need suggestions for 55 inch TV urgently -Toshiba U7980 ??

It is also correct to note here that the showroom in question only deals with a handful of manufacturers now compared to a few years ago. Panasonic and apple are amoung the brands that they dont sell anymore. Maybe they dont want to deal with water thin margins even given the mass sales or maybe got into tussle.

If you dig the forum, you can find some small shops doing exactly that. (Swipe bigger amount and return cash)

Bigger chains are too big to survive a fail. This is also blatant since you are dealing with 1000s of individual customers instead of 1 bank. One bad apple can spoil the show. It is also easy to claim interest waiver and cashback as motivations to buy instead of justifying distributing free money under the government's and manufacturer's nose.
Makes sense. Also since they are paying the interest in advance, they probably have deals with the banks for lower interest than the 10k amount a customer would have to pay.

Ok, the TV has been installed. Can someone please share the picture settings, to start with?

Last edited:
Some observation -
Saw some 4K videos on youtube, mindblowing quality
The OS has very limited apps but even those are terrible. I played Grand tour on prime video and the sound quality was pathetic. (I was using HDMI ARC) - low volume, poor clarity etc. ALso, Dolby digital was not available when played directly on the native Prime video App.
Then I played the same through the FireTV stick (normal one, not 4K) and there was a huge difference. ALso, the Dolby digital worked fine.
Before I place the order for the 4K version of the Firetv Stick, I would like to know if that's going to be worth it. Or, should I stick to the normal FIreTV stick and wait for the OS updates in few months?

PS - I have a 5.1 setup, the firetv stick and DTH are connected to the AVR and the AVR is connected to the TV through ARC.

Some observation -
Saw some 4K videos on youtube, mindblowing quality
The OS has very limited apps but even those are terrible. I played Grand tour on prime video and the sound quality was pathetic. (I was using HDMI ARC) - low volume, poor clarity etc. ALso, Dolby digital was not available when played directly on the native Prime video App.
Then I played the same through the FireTV stick (normal one, not 4K) and there was a huge difference. ALso, the Dolby digital worked fine.
Before I place the order for the 4K version of the Firetv Stick, I would like to know if that's going to be worth it. Or, should I stick to the normal FIreTV stick and wait for the OS updates in few months?

PS - I have a 5.1 setup, the firetv stick and DTH are connected to the AVR and the AVR is connected to the TV through ARC.
Wait for the sale on firestick 4k. When it gets below ₹4000, buy it. It's totally worth it.

Can get Samsung q60T for 78k and Sony x9000H for 86k. Are they worth the extra cash?

You might want to check out the below lead from chennai or the BX/CX. When hyd rates are so low, it is bound to come down everywhere else. Keep the prices I mentioned and negotiate.

Wait for the sale on firestick 4k. When it gets below ₹4000, buy it. It's totally worth it.
Thanks, what are the sources for 4K content? FOr netflix, I think I need to change my plan. What about Prime or Hotstar? Are they providing 4K?
Also, any idea why I am not getting dolby digital sound when playing through the TV directly (connected through ARC)

Thanks, what are the sources for 4K content? FOr netflix, I think I need to change my plan. What about Prime or Hotstar? Are they providing 4K?
Also, any idea why I am not getting dolby digital sound when playing through the TV directly (connected through ARC)
Netflix you need the 800 rupee per month plan. Prime will work with 4k HDR even with the normal prime membership. Haven't touched the TV app but the firestick app does 4k HDR. Hotstar you'll need premium membership for 4k and HDR (1400 per year).

I'm guessing the internal apps are broken right now. I'm able to get DD+ and Dolby Atmos on firestick and the TV's media app with compatible file.

If ARC works fine with Fire TV and not the internal app, you may try to find in settings if there is an option of "Play this TV in 4k 60fps" anywhere in sound option - maybe under advanced settings. Sorry, it may or may not be present in some TVs but if it is not turned on, there is some difference.

Don't buy the firestick 4k at ₹6k. Any of Amazon's first party product ranges (echo, kindle, fire) are massively overpriced without the sales. In any Amazon sale, it will be selling for 3.5-4k. You can use the internal TV apps for 1 month till the Republic day sale (if there is no Christmas or New year's sale before that) and get the firestick at almost half the price. The internal apps have prime, Netflix and YouTube which all work fine.

I got the firestick 4k for ₹3.2k this Diwali on sale. On top of it the diners black discount made it effectively ₹2.7k.

There's no TCL TV worth buying in India. And the only TVs below 1 lakh which I would consider are the U79 and Frame, unless you want a super budget secondary TV for cable content (but in that case you can buy any 1080p TV for 15k or use your old set).
How about the service of toshiba in India ?

Netflix you need the 800 rupee per month plan. Prime will work with 4k HDR even with the normal prime membership. Haven't touched the TV app but the firestick app does 4k HDR. Hotstar you'll need premium membership for 4k and HDR (1400 per year).

I'm guessing the internal apps are broken right now. I'm able to get DD+ and Dolby Atmos on firestick and the TV's media app with compatible file.
If ARC works fine with Fire TV and not the internal app, you may try to find in settings if there is an option of "Play this TV in 4k 60fps" anywhere in sound option - maybe under advanced settings. Sorry, it may or may not be present in some TVs but if it is not turned on, there is some difference.
I am not sure I explained correctly. The ARC is not used when I am using the fireTV stick as the FireTV stick is connected to the AVR and not the TV.
Anyways, I am going to get the 4K firetv stick. I hope I can get it for free as I work in the same company :)
People who are going to buy this TV, please consider the cost of the FireTV stick as well.
The Samsung Frame is not a bad option with 20K approx more, with better motion handling, gaming and probably better support.
I didn't want to buy Samsung anyways as I am not very happy with their previous TVs I have bought - neither support nor the reliability.

I am playing with the picture settings as posted in this forum on the U7980 owners thread but the picture look too bright and lacking contrast to me. I always watch TV in indoor lighting or dark condition. What settings are recommended in such situation? which ones should I be tweaking?

How about the service of toshiba in India ?
I don't have any experience with that. So no idea honestly

I am not sure I explained correctly. The ARC is not used when I am using the fireTV stick as the FireTV stick is connected to the AVR and not the TV.
Anyways, I am going to get the 4K firetv stick. I hope I can get it for free as I work in the same company :)
People who are going to buy this TV, please consider the cost of the FireTV stick as well.
The Samsung Frame is not a bad option with 20K approx more, with better motion handling, gaming and probably better support.
I didn't want to buy Samsung anyways as I am not very happy with their previous TVs I have bought - neither support nor the reliability.
Yeah, at 20k more the Samsung becomes a viable alternative. But TBH you also lose a lot of brightness and contrast you get with a FALD TV there. Also no Dolby Vision on Samsung. So it's not all positive for Samsung either.
I am playing with the picture settings as posted in this forum on the U7980 owners thread but the picture look too bright and lacking contrast to me. I always watch TV in indoor lighting or dark condition. What settings are recommended in such situation? which ones should I be tweaking?
I'm hoping you found my comment about the picture settings.

For SDR, if you have a dark room set the backlight to your preference, say 60 instead of 100. Local dimming should be set to high. Also set the colour gamut to native instead of auto.

Now you can adjust around with the gamma. Setting gamma to 2.4 will increase the contrast as well. If you still find it lacking (you shouldn't), then try playing with the colour saturation and adaptive contrast option. I hope it doesn't come to there though.

For HDR, set the colour gamut to native again, backlight should always be 100 here, local dimming high. Now you can play with the same saturation and adaptive contrast if it still isn't contrasty enough.

Feel free to PM me if you still can't get it right.

Edit: Also it'll be better to now close this thread and continue on the U79 thread.

Last edited:
^^
Thanks a lot. I will reach out to you by DM if needed.
Any idea why I am not getting the 5.1 DD sound when I am using the native Netflix or Prime Video App?
In my earlier Samsung TV, it was the exactly same setup and it used to work perfectly fine.
I am yet to test with movies from USB drive

Last edited:
^^
Thanks a lot. I will reach out to you by DM if needed.
Any idea why I am not getting the 5.1 DD sound when I am using the native Netflix or Prime Video App?
In my earlier Samsung TV, it was the exactly same TV and it used to work perfectly fine.
I am yet to test with movies from USB drive
Let's move it to the Toshiba thread, as others with the same TV will also be able to help you out.

From what I see, in your setup, the TV shouldn't be any bother while playing DD audio from firestick, right? Firestick is directly plugged into the AVR. With TV's internal apps, you will first of all need an ARC compatible cable in HDMI 1 to ARC port of the receiver. Then you need to experiment with the audio options in the sound menu (auto, PCM, DD, DD+).

I'm currently using optical audio for my 5.1 speaker and all modes work exactly as expected.

Q60T is trash. X9000H is pretty good for 86k. If you can afford that or go for the LG BX for 95k, they are definitely great options.

I personally would spend 95k/1.05L to get LG BX/CX honestly. OLEDs have amazing picture quality.
Sorry for the digression OP, but tried for LG BX. not available, LG CX 55 about 120/125k, above my budget, so have to decide between sony x9000h and x9500G, for about 84/88k. Is 950G better than 9000H, from the specs and reviews, not clear, why 9500G costs more. Is it worth spending about 5/6k more for it?

Sorry for the digression OP, but tried for LG BX. not available, LG CX 55 about 120/125k, above my budget, so have to decide between sony x9000h and x9500G, for about 84/88k. Is 950G better than 9000H, from the specs and reviews, not clear, why 9500G costs more. Is it worth spending about 5/6k more for it?
They both are FALD but 9500 has more local dimming zones. But 9000 has hdmi 2.1, if you aspire to buy PS5, it would be a good choice. But again a 65" 9500g costs 1.5 L and a 75" 8000h costs just 50k more for the extra real estate(9500g 75" costs a fortune!) and for casual viewing 8000h is more than enough. Three months EMI difference between a 75" entry level to a high-end 65" model. Screen size matters anyday.

X9500G over X9000H any day of the week. X9000H is only useful if you are going to use the HDMI 2.1 for PS5/Xbox Series X/PC.

X9500G has the wide angle filter, better brightness, better panel and processing

9500G is last year flagship and 9000H is this year higher midrange from Sony.
For around the same price, there is really no competetion.
9500G used to sell for more than 1.5L till some months back and got down in price since the OLEDs got down in price.
Peak brightness is >1000nits, has far field voice recognition, much better remote control, better reflection handling and the list goes on.
People dont discuss it much because, the 65" is out of stock everywhere and 55" is following the route. If you can ascertain sealed piece, it is one of the best values around for 85k.
If you saw side by side, the difference should be very visible even in showroom condition.
If x9000 is at 65k, that is how much value x9500 is at 85k. Easily beats the frame in value IMO.

Thanks Blasto, Got x95G not for 85k but 2k more. The dealer recommended q70R compared to x9000h, but in the end got this. Checked the usage, everything is fine. Thanks for all your inputs. Hope to get OLED next time.

Thanks Blasto, Got x95G not for 85k but 2k more. The dealer recommended q70R compared to x9000h, but in the end got this. Checked the usage, everything is fine. Thanks for all your inputs. Hope to get OLED
Where did you buy from??

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back