to its full potential"

Link - https://www.mysmartprice.com/gear/mi-qled-tv-4k-launch-december-16-specs-features-expected-price/

.What they mean by not launching the same thing is that they will tune the software and add Hotstar and other regional streaming stuff to Patchwall. They absolutely do not mean hardware changes. There's no way they are launching exclusive hardware in India. That has never happened and will never happen for a Chinese company.

Anyway, there's no harm in waiting for December 16th if you can. But don't expect anything. There are two good Xiaomi TVs that exist, the Mi master 82" and the mi master 82" extreme. Every other TV from their portfolio is pure garbage. And I can bet my bottom rupee that Xiaomi is not launching those two on the 16th.

Last edited:

Xiaomi india won't launch a new premium product first in india. Yes it has Dolby vision, hdr 10+, but all budget TV's also r getting that certificate without even crossing 500 nits. When compared to u7980, it doesn't have FALD and 700 nits brightness. For marketing purposes they just say high brightness and great black levels without mentioning actual figures because they didn't even specify that in china. The delayed launch is just because there is no competition, but now toshiba/hisense r trying to change that, so now they woke, but they don't have a product to compete them, so they just buy reviewers and advertised that They just make few software changes

ok, I see there are strong opinions against MI TV and justifiably so...
I am no expert like you all, I was just curious :)

Guys,

Seems like my 4.5 year old Samsung LED TV has given up (panel issue) . It is a 48 inch LED FHD TV with 120 Hz panel.
My usage is 99% movies and TV shows on various OTT channels. I have a 5.1 setup as well but I am expecting all TVs nowadays come with HDMI ARC etc.
Also, my TV runs for really long hours, as someone in the family keeps watching something.
So, longevity and warranty is a major requirement along with picture quality.
Also, in most cases, my room is dimly lit or dark.

AFter doing some research on this forum and the internet, I have shortlisted a few with different budget options.
Given my requirement, I think VA LED panel is good for me.
Also, I have decided 55 inch as my preferred size.

Option 1 -> HiSense/Sanyo/TCL, Cost around 40K.
Option 2 -> Toshiba U7980, cost 46K
Option 3 -> TCL QLED, cost 56K
Option 4 - > Samsung Frame, cost 73K
Option 5 -> Sony X9000H, cost 95K.

I am more inclined towards Toshiba U7980 as it has FALD which is not available in other TVs in this range. Even the Samsung Frame does not come with local dimming. Also, the Vidaa OS is not a concern for me, I can anyways use the FireTV stick, if needed. Also, it is the only TV providing 3 year standard warranty. My only concern is the 60 Hz refresh rate. Will that be a concern coming from a 120 Hz panel? I don't do gaming at all.

Please suggest urgently as I would like to make a decision in a day or two. All family members are going crazy without a TV as there is nothing else to do nowadays. :)
My vote to Option 4 - > Samsung Frame, cost 73K..
One of the best future TV which can be there for more than 10yrs now. no issues with back panel connectivity all are hidden. 120Hz ratio which is amaze for any game lovers. Sound amp inbuild which auto adjust & Samsung is known for its Panels for longtime now if u pay 10K more too not to worry on long run rather changing TVs which panels get blurred after few years..
Final call is urs ..

Mi says on it's website HDMI 2.1, eARC, Dolby Vision, HDR 10+. Dolby Audio, DTS-HD, ALLM, AV1 etc.
It's all about what you advertise. When they advertise good TVs they advertise the panel brightness, zone count, contrast ratio etc.. Look at Mi master series for example. On the other hand, when you know you have a shit TV, all of these exact specs get hidden and get replaced by software and codec support, which have nothing to do with the picture quality. Or you get nonsense like QLED, how thin it is and so on...

Just by looking at the marketing of a TV, you can easily guess which kind of a TV it is. And this is not restricted to Xiaomi.

Ordered TOshiba U7980 from reliancedigital website.
Yet to receive the confirmation email. and reliance wants to compete with flipkart & amazon. LOL
First time, bought such a costly item without any deal or offer, feeling dissastisfied :(

Anyways, I hope the TV will be worth it.

Its been more than a month now still its shows out of stock at my pincode on reliance, flipkart and amazon

Its been more than a month now still its shows out of stock at my pincode on reliance, flipkart and amazon
Interesting there are 2 pincodes used in my area (old and new) and only one is deliverable as per reliance digital. LOL ;)

However, all the physical stores near my location also have it in stock.

Ordered TOshiba U7980 from reliancedigital website.
Yet to receive the confirmation email. and reliance wants to compete with flipkart & amazon. LOL
First time, bought such a costly item without any deal or offer, feeling dissastisfied :(

Anyways, I hope the TV will be worth it.
Congratulations

As expected, same old Xiaomi!

Launched 55 inch Quantum dot in Indonesia yesterday. They r marketing 350 nits as Quantum dot . Atleast they mentioned brightness this time.

Attachments

• EouA-YTU8AMnO-Y.jpeg
    EouA-YTU8AMnO-Y.jpeg
    570.2 KB · Views: 21
  • EouDHuWVoAMHTY5.jpeg
    EouDHuWVoAMHTY5.jpeg
    807 KB · Views: 20
  • EouDKB_VoAARzHr.jpeg
    EouDKB_VoAARzHr.jpeg
    1,014.1 KB · Views: 21
  • EouDK3_VEAEeUpx~2.jpeg
    EouDK3_VEAEeUpx~2.jpeg
    220.6 KB · Views: 20
  • EouBU95UwAAbVmz~2.jpeg
    EouBU95UwAAbVmz~2.jpeg
    281.7 KB · Views: 23
My vote to Option 4 - > Samsung Frame, cost 73K..
One of the best future TV which can be there for more than 10yrs now. no issues with back panel connectivity all are hidden. 120Hz ratio which is amaze for any game lovers. Sound amp inbuild which auto adjust & Samsung is known for its Panels for longtime now if u pay 10K more too not to worry on long run rather changing TVs which panels get blurred after few years..
Final call is urs ..
120 Hz and VRR doesn't work properly om frame as per rtings review. There is frequently flickering with those features enabled.

Also looking for Toshiba , but no stock. Is Frame 55 at 73k worth it in comparison. Or better to wait for restock of u79 or better model?

Also looking for Toshiba , but no stock. Is Frame 55 at 73k worth it in comparison. Or better to wait for restock of u79 or better model?
If you're considering gaming on your TV or care about home decor (or your wife does ;)) the frame is an amazing TV at 73k. You can't go wrong with it. The picture quality is also pretty good for the price.

2021 TVs will start coming in after 5-6 months only and they won't be on discount till October-November 2021, and with import restrictions, I'm not sure if the U79 will be restocked soon or the U80 come to India.

If you are stretching till 75k, LG BX comes too close. Much better than the frame.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back