Need the best subwoofer around

samsailo

Hi Guys

I have plans buying the KEF IQ series floor standers, centre and sorround for my personal HT. I am planning to pair it up with the DENON 2309. Purpose is 70% music and 30% movies. Any other suggestions for a budget of 1.5 lakhs?

My queries....
1. Do bipolar speakers have better sorround than the normal book shelf?
2. What does bi wiring means? Does it enhances performance or sound quality?
If so, can u suggest any 5.0 system with biwiring under 1.5 lakh?
3. I am a bass freak and wanted powerful, low down (at least 20KHZ) thumping clear and high quality bass. I can afford 80k for it, pliz suggest a good sub.
4. I can spend a total of 2.5 lakhs for a 5.1 HT. Whats the best bargain i can get.

Thanks

Hi Guys
3. I am a bass freak and wanted powerful, low down (at least 20KHZ) thumping clear and high quality bass. I can afford 80k for it, pliz suggest a good sub.
Thanks

3. For 80K, audition the Quad L series sub. The best in it's class for tight, powerful base. The piano finish doesn't hurt your decor either :) But seriously, this is one sub that must be auditioned. Designer Audio (mumbai) had it for around Rs 65K.
There is also the B&W PV1? (shaped like a pressure vessel). Great sound but I think it's above Rs. 80K. Worth auditioning as well. The other usual suspects are the Velodyne series, Hsu and Rel. But I don't have the latest Indian prices and it may go over budget.

Last edited:
I believe you can find them in singapore. Their new ULS series double stacked might be a good plunge into the "best affordable sub around" tag.

1. Do bipolar speakers have better sorround than the normal book shelf?
The correct term for these kind of speakers is 'dipole'. The reason I am saying this is because there is a speaker manufacturer who has a brand called Bipolar Speakers.

Yes bipolar or dipole speakers are certainly better for surround sound. They push sound in two directions and thus give you more immersive sound.

2. What does bi wiring means? Does it enhances performance or sound quality? If so, can u suggest any 5.0 system with biwiring under 1.5 lakh?

There have been lots of threads on biwiring and biamping. Here are a few:

http://www.hifivision.com/audio-video-cables/615-bi-wiring.html
http://www.hifivision.com/amplifiers/1484-bi-amping-ca-540a-ver-2-a.html

if you are interested in biamping and biwiring, when you buy speakers, look behind. They should have four binding posts connected with a brass plate. if you have these, then the speakers can be biamped or biwired.

This has already been answered by Ajinkya and Audiodelic.

4. I can spend a total of 2.5 lakhs for a 5.1 HT. Whats the best bargain i can get.

You can assemble a good system with 2.5 lakhs. You have already chosen a good AVR and good set of speakers. Now finalise your sub. You should also leave aside some 30 to 40K for power conditioning, speaker cables, and connectors. What about a display unit? Have you finalised that, or do you already have one?

Cheers

Thanks everyone. How do i get these subs from singapore? Whom do i contact and how do i import them?

Thanx venkat, ur advices are really valuable. U advice about a good quality speaker cables and the power.

sam
if its 70% music then imo youre going about it the wrong way. if i were you i would go for a 2.1 system and invest the budget in a good pair of tower speakers and a good stereo amp. thats what i did. you could put in the sub as well

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back