Need you help in my buying decision

rajat071

Hi Experts,

I am newbie to this forum. I need your help in my HT buying decision. I am looking for a good HT setup around 20 K, with good connectivity options and decent audio quality.

Out of given options[Onkyo, Pioneer, Sony, Philips], I zeroed on Onkyo. Initially thinking of its HT 3100 which was coming around 19 K last year, now 21.5 K. But yesterday had a demo of its HT S3200, this one seems to be better(with things like Audyssey options etc), but costs around 25 K. Though the dealer also suggested one more option with Onkyo 304 AV, Onkyo powered Sub and Pure Acoustics speaktes, which seems to sound even better, but this costs around 27 K.

I also came across with an ad in Bangalore, for Pioneer HT setups(with tall boy speaker options), sounds reasonably priced but never had a chance to listen to any of them, so not sure about their quality.

So am simply puzzled now. Can you guys please help me to figure out a better deal out of all these?

pioneer avrs are decent but never heard HTiBs from them. Usually its advisable to stay away from HTiBs actually but at a fixed budget they are a VFM solution at least in movies. For stereo your budget and HTiB will not help.

So you usage should determine what to opt for - personally speaking the onkyo 3200 is a complete VFM solution and pretty good for movies and a best buy for you.

For stereo and if you are deep into music stay away though.

And stay away from Sony, Samsung, Philips (a couple of them are okay) HTiBs - they are bad big time.

Thanks for the prompt response suprateep and moserw.

suprateep, As you said HT- S3200 could be good buy for movies but won't be as good as for stereo/music. Can you please suggest me a good setup for stereo then, around 25 K ?

Thanks for the prompt response suprateep and moserw.

suprateep, As you said HT- S3200 could be good buy for movies but won't be as good as for stereo/music. Can you please suggest me a good setup for stereo then, around 25 K ?

i would say norge 1000 with norge BS.

If you going the pre-owned route I would suggest the psb image + NAD 326.

Also understand you would need a decent CDP - so a norge combo would be around 19-20k and save the rest for a decent CD player. Even a pioneer 610 would do if you need an all in one player or else a CD player can be had for 5-10k (preowned/new)

Also I would suggest go for a separate surround/movie and stereo systems - best of both worlds from one system would cost you a bomb

Man....thats what I was looking for...thanks a ton for suggesting me this.....wohhh...the norge apms are praised all over......great...but alas this won't help me in terms of HT setup....but nevertheless I am gonna go for it.....Thanks suprateep for introducing norge to me.....I had never heard them before....

Man....thats what I was looking for...thanks a ton for suggesting me this.....wohhh...the norge apms are praised all over......great...but alas this won't help me in terms of HT setup....but nevertheless I am gonna go for it.....Thanks suprateep for introducing norge to me.....I had never heard them before....

just see if norge is available with some dealer in Bangalore - call Mr. Bajaj directly and check if he has dealers in Bangalore. Its good VFM and their combo of norge 1000/2060 with BS sounds sweet.

Apart from it lower end of Marantz and whardale 9.1/9.2 can be considered. See if that suits you. Or MS 902 and CA 340 or above.

Audition all and decide man.

just see if norge is available with some dealer in Bangalore - call Mr. Bajaj directly and check if he has dealers in Bangalore. Its good VFM and their combo of norge 1000/2060 with BS sounds sweet.

Apart from it lower end of Marantz and whardale 9.1/9.2 can be considered. See if that suits you. Or MS 902 and CA 340 or above.

Audition all and decide man.

Audition of norge is an issue here in Bangalore, no dealer. I did call Mr Bajaj and he gave me one of his customer reference, so planing to go there an check. But he has only amp, speakers he is using are of whardale.
However what do you suggest on speaker front? norge BS ? are they good enough? why I am asking this is, I have heard a lot about their apms, but nothing about their speakers :(

The 304 + pure acoustics + onkyo sub setup, is much much better than the 3100, and worth the extra money you pay, simply because Onkyo's satellite speakers are crap. I've heard both setups, and the former is definitely worth the extra cash.

Hi Experts,

I am newbie to this forum. I need your help in my HT buying decision. I am looking for a good HT setup around 20 K, with good connectivity options and decent audio quality.

Out of given options[Onkyo, Pioneer, Sony, Philips], I zeroed on Onkyo. Initially thinking of its HT 3100 which was coming around 19 K last year, now 21.5 K. But yesterday had a demo of its HT S3200, this one seems to be better(with things like Audyssey options etc), but costs around 25 K. Though the dealer also suggested one more option with Onkyo 304 AV, Onkyo powered Sub and Pure Acoustics speaktes, which seems to sound even better, but this costs around 27 K.

I also came across with an ad in Bangalore, for Pioneer HT setups(with tall boy speaker options), sounds reasonably priced but never had a chance to listen to any of them, so not sure about their quality.

So am simply puzzled now. Can you guys please help me to figure out a better deal out of all these?

If you going the pre-owned route I would suggest the psb image + NAD 326.

Also understand you would need a decent CDP - so a norge combo would be around 19-20k and save the rest for a decent CD player. Even a pioneer 610 would do if you need an all in one player or else a CD player can be had for 5-10k (preowned/new)

Also I would suggest go for a separate surround/movie and stereo systems - best of both worlds from one system would cost you a bomb

Hi suprateep, How about pairing up Norge 2060 with 75 Bookshelf Speakers. They seems to be under my budget(b/w 15 to 20 K).

Or Norge 2060 + Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 ?

Last edited:
The 304 + pure acoustics + onkyo sub setup, is much much better than the 3100, and worth the extra money you pay, simply because Onkyo's satellite speakers are crap. I've heard both setups, and the former is definitely worth the extra cash.

Thanks for the advice psychotropic, yeah I too realized it. However whats your take on Norge ?

Thanks a lot Yogesh for you suggestion. Now here I would try to elaborate my requirement further more. This may help you guys to suggest me better.

After a good amount of search on net and reading through various thread here in this forum. I have figure out few components based on my needs and budget. Please have a look and advice.

Amps: [Almost decided on Norge amps]
Norge 2060 7600 Rs 2 Channel, 80 W RMS each, 10Hz 80KHz
Norge 1000 10000 Rs - 2 Channel, 125 W RMS each, 10Hz 80KHz

Speakers:
Norge Millenium Book Shelf - 15000 Rs 2 Way, 1 driver 6 x 1 silk dome tweeters, 125 W RMS, 4 ohm, 40Hz 30KHz.

Norge MD Symphony Book Shelf 15000 Rs 3 Way, 2 drivers 5 x 1 soft dome tweeters, 120 W RMS, 4 ohm, 30Hz - 23KHz, 90 db.
Ref : http://www.norgeaudio.com/oct_08.pdf

Norge TWR 125 Tower 18000 Rs - 2 Way, 1 drivers 6 vifa mid-woofer x 1 vifa silk dome tweeters, 120 W RMS, 4 ohm, 30Hz 25KHz, 88db.

Norge MD 75 - 8750 Rs 2 Way, 1 driver 5 x 1 aluminium dome tweeters, 80 W RMS, 4 ohm, 40Hz 23KHz, 90 db.
Ref : http://www.wavecor.com/Norge-75_2.pdf

Warfedale 9.1 11000 Rs 5 bass driver, 100 W RMS, 6 ohm, 86 db, 50 Hz 24 KHz.

Warfedale 9.2 15000 Rs 6.5 bass driver, 100 W RMS, 6 ohm, 86 db, 45 Hz 24 KHz.

Please refer Norge Audio for norge product specifications and Designer Audio - Products for Warfedale speaker specifications.

Now as mentioned earlier, my constraints would be,
1: Looking for a budget setup around 20 K, However can stretch little in case of real value for some extra bucks.

2: I will be using it 80% for Audio and 20% for watching movies.

3: I listen to almost everything which I like at times, right from Indian Classical(mostly Santoor and Tabla), Gazals and soft vocals to fast hindi movies tracks, Panjabi, dance numbers, Pop. So basically a setup should respond well in all the ranges(low mid -high), and posses tight and enough bass to fill a living room.

4: Currently not planning to go for a sub-woofer, in future may add it. How much a budget sub-woofer would cost ?

5: Would also like to play radio/FM etc.

Now keeping all these points in mind, what would be the best bet for me.

So far I am planning to pair up norge 2060 with either Warfedale 9.2 Or Norge MD Symphony Book Shelf. What says ?
Or pairing up, norge 2060 with Norge MD 75, with addition of a sub-woofer(not sure about its cost).

I really need your comment/suggestions on it guys, any suggestion or response would be highly appreciated. Actually I am kinda confused with all the option available, and most of them I havent auditioned(except norge 1000 + Warfedale 9.1). Though this weekend, I am planning to audition all the possible combinations, mentioned above.

Please help me to figure out, best possible combo in my budget.

PS: Also can some body explain the significance of Speaker Driver size, sensitivity(db), impedance(ohm) values. And how to match amps power handling(RMS) with speakers?

Last edited:
While you are at it, try to audition the CA 340A and Marantz PM4001 with Diamond 9.1 as well.

Even though they appear very modest in the range, all are exceptional performers in that price bracket.

Happy auditions.

Hi,

Although I have never heard them, I have heard good things (VFM) about CA S20 or CA S30 bookshelf speakers (can't remember if it's the S20 or S30). They cost less than the 9.1's, I think, and are rated quite well. Has anybody here heard them? Would these be appropriate for Rajat?

Regards.

Thanks a lot Yogesh for you suggestion. Now here I would try to elaborate my requirement further more. This may help you guys to suggest me better.

After a good amount of search on net and reading through various thread here in this forum. I have figure out few components based on my needs and budget. Please have a look and advice.

Amps: [Almost decided on Norge amps]
Norge 2060 7600 Rs 2 Channel, 80 W RMS each, 10Hz 80KHz
Norge 1000 10000 Rs - 2 Channel, 125 W RMS each, 10Hz 80KHz

Speakers:
Norge Millenium Book Shelf - 15000 Rs 2 Way, 1 driver 6 x 1 silk dome tweeters, 125 W RMS, 4 ohm, 40Hz 30KHz.

Norge MD Symphony Book Shelf 15000 Rs 3 Way, 2 drivers 5 x 1 soft dome tweeters, 120 W RMS, 4 ohm, 30Hz - 23KHz, 90 db.
Ref : http://www.norgeaudio.com/oct_08.pdf

Norge TWR 125 Tower 18000 Rs - 2 Way, 1 drivers 6 vifa mid-woofer x 1 vifa silk dome tweeters, 120 W RMS, 4 ohm, 30Hz 25KHz, 88db.

Norge MD 75 - 8750 Rs 2 Way, 1 driver 5 x 1 aluminium dome tweeters, 80 W RMS, 4 ohm, 40Hz 23KHz, 90 db.
Ref : http://www.wavecor.com/Norge-75_2.pdf

Warfedale 9.1 11000 Rs 5 bass driver, 100 W RMS, 6 ohm, 86 db, 50 Hz 24 KHz.

Warfedale 9.2 15000 Rs 6.5 bass driver, 100 W RMS, 6 ohm, 86 db, 45 Hz 24 KHz.

Please refer Norge Audio for norge product specifications and Designer Audio - Products for Warfedale speaker specifications.

Now as mentioned earlier, my constraints would be,
1: Looking for a budget setup around 20 K, However can stretch little in case of real value for some extra bucks.

2: I will be using it 80% for Audio and 20% for watching movies.

3: I listen to almost everything which I like at times, right from Indian Classical(mostly Santoor and Tabla), Gazals and soft vocals to fast hindi movies tracks, Panjabi, dance numbers, Pop. So basically a setup should respond well in all the ranges(low mid -high), and posses tight and enough bass to fill a living room.

4: Currently not planning to go for a sub-woofer, in future may add it. How much a budget sub-woofer would cost ?

5: Would also like to play radio/FM etc.

Now keeping all these points in mind, what would be the best bet for me.

So far I am planning to pair up norge 2060 with either Warfedale 9.2 Or Norge MD Symphony Book Shelf. What says ?
Or pairing up, norge 2060 with Norge MD 75, with addition of a sub-woofer(not sure about its cost).

I really need your comment/suggestions on it guys, any suggestion or response would be highly appreciated. Actually I am kinda confused with all the option available, and most of them I havent auditioned(except norge 1000 + Warfedale 9.1). Though this weekend, I am planning to audition all the possible combinations, mentioned above.

Please help me to figure out, best possible combo in my budget.

PS: Also can some body explain the significance of Speaker Driver size, sensitivity(db), impedance(ohm) values. And how to match amps power handling(RMS) with speakers?

Dear Rajat,

just to add .. u can audition a norge in bandra with different speakers and amplifiers at the audio people.. to get a perspective...

i found the norge to be sharper and brighter.. but its tremendous value for money for that price...

also if u can stretch ur budget would recommend Tannoy F1s.. more importantly please ensure that u have a pre -out for sub connection...
sub woofer will start from Rs.15000/- depending on the output and the brand..

happy auditioning

regards

Neetant

I just want to remind you that a 50K investment in a great amp+speaker will lie waste if you don't spend on a good CDP as well. An oppo 980/983 is the best VFM if you are concerned about spending so much on "only a cdp" .

If not now at least a few months down the line ....

Cheers

Hello Rajat,
what will be your source. Are you planning to carry your source to do the audition. Otherwise it might be difficult for you to take a decision.
Thnaks.

Thanks for replies folks. :)

@unleash_me, Sure I would give them a try.

@Asit, I would definitely give a try for CA S20/30 auditions.

@neetant, Actually I am based in Bangalore :) . As you mentioned about "pre-out for sub connection". I guess you are talking about pre-out from source here, Can't they be from AMP itself ? Or I will have to go for a AVR?

@gobble, Yes you are right, in near future I am planning to buy a OPPO CDP.

@mahiruha, I would be using my Sanyo CDP as source. However not planning to take it while audition.

Friends, keep updating me with your thoughts. This would help to spend my hard earned money on a right direction.

Last edited:
Hi Rajat,
My personal experience here...
Norge 2060 with Wharfedale 9.2 sounded good at moderate volumes (no difference noticed compared to Norge 1000 at moderate volume).

Being a "laid-back" speaker 9.2 is little feeble in male vocals, otherwise its blend from 40Hz to 20KHz spectrum is unmatched by any other BS within 15k IMHO.

I would strongly recommend 9.2 above 9.1 considering the good bass extension of 9.2 (for stereo music you wouldn't feel need for subwoofer... at moderate volume 9.2 can go down to 40Hz easily without distortion)

No experience with Norge bookshelves, however I have read in this forum that they go well with Norge amps. (Millenium BS were out of stock when I inquired.)

If you have chance to audition 9.2 and Norge BS, definitely do so and then decide. Without audition opportunity, you may go ahead with Norge 2060 w Wharfe 9.2... you won't regret it, considering their cost (7.6+15 k).

Regards,

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back