Need suggestions for android tv box

nsmehra

Hi Guys,

Don't know whether this is the correct forum to ask this question. Please feel free to move it to the appropriate forum.
I have recently bought a FULL HD samsung tizen smart tv. Now most of my entertainment requirements are fulfilled by netflix, amazon prime and jio cinema which came pre installed. But the following requirements are not met:
1. No airtel TV app - seems like most of the new bollywood releases are moving to airtel tv. (MUST HAVE)
2. Not DTS audio - samsung removed DTS support (GOOD to HAVE)

So I am thinking of buying an android tv box which can fulfill the above requirements mainly airtel tv. and if it can play DTS audio then great.
Please suggest. My budget is < 5k.

I guess DTS decoding, as the TV isn't doing it.
For decoding an AVR is a better box. Though you need the TV to pass the audio signals to the AVR if app is on TV.
I always thought all smart TVs pass thru at least 5.1 in Dolby or DTS
Cheers,
Raghu

Ok, so AVR then for DTS. But i need that airtel tv app, for that i guess only android tv box will do. right??

So I am thinking of buying an android tv box which can fulfill the above requirements mainly airtel tv. and if it can play DTS audio then great.

Any Android TV Box with Kodi can decode DTS, Dolby as 2.0 and as well as pass-through to AVR.. There are lot of generic Android TV boxes on amazon.in which can do the duty for you for < 5K..

1. No airtel TV app - seems like most of the new bollywood releases are moving to airtel tv. (MUST HAVE)
2. Not DTS audio - samsung removed DTS support (GOOD to HAVE)

Whats your Speaker system? Tv will not play DTS as its a Stereo system only. Yes it should be able to pass it through to an external speaker system, a receiver for example. If not, it will all be PCM.

Can you not install new apps in the TV? I am not sure about this as I use a Dumb TV.

MaSh

Get a FireTV Stick 4k .... and side load Airtel App. or use casting to play airtel app on phone and watch on stick (
). The stick is going to convert DTS to DD+ as far as I know but there is hardly any difference.

Thats the cheapest best media player I know out there.

Whats your Speaker system? Tv will not play DTS as its a Stereo system only. Yes it should be able to pass it through to an external speaker system, a receiver for example. If not, it will all be PCM.

Can you not install new apps in the TV? I am not sure about this as I use a Dumb TV.

MaSh
I have a dumb 2.1 speaker system. My tv has Tizen OS which doesnt have airtel app in its store. Fire Tv Stick will again have the problem of non-availability of apps as google play store will not be available and also I have many 10gb media files with DTS in an external HDD, which I wanted to just connect to box and watch.

Is buying from amazon preferred or should i get something from ali express?

You can side load the app and if side loading is too much then use any cast app to load airtel app from ur mobile to TV, . if that also is too much then drop firestick,

Try Mibox S, It does passthrough, but not sure if it decodes.

has anyone bought a android tv box from aliexpress/gearbest etc recently?

wondering if there are any custom duties to be paid for them if they're approx $40-60 especially since recently read that there was a govt notification not to allow "gift" imports IIRC

has anyone bought a android tv box from aliexpress/gearbest etc recently?

wondering if there are any custom duties to be paid for them if they're approx $40-60 especially since recently read that there was a govt notification not to allow "gift" imports IIRC

Which model is that you are considering from aliexpress / gearbest?.. There may be equivalent models on amazon.in.. Hope you have checked them..

Hi, In my opinion you would be better off to buy a blu ray player that supports android apps, decodes both DTS and DOLBY formats (including DTS HD MA and DOLBY TRUE HD). Here's the reason why I suggest this, modern blu ray players have their operating system like android or sony entertainment network which allows us to access several apps and you can also play cd's, DVD, blu ray along with the flexibility to play most of the videos and formats including 7.1 files on pen drive or hard disk (dolby digital plus) but with the android box under 5k I doubt you would get all these worked seamlessly. Check out the sony bdp s1500 blu ray it cost 7,490 MRP. Do some research on blu ray players for the price. You can even take a demo. Pick up a hard disk/pen drive with widely available video codec today and visit sony showroom for a demo. Since your TV only supports FULL HD (1080 does good job), there isn't a need for 4k android box.

but with the android box under 5k I doubt you would get all these worked seamlessly.

For playing content from external HDD (FHD BR Rips with Atmos / Dts X..), any android TV would do that effortlessly for less than 5K.. Even x265 would play without stuttering.. Streaming movies from compatible apps would be more easy..

For playing content from external HDD (FHD BR Rips with Atmos / Dts X..), any android TV would do that effortlessly for less than 5K.. Even x265 would play without stuttering.. Streaming movies from compatible apps would be more easy..

Please help mention some of these boxes to @nsmehra and let him go through the reviews in Youtube.

Which model is that you are considering from aliexpress / gearbest?.. There may be equivalent models on amazon.in.. Hope you have checked them..

havent fixed on a model yet but since its only for occasional use dont want to spend too much. difference between chinese sites & amazon seems to be 750-1500 even for the lower end s905w models. if there's risk of duty then i'd rather buy one locally

Hi, In my opinion you would be better off to buy a blu ray player that supports android apps, decodes both DTS and DOLBY formats (including DTS HD MA and DOLBY TRUE HD). Here's the reason why I suggest this, modern blu ray players have their operating system like android or sony entertainment network which allows us to access several apps and you can also play cd's, DVD, blu ray along with the flexibility to play most of the videos and formats including 7.1 files on pen drive or hard disk (dolby digital plus) but with the android box under 5k I doubt you would get all these worked seamlessly. Check out the sony bdp s1500 blu ray it cost 7,490 MRP. Do some research on blu ray players for the price. You can even take a demo. Pick up a hard disk/pen drive with widely available video codec today and visit sony showroom for a demo. Since your TV only supports FULL HD (1080 does good job), there isn't a need for 4k android box.

looking for 4k playback

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back