need your advise

merla1

hi everyone ,
I have a budget of rs.1 lakh for Speakers(5.1) and Amp.My dealer advised me to go in for Focal Audio's Sib 5.1 speakers( Rs.49000) paired with Onkyo sv 605.(rs 38000).
What i would like to know is
1)can i get a better setup for rs 100000?
2)Is the amount i am being charged reasonable?
My room is 14*15,and this system will mainly be used to listen to country music .

If your main application is music, why are you buying an AV receiver instead of a stereo integrated amplifier? Will you be listening to multichannel music (DVD/SACD/DVD-A)? If not you can do far better for 100,000 with a stereo setup. For example, Marantz 7001 amp + Monitor Audio RS6 speakers + Marantz 6002 CDP (7001 if you add another 10k to your budget)?

Thanks a lot guys
where can i get the Marantz 7001 and the Monitor rs6 speakers in Hyd or Chennai.Do i need to get a Sub separately?If i decide to use it for AV can i add center and sat later.I really dont have any idea about any of this stuff so guys please indulge me even if my questions are stupid.
p.s what do they retail for?

Thanks a lot guys
where can i get the Marantz 7001 and the Monitor rs6 speakers in Hyd or Chennai.Do i need to get a Sub separately?If i decide to use it for AV can i add center and sat later.I really dont have any idea about any of this stuff so guys please indulge me even if my questions are stupid.
p.s what do they retail for?

For music you need a STEREO amp, which has two channels of outputs. For movies you need a Multichannel amp (also called an AVR) which has multiple channels of outputs (5/6/7 or more).

For stereo, you generally don't need a sub. For movies you can't do without a sub.

If you buy an AVR, you can use it for playing music, but the output quality will not be very good.

If you buy a stereo amp, you can only connect two speakers to it. If you connect more than two speakers to a stereo amp, it will not serve as a true movie amp.

In a nutshell. If you are passionate about music and have a good pair of ears, then just buy a stereo amp for the time being. Buy a home theater later when funds allow.

If you just want a decent setup that can play music as well as is good for movies, visit any store that has Harman Kardon / Onkyo HT packages. In Hyderabad I saw these amps at a mall at Somjiguda Circle. TMC has many Onkyo HT packages and has good demo room also. There are many packages which are well under your budget and offer decent sound quality.

If i increase my budget can i get a setup which delivers on both movies and music.I can compromise on the quality of effects for movies but not for my music.please suggest a combo of speakers and amp which will deliver what i want .The budget i mentioned is flexible.
Thanks for the trouble u have taken so far

If i increase my budget can i get a setup which delivers on both movies and music.I can compromise on the quality of effects for movies but not for my music.please suggest a combo of speakers and amp which will deliver what i want .The budget i mentioned is flexible.

You should take a listen to HT systems from HK and Onkyo before exploring further. There are many and the ones in the excess of 60000, have a decent performance. Carry a few CDs that you listen to. Ask them to demo you the system and once they are done, ask them to play your CDs. Let your ears be the judge.

Perhaps you should now take the first step of auditioning the speakers. The Marantz and MA RS6 were just an example and you should not restrict yourself to a particular brand. Take a bunch of CDs you know well, spanning the genres you are most likely to listen to, and get an idea of the sound of different speakers until you find one that you like.

You have choices such as:
Totem Sttaf (or Rainmaker bookshelf)
Dynaudio Audience 62
KEF iQ7
Polk Audio RTI12
Quad 21/22L2
PSB Image T55
and of course...
Monitor Audio RS6 (or GS10 bookshelf)

I think you may like the Totems or Quads for your kind of music. I'm not sure who the dealers would be in Hyderabad but perhaps fellow members can help.

The PSB and MA speakers are a safe bet and sure to please for both music and movies.

Once you have chosen your speakers you can then decide if you want to drive them with a stereo amp or a multichannel AV receiver. As discussed here, an AV receiver is a compromise but the higher up you go, slightly less so. Only upon hearing your speakers driven by different amplification sources can you see for yourself if the quality offered is acceptable.

If you choose an AV Receiver, start out with the main (stereo) speakers and then add the others later on.

Last edited:
Thank guys i will get back to you after auditioning a few of the brands you have mentioned.

In that case, do check out the Arcam (AVR350) range followed by Cambridge Audio (640R & 540R v3) and Marantz(SR7002 or may be Marantz America | SR8001 THX Select2 Surround Receiver).

If you are willing to go hi-end then you can have a look at Lexicon.

Seconded that, but CA640R better than SR7001? I've not personally heard any of the CA, but AVR350/SR7001 are very good

No its not. Personally I think the Marantz is better. I was mentioning that particular CA as an example from the CA range of AVRs. I believe CAs are also very musical in nature and can be considered as a good all-in-one solution if you are on a budget and/or looking for convenience.

CA are way over rated. I would prefer an Yamaha over CA any day. They both have similar sonic signature. Just my personal opinion.

CA are way over rated. I would prefer an Yamaha over CA any day. They both have similar sonic signature. Just my personal opinion.

Have been reading the entire thread with interest without actually contributing.

My views differ here. I actually preferred (read bought) the CA even over Marantz. I am pairing them with Quad 11L.

- Prasad.

Have been reading the entire thread with interest without actually contributing.

My views differ here. I actually preferred (read bought) the CA even over Marantz. I am pairing them with Quad 11L.

- Prasad.

Glad to have your view. It actually helps to have more angles.

Well CA has its own followers. The sheer fact you bought them over Marantz says you liked them a lot. And thats perfectly alright.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back