New Cassette Decks

Audio Slave

New Cassette Decks

Are new Cassette Decks still being manufactured and sold? Has someone bought one recently? Which are the brands and models easily available?
What price range? Anyone who has the information / knowledge - please do share.

Where can I find the following two models of Yamaha Cassette Decks:

Yamaha KX 393
Yamaha KX 580

Thanks.

Yamaha do not have any tape deck listings on their website so my guess they are not selling any in India.

Pro fx stock Denon tape decks. Not sure about the model. It is not on their website but I have seen it at their store.

Onkyo and Pioneer sells tape decks too. Onkyo's are on order.

Last edited:
Whoever manufactures regular mass-produced cassette decks these days, tend to have the plasticy double cassette variety, a simple case of "stay away" for anyone with a decent ear for music listening. The best way forward would be;

1) if you have contacts in UK or USA (for 110 volt varieties), look out on ebay for a refurbished Nakamichi deck (they usually do this very well in these countries)

2) get a used Nakamichi in decent condition from an Indian user (perhaps from this forum)

When it comes to cassette decks, you just can't beat a Nak!!

and if someone has beaten it, you can't get it fixed easily :D

Too right! LOL! I'm rather skeptical of service and the availability of genuine spares in India, especially for what used to be a premium brand like Nak. :D

That's why I'd rather buy a new Pioneer, Denon or Onkyo single-well deck - if these are indeed available and, would dearly love to know at what cost.

Last edited:
I could not find anything so I went ahead buying Car stereo Cassette player and using its pre-out in the system. I can't tell the difference with prof hi fi gears. I have few (~100-120) old cassettes and not going to buy anything more. These few cassettes have recording of my old people in family who are no more and what they loved to collect.

When it comes to cassette decks, you just can't beat a Nak!!
+1

I went ahead buying Car stereo Cassette player and using its pre-out in the system. I can't tell the difference with prof hi fi gears.

not a bad move. what cassette player you using??

I have few (~100-120) old cassettes and not going to buy anything more. These few cassettes have recording of my old people in family who are no more and what they loved to collect.
sentimental value. holding onto history- personal or otherwise isn t something our countrymen are exactly famous for. keep it up.

I wouldn't buy from him. He is just your average dealer with very poor customer satisfaction outlook.

I have interacted with the person (names Deepak) a couple of times. He buys the equipment, makes them look neat and puts it for sale. Mr Deepak has no idea regarding the actual condition of the equipment he is selling. For him if the cassette deck spools are spinning it is in good condition irrespective of the condition of the head, belts or pinch rollers. He has categorically told me that he does not service or get the equipment serviced before putting up for sale.
This is my opinion. YMMV

kbhuvi,
Bull's Eye.
Deepak sent me a photograph of Three Metal cassettes.Brand maxell.Cost ? Guess????

Rs.13000 for three sealed maxell metal cassettes.

kbhuvi,
Bull's Eye.
Deepak sent me a photograph of Three Metal cassettes.Brand maxell.Cost ? Guess????

Rs.13000 for three sealed maxell metal cassettes.

That is why i find ebay and similiar sites price friendly as well as better services not to mention better quality goods.

But finding a decent cassette deck is really hard..and eBay the tax importing s huge.is there any place were we can get a decent cassette deck

I wouldn't buy from him. He is just your average dealer with very poor customer satisfaction outlook.

I have interacted with the person (names Deepak) a couple of times. He buys the equipment, makes them look neat and puts it for sale. Mr Deepak has no idea regarding the actual condition of the equipment he is selling. For him if the cassette deck spools are spinning it is in good condition irrespective of the condition of the head, belts or pinch rollers. He has categorically told me that he does not service or get the equipment serviced before putting up for sale.
This is my opinion. YMMV

+1. I would not vouch for this reseller based in Pune. I have heard about him from close friends who have had unforgettable experiences. He is infamous for picking up used damaged stuff from kabadiwallas, tinkering with them and passing them off as "brand new well maintained pristine condition" items. His website has fancy photos of gear but dealing with him is a different ball game! Highly not recommended.

Last edited:
If you have interest in older equipment, it is always important to be patient and stay on the look out.

Buying stuff from olx or ebay ideally should be avoided. Its good to socialize requirements with friends with common interests. Ownership history is important. The most valuable gear purchased used, is gear that was owned from new, by the single owner. If you have someone abroad, especially in Germany, you'll have access to equipment that is usually in pristine condition (also 230 volt versions). Another factor is the pricing. If you want really good stuff, it often comes at a price.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back