Need to send a TV as diwali gift to parents - HELP!

nocrapman

So guys,
I have been toying with the idea of purchasing a LCD TV online 40 - 50"; and getting it delivered to my folks in Delhi. Does anyone know of a good reliable site that will help me do this without a huge markup in price? Or is this a foolish way to do this! My Dad has wanted to do this for a while, but is unable to make up his mind, so has been sitting on it for a while.

Budget: under Rs/-100K.
Brands: any as long as the picture quality is good.
Specs: Full HD.

No idea on online shops, but as far as models are concerned, with 100k as budget, I think you should opt for sony W series 40". I think that would cost about 90-95k.

decide on the model, search on web for shops in delhi, call them up, negotiate, pay by cc, ask them to deliver

sorry bro, tried speakig to dealers to check if they will deliver in Delhi, none came back with an yes...why not try ebay?

+1 for ebay india. There are some good deals now like a 42" LG Plamsa for around 37K IIRC. Only make sure you check the feedback about the seller before you plonk down your money. Ebay also has some checks in place to ensure you don't get taken for a ride.

OP has not responded in this thread at all since he started it.

sorry bro, tried speakig to dealers to check if they will deliver in Delhi, none came back with an yes...why not try ebay?

Thanks a bunch! Appreciate your efforts!
Electronics dealers... at least in Delhi are not the most scrupulous. Unless I have a clear idea of what the street price of a unit is, I might be taken for a ride, just because I am calling from US or outside!

Will be my last resort regardless!

+1 for ebay india. There are some good deals now like a 42" LG Plamsa for around 37K IIRC. Only make sure you check the feedback about the seller before you plonk down your money. Ebay also has some checks in place to ensure you don't get taken for a ride.

OP has not responded in this thread at all since he started it.

I am not a very keen ebayer!
But I will look at the deal you are reffering to and post the link here for comments before I purchase. Co-incidentally I do have a 42"LG LCD here at my home for the last 2 years and it has worked perfectly till date without any issues. It does however benefit from a good power conditioner. With the crazy power supply in India, I might have to look for one of those too!

Thanks for the tip...

I am not a very keen ebayer!
But I will look at the deal you are reffering to and post the link here for comments before I purchase. Co-incidentally I do have a 42"LG LCD here at my home for the last 2 years and it has worked perfectly till date without any issues. It does however benefit from a good power conditioner. With the crazy power supply in India, I might have to look for one of those too!

Thanks for the tip...

In Mumbai at least there is absolutely no need for power conditioning given the fact that most TVs, even the CRT ones handle the entire gamut of voltage for worldwide operation. Metro Delhi should be OK too. Not sure what happens in far flung outskirts though.
BTW note that the 42 incher I told you about is a Plasma not LCD if that matters to you. The resolutions is 1024x768 IIRC.

In Mumbai at least there is absolutely no need for power conditioning given the fact that most TVs, even the CRT ones handle the entire gamut of voltage for worldwide operation. Metro Delhi should be OK too. Not sure what happens in far flung outskirts though.
BTW note that the 42 incher I told you about is a Plasma not LCD if that matters to you. The resolutions is 1024x768 IIRC.

Power conditioning does do a lot for the noise built into our power sources, not just limited to surges and drops. This is what I have and am very happy with it: Amazon.com: APC AV H10BLK Home Theater 1000VA Power Filter and Conditioner (BLACK): Musical Instruments
Definitely cleaned up the picture expecially with cable TV. My entire HT is routed through the above unit except for the power amp.

I think you will not get the warranty unless you buy the product from an authorized dealer, please check the terms and conditions on warranty. Its better you find some local shops where your parents' live and negotiate for the price and transfer the money to their a/c and tell them to deliver it to your parents' address, same as you go and buy from the shop, else you will not get the warranty and bill.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back