Need Urgent Advice: Marantz PM6004 vs Analog audio labs a101i tube hybrid amp

prajith25

Hello experts,

I need your advice on buying Marantz PM6004 vs Analog audio labs a101i tube hybrid amp.

If I was to buy any of these amps without auditioning, then what do you thing is a better choice?
What are the advantage and disadvantage of this tube amp?
Is budget tube amp better than Marantz?
What BS speakers are good for this tube amp? ( I have a MS Aviano 1)
Will a Marantz CD6004 sound good with tube amp? What source should I be looking for?

Please share whatever you feel, I need as many inputs from you people since I need to take a call ASAP.

I think Analog audio labs a101i is more of a headphone amp. So can someone tell me what will be a better alternate to Marantz in tube amp from Analog audio labs ?

Even I am looking forward for getting some gear from Analog Audio labs.

Coming to your questions

A-labs A-130i is 30w/ch and that's pretty high output from a budget tube amp. I think its not just a head phone amp. I heard couple of their other gear and was sounding warm and smooth compared to an SS amp. Its better to use a tube amp with a high efficiency speaker to get the maximum juice :). I would say sensitivity more than 94db will sound the best.

I listened to Marantz 6004 with Jamo and Klipsch speakers and it has a typical SS sound with amazing details and punch. Please be noted that 6004 is well suited for book shelf speakers as its output is only 40w/ch @8ohms.

For my music taste (warm/lush and full), I would go for a tube amp.

I also noticed that the price of A-labs A-130i is almost double the cost of PM6004.

Please talk to Chacko from Analog Audio Labs. He is a very helpful person.

Thanks,
John.

Hi Prajith,

Have you heard a tube amp? If you haven't, please try and hear a couple before taking a decision. You are based in Bangalore, where there are many good Hi-Fi audio dealerships. Please fix up and appointment and try and hear a few systems (both tube based and non-tube based). Since you already have speakers, try and carry your speakers to the dealer's place so that you can audition with you own speakers. You will be able to hear different possibilities in your budget. Also, a good dealer will be able to guide you well on amplifier selection.

Best,
APK

I saw your name in the Bangalore Audio Meet on 28th. Analog Audio Labs will be showcasing some of their tube gear there. Lets have a detailed audition before you bite the bullet on tube amp as suggested by APK above :).

-John.

I need your advice on buying Marantz PM6004 vs Analog audio labs a101i tube hybrid amp.

A-labs A-130i is 30w/ch and that's pretty high output from a budget tube amp.

Hi John,
I think the OP was asking about the a101i which is a 18W push pull amp and not the a130i.

Have not heard either of them though, but have heard quite a few other tube amps.

Best,
APK

I saw your name in the Bangalore Audio Meet on 28th. Analog Audio Labs will be showcasing some of their tube gear there. Lets have a detailed audition before you bite the bullet on tube amp as suggested by APK above :).

-John.

Prajith,
John's suggestion is a very good one. An audio meet is like a buffet lunch - you get to taste a large number of dishes (in this case audio systems!:)) at the same place. Not to mention the added benefit of meeting up with some very knowledgable folks!

BTW, it seems to be raining audio meets all around, first in Pune, then Mumbai, Delhi, Hyd and now B'lore!

You folks have a good time....

Best,
APK

I saw your name in the Bangalore Audio Meet on 28th.

-John.

Yes John. That is one reason I was in a hurry. There is one used PM 6004 for sale and did not want to miss that.

I was thinking PM6004 was a better choice than going for a budget tube amp. So I wanted to know the experts view.

I know auditioning will make a lot of difference in my decision, but don't have the time to go around.

Hi John,
I think the OP was asking about the a101i which is a 18W push pull amp and not the a130i.

Have not heard either of them though, but have heard quite a few other tube amps.

Best,
APK

Oh my bad. I am very sorry about giving wrong comparison. If you were considering 101i and PM6004, my vote would be for PM6004 for the power and input options.

Sorry once again for the confusion and thanks APK for pointing this out :).

-John.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back