network storage server

grunthos

After going through various permutation combinations, I am coming around to the view that a network storage server as a backend for all my media needs is the way to go. I plan to assemble a 1TB storage system with empty drive bays for more storage as I need. The eTrayz is a readymade option I know, but I just like having the flexibility of a PC

But I have a few doubts which I hope some of you can help me with

1. Is it feasible to run such a storage server on Windows 7 - or do I need to get hardcore OS like Windows Home Server/FreeNAS ? Windows is a known entity, while there is going to be a learning curve for FreeNAS

2. Is it feasible to run such a storage server with just RDP (remote desktop) i.e. without a monitor of its own ?

3. Do I need to power it with a powerful CPU/mobo combo or a cheap AMD/Gigabyte combo will do ? Logic says I dont need anything powerful - since I do not forsee if ever doing anything other than file serving and torrenting

4. In hardware terms, would it need any special cooling etc ? Since it will be pretty much running 24x7

Any help on these topics would be greatly appreciated.
I have to mainly stream/transfer 700 MB DivX files and the occasional 720p files. I have a 802.11 g network at home and will be playing media on my laptop and a planned xtreamer

I am completely new to this topic and would love to learn, will follow this thread with interest.

A newbie question:

I presume the 'eTrayz' operates in Raid mode ?

In such multiple HDD bays, what happens if there is a power supply failure and the Voltage shoots up, before the PSU dies ? Will it similtanously kill all the HDD in the bay ?

I lost a Desktop PC 2 years ago, when the PSU, in its dying moments put out a huge surge and killed the CPU and even left burn marks on the motherboard...

In such multiple HDD bays, what happens if there is a power supply failure and the Voltage shoots up, before the PSU dies ? Will it similtanously kill all the HDD in the bay ?

I lost a Desktop PC 2 years ago, when the PSU, in its dying moments put out a huge surge and killed the CPU and even left burn marks on the motherboard...

Well if the supply is not reliable and you have been burnt before (literally) - then the safe thing would be take protection first - install spike guards and voltage stabilizers.

As far as I know, RAID arrays are to safeguard against natural death of hdds rather than killer power fluctuations

I use a ReadsyNas Duo, from Netgear, without a monitor, no problems. I planned to install a second HDD to back up my music, but on balance, since the risk of having a catastrophic failure was to lose all the data, have backed it up on a HDD in another system. I don't think RAID or mirroring is a magic solution to all problems-power supply, or anything of that nature can cause problems as well.

The NAS has a very small footprint and is silent.I have programmed it to start up at 6.30 and shut down at 11PM.

George

I use a ReadsyNas Duo, from Netgear, without a monitor, no problems. I planned to install a second HDD to back up my music, but on balance, since the risk of having a catastrophic failure was to lose all the data, have backed it up on a HDD in another system. I don't think RAID or mirroring is a magic solution to all problems-power supply, or anything of that nature can cause problems as well.

The NAS has a very small footprint and is silent.I have programmed it to start up at 6.30 and shut down at 11PM.

George

Thanks George
Could you give me specs of the Netgear ReadyNAS and the price ?

George

George
So you dont trust a UPS for the NAS or you dont run a UPS for the NAS or both?

Cheers

Well if the supply is not reliable and you have been burnt before (literally) - then the safe thing would be take protection first - install spike guards and voltage stabilizers.

As far as I know, RAID arrays are to safeguard against natural death of hdds rather than killer power fluctuations

Ah that explains it. The PSU is going to be ahead of a UPS so if it bombs the UPS will not save your hardware. A good reason to spend 3 to 4K on a quality PSU.

Regards

Gobble said:

The PSU is going to be ahead of a UPS so if it bombs the UPS will not save your hardware. A good reason to spend 3 to 4K on a quality PSU.

Very true, gobble.

Do stand alone raid servers provide the option to select / change the PSU ?

Can you please point me to some recommended stand alone Raid servers, (they must be available in India) and approx how much do they cost ?

Very true, gobble.

Do stand alone raid servers provide the option to select / change the PSU ?

Can you please point me to some recommended stand alone Raid servers, (they must be available in India) and approx how much do they cost ?

IndianEars

I'm not into ready made products as I can pretty much build/assemble/compile everything I want in computers. Almost all mid-budget motherboards come with RAID 1, 0, 5 and 1+0 controllers so simply purchasing some decent hardware and downloading a NAS OS like FreeNAS should get you up and running in no time. :)

Cheers

Is the risk of damage to hdd enough to keep the OS on the primary hdd separate from the data on a secondary hdd ? In other words, would it help to install the OS on a smaller 160 gb drive - and keep data on the second larger hdd? It would atleast keep me safe from OS issues, but then again, Windows has become much more stable nowadays.

I live in Bombay and the power supply is exemplary (thank god for that) and I havent faced or heard of power surges ever

I have an inverter, which has not been working reliably of date-(it is currently being repaired!) though I need to have a good UPS with adequate back up time which the NAS can recognise and power down when power gets critically low-they have a list of UPS units that the NAS can detect power levels. The standard smal APC Backups wont last very long, need something with a little more juice.

Grunthos:

I dont know current costs, you can easily get the info from the net, prices are falling though. There is a ReadyNas forum that has a lot of info, worth checking that out.

George

George
So you dont trust a UPS for the NAS or you dont run a UPS for the NAS or both?

Cheers

Back