Need suggestions for setting up 5.1 system by expanding old one

sand64

Dear friends,

thanks for participating in my posts and enriching me in hifi world.

I am reviving this thread coz i am now able to move ahead in my quest of upgrading my stereo system to 5.1..:D

http://www.hifivision.com/diy/4371-need-suggestions-setting-up-5-1-system-expanding-old-one.html

Through this forum I came know that entry level AVR are no better than stereo amp when it comes to music. This reinforced my idea to retain my old system. But i was not able to hook up my samsung DVD player with existing amp through its phono sockets. I thought that the output of my DVD player is not matching with amp so decided to try another DVD player. My brother wanted one, so i gave my old samsung to him and bought LGs DVD 388H. Again the same problem.... when connected through phono jack the same distorted sound......... Perhaps my phono sockets is not ok...:mad:

Then by chance, I connected these jack from anologue out (L&R) of DVD to 'video in' of my amp and here it is.....

SQ is good, at least 95% good compaired to my existing system when same tracks played by its dedicated CD transport (my system comes with two seperate section, amp & twin cassette deck as one section & a tuner with CD transport as another section) both sections connected by dedicated cable and two four way floorstanders with 2x8" drivers. And it sounds reasonably ok, though I have never auditioned any audiophil grade equipments.;)

here I need help & sugessions from you & fellow boarders as how i should move ahead with my limited resources.

I found that I can also connect 'centre' with my TV's 'audio in' through a jeck. Though SQ from tv amp is not good, this way I only need an additional stereo amp to amplify rear L&R. This amp can be hooked for the time being, with my old pair of bookshelves (part of old system with turn table, purchased way back by my father and presently lying in junk yard). I will be needing an active sub. ... huh long to go..

Which amp should i buy? Do suppliment me with yr nice advices.....

thanks & regards..

Last edited:
You can do that way(even I did)but as spk & amps(frt & cen) will be of different types,you cannot get true effects.

But i was not able to hook up my samsung DVD player with existing amp through its phono sockets. I thought that the output of my DVD player is not matching with amp so decided to try another DVD player. My brother wanted one, so i gave my old samsung to him and bought LGs DVD 388H. Again the same problem.... when connected through phono jack the same distorted sound......... Perhaps my phono sockets is not ok...:mad:

Why were you connecting to phono jacks? They are meant for turntables (record players) which have very low millivolt current. Hence you hear distortion from DVD player. You should use Aux input.

Dear friends,

Through this forum I came know that entry level AVR are no better than stereo amp when it comes to music.

thanks & regards..

i would beg to differ. all things being constant (price, power output per channel) a stereo amp is generally better than an avr

i would beg to differ. all things being constant (price, power output per channel) a stereo amp is generally better than an avr

Dear afj,

This is what I am also saying......

Entry level AVRs are NO better that stereo amps...

Now please suggest how I should move ahead for making it complete 5.1..

- Firstly I will need a good stereo amp for rear left & right channels. I will then add a pair of bookshelves or floorstanders for rear. OR I can use existing pair for Rear & newly bought stereo & speakers for fronts...

- Will I be needing a sub? My existing pair of floorstanders have 2 x 8" drivers, will this be sufficient?

My budget is limited so will add slowly but would like to add good equipments... How are the equipments from Norge, being low cost?

Thanks & regards..

Dear afj,

This is what I am also saying......

Entry level AVRs are NO better that stereo amps...

Now please suggest how I should move ahead for making it complete 5.1..

- Firstly I will need a good stereo amp for rear left & right channels. I will then add a pair of bookshelves or floorstanders for rear. OR I can use existing pair for Rear & newly bought stereo & speakers for fronts...

- Will I be needing a sub? My existing pair of floorstanders have 2 x 8" drivers, will this be sufficient?

My budget is limited so will add slowly but would like to add good equipments... How are the equipments from Norge, being low cost?

Thanks & regards..

its not only 'not better' but its also worse. anyway as long as we're on the same page

whats your current set up - why do you want a stereo amp for the rears. you can go about this in two ways

1. have a avr pre amp and connect separate power amps (you will need atleast 3 - front, rear, and centre)

2. avr integrated amp.

if you like music then i suggest you go with a nad or a cambridge avr. i've heard the nad and read about the cambridge - theres hardly any difference in sq comparing the avrs to the stereo amps

Thanks afj

AVR will cost me a lot... and also AVR in itself is complete 5.1 which will render my existing stereo amp useless.

Configration of my existing set up is given in the following link.
http://www.hifivision.com/diy/4371-n...g-old-one.html

My initial budget is 10-12k so I may buy a NORGE amp. I already have a pair of bookshelves which I intend to use for the time being... as rear L&R.

Later on I may replace both bookshelves by a good pair of speakers (may be mission) and add a sub also..

I am more into music so will retain my stereo set up....meanwhile also want to enjoy movies.

If you have better idea then please suggest.

thanks & regards..

Last edited:
if you add another stereo amp to it you will have more speakers around the place but it will not decode into 5.1. it'll still be in stereo mode. the ONLY way you can get 5.1 is to get an avr - it will work out cheapest too. if you want to add on to your existing system then the maximum you can go for is a 2.1 - buy a active sub woofer. your stereo amp should have sub woofer out though.

Dear afj

My DVD player will do the decoding part... It has 5.1 analogue out.. through which i am presently connecting my existing stereo amp as front L&R and my TV as centre. I wish to add rear L&R through another amp.

My budget is limited as present... intends to buy a stereo amp first by investing 10 to 15k. Shall pump in more money on further upgradations.

Stereo amps will do the amplification part. I will go for an active sub later on.

how about it........

thanks & regards..

Last edited:
that should be doable. from what i read in your first post you have a no brand amp and speakers for your fronts. you could either follow similar patterns of product for your rear to keep the set up in sync with eachother. or use the current fronts as rears (either just amp or, both amp and speakers). major part of it is going to be up to you since i guess no one knows or has heard your set up on this forum. you'll have to depend a lot on your years. whats your budget by the way.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back