Need Thougts on a New HT Setup

soulforged

Need Help on a New HT Setup

Hello,

I have been a 2-channel guy all this while and never really gave a thought to a HT setup. However, since the recent acquisition of an LCD (LG 32LH35), I have been gravitating towards it. Being of a 'two-track' mind, I need you to enlighten me on a few basic things -

My current system consists of NAD 320BEE and KEF Coda 90s. I am getting a really sweet deal on a used Coda 80 center. This would complete my front & center combo. I am thinking of adding Mission M33i as rears. Would that be overkill? Would it make sense going for a outdated used center spkr? A new one would probably not be available anywhere. If I don't go with this, would I have to dispose off my Coda 90s and go for a completely new 5.1 setup? Though hard to place (due to their side firing woofers), I really like their sound.

On the AVR front, what should I be looking for in terms of features (upscaling, HD audio decoding, inputs, pre outs, multi zone etc.)? My AVR budget tops out at 40K. What are my options? From what I have read here, 3 AVRs seem to find a lot of favour - Denon 1910, Onkyo TX-SR606 and Yammy 663.

Should I look at my AVR for music as well or should I continue with a dedicated stereo amp and share the speakers? COnsidering I have the budget 320BEE, would the SQ for music be comparable? When I have the moolah, I plan to go for a Lyrita amp + spkrs for my music in any case.

Other info -
The system would be placed in the living room area of 12x10. The area opens up from one side to the foyer and dining space of around 20x12 (approx).
My movie choices are mainly animation, action and comedy but my wife likes the heavier type stuff
Music choice for both is mainly to progressive rock and jazz
Audio source includes CDs and Vinyl (and the occasional cassette)

:cheers:

:signthankspin:

Last edited:
If you already like the sound signature why change, i would say get hold of the center and ive run a setup with different surround speakers for years i think it should be fine ...... lets others chime in will give you a better picture

+1 to that. The centre should do fine as long as the condition is good. Rears can be from any different brand. You could use KEFs iQ1 / iQ10 also for surrounds.

For the AVR I would suggest Marantz 5003 (new one 5004 if available) or Denon 1910. If you are willing to go grey route you can also look at Denon 2310 or Marantz 6003. Since you are musically inclined I would avoid Onkyo/Yamaha. You can continue to use your amp for stereo as the higher amps have preouts.

Raghav

If you already like the sound signature why change, i would say get hold of the center and ive run a setup with different surround speakers for years i think it should be fine ...... lets others chime in will give you a better picture

Thanx audiodeli and Raghav...my point exactly! I do not want to do away with the coda 90s but just a bit apprehensive abt the center...I haven't seen/heard it yet.

Where can I get Marantz in Bangalore and how much would it cost?

Get an AVR with preouts for all 5 channels. Use you NAD as the amp for the front channels and the avr for the centre and rears. This way, when you upgrade to the Lyrita (or other amp) in the future, you won't have to throw away your avr. Since you listen to vinyl and CD, a good two channel system would always be nice to have.

Another option is to go for a 3 channel power amp for the rears and centre, and supply the 5.1 sound from a DVD player capable of decoding all the formats (oppo and marantz have this facility of 5.1 preouts on their DVD players). This way, you have a good quality amplifier system (NAD_ + power amp) and you can change the source (DVD or bluray once it stabilises) and keep up with the latest formats without needed to worry about the avr. Oppo players have a great upconversion feature and are known for very good sound quality as well.

I'm giving this advice from experience, where a friend of mine went through heartache when trying to upgrade his 5.1 setup to a better sound for the front channels. Since he did not have an avr with preouts, he had to sell the avr for very cheap and start over. The tape-loop out option did not work well for him.

-Ajinkya.

okay...though its overshooting my budget I'm adding CA 640 into my list...any feedback on this one? I got an on-the-phone quote of 57K...how much does it cost on the street?

Also just spoke to a dealer and he was talking about model x only upscales while model y upconverts...I used to think they meant the same!!! what's teh difference? :confused:

I picked up the coda 80 yesterday...now the next step is to pick up an AVR...I checked out the 1910 yesterday and was quite impressed by it...

any suggestions on the AVR?

Last edited:
Can't comment on Denon, but can say that Onkyo AVRs provide a good end-to-end user experience relative to Yamaha ones. The Onkyo remotes are also very intutive and have all the features that a typical HT user needs... As you have a separate 2.0 setup, do consider the Onkyo AVRs as well for the HT setup.

Can't comment on Denon, but can say that Onkyo AVRs provide a good end-to-end user experience relative to Yamaha ones. The Onkyo remotes are also very intutive and have all the features that a typical HT user needs... As you have a separate 2.0 setup, do consider the Onkyo AVRs as well for the HT setup.

Thanks Kumar...do you suggest any particular model that I should check out? I have only heard abt the 606...

Thanks Kumar...do you suggest any particular model that I should check out? I have only heard abt the 606...

I had a Onkyo-504 earlier and moved on to a Yamaha 665 to make it a music+HT compromise setup. Didn't look at any of the recent Onkyo AVRs as I was focussing on Yamaha, hence can't offer any suggestions readily on Onkyos.

Why not compare the middle-tier Onkyo AVRs and come back with your queries?

BTW, mistakes, when they are our own are much more bearable... :lol:

I had a Onkyo-504 earlier and moved on to a Yamaha 665 to make it a music+HT compromise setup. Didn't look at any of the recent Onkyo AVRs as I was focussing on Yamaha, hence can't offer any suggestions readily on Onkyos.

Why not compare the middle-tier Onkyo AVRs and come back with your queries?

BTW, mistakes, when they are our own are much more bearable... :lol:

Thanks Kumar, so what I understand is that Yamaha AVRs are better if you are looking for a music+HT combo...how do you find the 665?

BTW own mistakes could be more bearable but also more expensive :D

Thanks Kumar, so what I understand is that Yamaha AVRs are better if you are looking for a music+HT combo...how do you find the 665?

I disposed of my earlier 6.1 speakers and currently am rebuilding my speaker set. I have the Axiom M3 fronts and as far as Yamaha 665 + M3s are concerned, they paired really well for music or otherwise movies in downmix mode. I need to wait till my 5.1 speakers are ready before commenting in a HT context.

I have recently bought a denon 790, which is same as 1910. I should say to my ears and eyes it provides excellent value for the money I have spent:eek:hyeah: though I imported it form US. Especially, its upscaling quality is awesome and its DSP modes. It has Dolby prologic IIz which supports front height channels providing a wide front stage experience. I may sound biased, but I was using a Yammy 359 and 363 before I bought Denon.

So far as good, I am still enjoying and still I am yet to complete my setup pending surrounds, using YAmmy satellites for surrounds now.

Hope this helps. Wish you luck and joy on your new setup!

If you have not decided till date on the A.V. receiver I suggest you to consider ONKYO TX-SR 576 which supports music very well ,resembling reproduction of sterio amps, than any ONKYO models , which I have purchased recently and using it with Wharfdale Diamond 10.1 as fronts.

Regards

Checked out Denon 1910 and Onkyo 707 over the weekend. Wanted to check 606 but the dealer did not have it on demo. Said it would be the same as 707 but less power :rolleyes:

The overall PQ of Onkyo was good, better with a Blu-ray disc but just okay with a regular DVD. But the sound was not all that great especially in stereo mode. The AVR was paired with a Philips BDP and B&W speakers (forgot the model...625 i think)

Denon, I felt, was just a shade better in terms of visual presentation as well as on the sound quality.

The Onkyo guy was willing to let go of a 606 at 37K if I paid cash. The Denon guy was hovering around 38.5 for the 1910. Fair price?

I now intend to check Yamaha 663/665 and then take the call...

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back