Need to buy internet radio reciever..

kaustubh

As you may all be aware its soon gonna be RIP Worldspace..

Was wondering about your views on the most VFM internet radio receiver..

Till now the ones I found are.. Logitech Squeezbox, Phillips Streamium, Acoustic Energy WiFi Internet Radio(only seen on amazon), Roku Soundbridge etc..

Im looking for something around 10k that can play free indian music channels (if they exist!! )

Buddy

If you are talking about a good internet radio, which frequency enough to play uninterrupted Indian Channels, than i think you should not stick to a low budget of Rs.10K...
Though there are many options available in that range, but,
i would prefer you go in for NetStreams... They have a model, that's worth Rs.20K, i bought the same one for my client couple of months back...

You can visit, the Netstreams website to find out there retailers, or i will see my purchase bills to find out where i bought it from for my client...

The player i am talking about is working quit nice on a Airtel 512KBPS unlimited plan, we have integrated the same, with the AV Automation, and controlling it from Touchscreen and Learning Remotes, and signal lose is almost negligible...

you can try xtreamer at a 10k budget. It can also play music from a local hard disk. However, there are some pain points with the player like
- no bit perfect digital output,
- remote control on ipod doesn't allow you to browse and play - which means a screen (TV, monitor or a projector) needs to be on while selecting station etc.

If you can live with these limitations. For internet radio quality, bit perfect digital out shouldn't bother you much and you should use the analog outs.

regards

Hmm this looks good. Didn't know about it.
So we can have it play internet radio even with PC off?
And, no option for external DAC? Would hate to have all the good audio on my HDD play in low quality..

Back to squeezebox I guess.. Its supposed to have a good internal DAC.. Could have done without the speaker and screen on it though..

you can try xtreamer at a 10k budget. It can also play music from a local hard disk. However, there are some pain points with the player like
- no bit perfect digital output,
- remote control on ipod doesn't allow you to browse and play - which means a screen (TV, monitor or a projector) needs to be on while selecting station etc.

If you can live with these limitations. For internet radio quality, bit perfect digital out shouldn't bother you much and you should use the analog outs.

regards

I also just came across Asus OPlay and WDTV with Networking capabilities.

Has anyone done a comparison of the three (Asus Oplay, WDTV and Xtreamer)

I would need the one with the best audio and widest internet radio support..

If you want to listen while surfing and have a laptop ...
quick standby ,wifi are already there .

Get radioMaster (software player) ,it has a huge bookmarks of stations.(download from softpedia site)

you can add more free channels it plays very well .
With the laptop you can use high quality DAC also may be Qinpu Amp speaker combo.
Channels like DR Jazz are good enough...
i am yet to add few indian radios ..

Those who have Radiomaster or other player
use :http://asx.abacast.com/arabian_radio-city-64.asx for CITY101.6

Last edited:
squeezebox touch Amazon.com: Logitech Squeezebox Touch: Electronics is what should be able to play even when laptop is off, from a local hdd. However, the status on Amazon is still "pre-order" so no idea when and whether it would hit the market.

Xtreamer can also play from HDD, so no comp required - however, I have not yet compared with my NAD CDP which is lying packed. But a quick comparison with philips DVDp's analog out - the clarity is less and bass is over emphasized, keeping everything else in the chain the same.

AFAIK the digital out of xtreamer is NOT bit perfect. How would that translate into SQ is still to be figured out as I have not yet put it through an external DAC.

Hmm this looks good. Didn't know about it.
So we can have it play internet radio even with PC off?
And, no option for external DAC? Would hate to have all the good audio on my HDD play in low quality..

Back to squeezebox I guess.. Its supposed to have a good internal DAC.. Could have done without the speaker and screen on it though..

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back