need suggestions for 55 inch TV urgently -Toshiba U7980 ??

Let's move it to the Toshiba thread, as others with the same TV will also be able to help you out.

From what I see, in your setup, the TV shouldn't be any bother while playing DD audio from firestick, right? Firestick is directly plugged into the AVR. With TV's internal apps, you will first of all need an ARC compatible cable in HDMI 1 to ARC port of the receiver. Then you need to experiment with the audio options in the sound menu (auto, PCM, DD, DD+).

I'm currently using optical audio for my 5.1 speaker and all modes work exactly as expected.

WHen playing through firetvstick, I am getting DD 5.1 audio
I was not getting DD audio when playing directly on the native Apps. However, I could change the sound setting to DD in the TV menu and it worked fine. Surprisingly, the auto/passthrough/DD+ nothing else worked, not sure why
Anyways, I am done with the crappy OS and interface. I should be getting the fireTV stick 4K soon (managed to get one free :))

I tried with the same settings mentioned by you with little changes here and there and I am very happy with the PQ. Even the full HD videos look pretty good to me. I have not seen any issues with motion yet. but need to see with sports

Mods, please close this thread

^^
Thanks a lot. I will reach out to you by DM if needed.
Any idea why I am not getting the 5.1 DD sound when I am using the native Netflix or Prime Video App?
In my earlier Samsung TV, it was the exactly same setup and it used to work perfectly fine.
I am yet to test with movies from USB drive

Edit - Saw your other post late.

I am using HDMI ARC to get DD on my AVR through TV's internal app (NF) and FireTV 4K connected directly to the TV. However, you have to set Audio to DD. PCM, Passthrough, DD+ etc are not working for me.

Since my AVR does not support 4K passthrough that well, I had to connect FireTV 4k to TV and pass audio over ARC. This way I see 4K content on TV while still able to enjoy DD on AVR.

Guys,

Seems like my 4.5 year old Samsung LED TV has given up (panel issue) . It is a 48 inch LED FHD TV with 120 Hz panel.
My usage is 99% movies and TV shows on various OTT channels. I have a 5.1 setup as well but I am expecting all TVs nowadays come with HDMI ARC etc.
Also, my TV runs for really long hours, as someone in the family keeps watching something.
So, longevity and warranty is a major requirement along with picture quality.
Also, in most cases, my room is dimly lit or dark.

AFter doing some research on this forum and the internet, I have shortlisted a few with different budget options.
Given my requirement, I think VA LED panel is good for me.
Also, I have decided 55 inch as my preferred size.

Option 1 -> HiSense/Sanyo/TCL, Cost around 40K.
Option 2 -> Toshiba U7980, cost 46K
Option 3 -> TCL QLED, cost 56K
Option 4 - > Samsung Frame, cost 73K
Option 5 -> Sony X9000H, cost 95K.

I am more inclined towards Toshiba U7980 as it has FALD which is not available in other TVs in this range. Even the Samsung Frame does not come with local dimming. Also, the Vidaa OS is not a concern for me, I can anyways use the FireTV stick, if needed. Also, it is the only TV providing 3 year standard warranty. My only concern is the 60 Hz refresh rate. Will that be a concern coming from a 120 Hz panel? I don't do gaming at all.

Please suggest urgently as I would like to make a decision in a day or two. All family members are going crazy without a TV as there is nothing else to do nowadays. :)
I was in same dilemma .. bought U7980 and I am glad that I made that decision.

Thanks to Lightgamer for the support..

Lightgamer is an asset to this forum. Even if I had some arguments with him, my maturity challenges me forthright that he was right.

BTW, I got it for 38.5k with my diners black card back then, with 4 year warranty.
I need to get into the Indian Card / discount game. Would appreciate you guys inputs on the same.
BTW flipkart would have only given you a 4.7k discount even on DCB card as rewards are only 3x(10%). Amazon would have netted you <40k though as rewards are at 5x(16.67%) there.
Do elaborate :D
I purchased an LG and in this festival offer, 2 years standard plus 3 year extra warranty came from company for around 3500. I read they have a good service network too. I suggest you see the performance live than to believe on hearsay.
Interesting. LG warranty seems very reasonably priced.
TCL is manufactured in same factory as HiSense, Kodak etc and the TVs sold here under this brand are nowhere near sold in US, so beware.
Hmm.. how come? Is that so? How can you tell? TCL HiSense are great value buys in the US
The TCL QLED C715 is available at less than 50K from flipkart (after applying credit card discounts), and the reviews whatever I have seen seem to be very good, Any proper reviews of the TCL QLED C715 available on rtings or anywhere else?
I'd be curious to find as well.

Xiaomi india won't launch a new premium product first in india.

Yes it has Dolby vision, hdr 10+, but all budget TV's also r getting that certificate without even crossing 500 nits.

When compared to u7980, it doesn't have FALD and 700 nits brightness.

For marketing purposes they just say high brightness and great black levels without mentioning actual figures because they didn't even specify that in china.

The delayed launch is just because there is no competition, but now toshiba/hisense r trying to change that, so now they woke, but they don't have a product to compete them, so they just buy reviewers and advertised that They just make few software changes
It's all about what you advertise.

When they advertise good TVs they advertise the panel brightness, zone count, contrast ratio etc..

Look at Mi master series for example. On the other hand, when you know you have a shit TV, all of these exact specs get hidden and get replaced by software and codec support, which have nothing to do with the picture quality. Or you get nonsense like QLED, how thin it is and so on...

Just by looking at the marketing of a TV, you can easily guess which kind of a TV it is. And this is not restricted to Xiaomi.
Interesting valid points. Is anyone talking about this online/ reviewer site or youtube?

I need to get into the Indian Card / discount game. Would appreciate you guys inputs on the same.

Do elaborate :D
HDFC Infinia is the best Credit card right now. Diners Club black used to be better when I got it, but now they've degraded it a bit. Infinia requires 45 LPA income though, so it's not easy to get.
Hmm.. how come? Is that so? How can you tell? TCL HiSense are great value buys in the US
The TVs TCL and Hisense sell in India are not the same as in the US. We mostly get rebranded 2017/18 low-end garbage which no one would buy in the US.

Peak brightness is >1000nits, has far field voice recognition, much better remote control, better reflection handling and the list goes on.
Thanks Blasto, Got x95G not for 85k but 2k more. The dealer recommended q70R compared to x9000h, but in the end got this. Checked the usage, everything is fine. Thanks for all your inputs. Hope to get OLED next time.
@BLASTO @cooltoad & Anyone who bought one?

I asked this here in general: But given that with my search very few TVs/ Brands/ Models have inbuilt FF mics, figure I'd ask/ linkhere as well.

TV: Handsfree control; play/pause, rewind/ forward on Prime Netflix YouTube Disney Spotify? when cook, fitness, declutter, DIY, Docu/ Edu/Note taking?

Via
Far Field Mics present on:

* In built on some TVs

* Linked Fire TV Box / Alexa/ Google Asst Speakers?

I find a lot of times I am watching stuff I like to keep busy or get some errands done.

HDFC Infinia is the best Credit card right now. Diners Club black used to be better when I got it, but now they've degraded it a bit. Infinia requires 45 LPA income though, so it's not easy to get.
I'll check if one my banker cousins has one - how much TV discount could one get?

Also @lightgamer any insights on the "Far Field Mic" based TV control that I am asking (right above - prev post)?

@BLASTO @cooltoad & Anyone who bought one?

I asked this here in general: But given that with my search very few TVs/ Brands/ Models have inbuilt FF mics, figure I'd ask/ linkhere as well.

TV: Handsfree control; play/pause, rewind/ forward on Prime Netflix YouTube Disney Spotify? when cook, fitness, declutter, DIY, Docu/ Edu/Note taking?

Via
Far Field Mics present on:

* In built on some TVs

* Linked Fire TV Box / Alexa/ Google Asst Speakers?

I find a lot of times I am watching stuff I like to keep busy or get some errands done.

What is the question again?

I'll check if one my banker cousins has one - how much TV discount could one get?
About 15k if the cost of the TV is say 1 lac. But it's points, not a flat discount. Those points can only be used for flight tickets or hotel bookings at 1:1 redemption rate. Else you get half.

Also this only applies to online only purchases on Amazon. So if the TV you want is overpriced on Amazon, tough luck.
Also @lightgamer any insights on the "Far Field Mic" based TV control that I am asking (right above - prev post)?
Not much idea about far field mics. Most TVs or boxes(firestick, Google TV etc) have mics on the remote.

Voice Control - Hands free

It is available in the X950g and generally has favorable review compared to the only other tv I know of which is the TCL.
As for actual usability review, will wait for @cooltoad who has got the x950G. I ended up getting the LG CX.

Edit: As for general voice control review, I installed alexa control to switch on/off tv, lights, fan etc using void enabled switches etc. It was fun at the start but not very useful because of the boot times it takes after power switchovers and also the volume required to register command etc.
If you talk at low volume, it wont register and if you shout, you end up waking up the kids. Other applications would have other nuisances IMO. So removed and not using any of them anymore.

It is available in the X950g and generally has favorable review compared to the only other tv I know of which is the TCL.
As for actual usability review, will wait for @cooltoad who has got the x950G. I ended up getting the LG CX.
Hope to.
Edit: As for general voice control review, I installed alexa control to switch on/off tv, lights, fan etc using void enabled switches etc. It was fun at the start but not very useful because of the boot times it takes after power switchovers and also the volume required to register command etc.
If you talk at low volume, it wont register and if you shout, you end up waking up the kids. Other applications would have other nuisances IMO. So removed and not using any of them anymore.
It started for me as a Nice to Have.. But now its Core to my daily tasks. I didnt get switches yet but Smart Lights & Spotify control via Voice is key.

A lot of tasks I get done via Timers & Routines.

A lot of time I am watching some TV or Docu or Videos etc, I try to get some errands out of the way.. but at those times I am moving or handling things and would like to have "voice control"

I cant say the same about power failures as you experience in Hyd. Not so much in Bombay.
Maybe you have Big Rooms/ Houses in Hyd so you have to shout .. :D its pretty sensitive and works fine for me here.

Hope to.

It started for me as a Nice to Have.. But now its Core to my daily tasks. I didnt get switches yet but Smart Lights & Spotify control via Voice is key.

A lot of tasks I get done via Timers & Routines.

A lot of time I am watching some TV or Docu or Videos etc, I try to get some errands out of the way.. but at those times I am moving or handling things and would like to have "voice control"

I cant say the same about power failures as you experience in Hyd. Not so much in Bombay.
Maybe you have Big Rooms/ Houses in Hyd so you have to shout .. :D its pretty sensitive and works fine for me here.
I'm pretty sure you dont have the kid(s) sleeping with you. It is a matter of who is more sensitive, Alexa or the kid(s). :D

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back