New Chromecast 4K, better than expected

ankitbhargava

I moved from Fire TV 4k to Apple TV 4k and it has been wonderful. PrimeVideo and Netflix play in 4K and Atmos; To add it supports Apple Music as well. If you are into Apple ecosystem, would definitely recommend ATV4k
ATV 4k playing Atmos on Netflix? Looks like I need to update my device.

@ankitbhargava can you confirm something for me if it is not too much of a hassle?

When playing a local HDR file on CCWGTV on a non-hdr display, does it accurately tone map from HDR to SDR? I tried the same on my new FS4KMax and everything looks washed out. Tried with both Kodi and Jellyfin player and got the same result. Interestingly enough, this used to work perfectly on my old FS4K (non-Max) before.

There are also open tickets on Kodi's GitHub page, but i don't think it is a problem with the software. The issue lies somewhere at the driver/OS level for the stick.
I shall be able to check on that, need a hub to play local HDR file on CCWGTV. I had to order it, shall do it tonight.

Dwaipayan

@ankitbhargava can you confirm something for me if it is not too much of a hassle?

When playing a local HDR file on CCWGTV on a non-hdr display, does it accurately tone map from HDR to SDR? I tried the same on my new FS4KMax and everything looks washed out. Tried with both Kodi and Jellyfin player and got the same result. Interestingly enough, this used to work perfectly on my old FS4K (non-Max) before.

There are also open tickets on Kodi's GitHub page, but i don't think it is a problem with the software. The issue lies somewhere at the driver/OS level for the stick.
Just wanted to post an update on this issue w.r.t. tone mapping. There are two solutions to this as far as I could find out.

1. Using Kodi with Jellyfin addon, force transcoding on the addon configuration page. Also need to enable hardware acceleration and tone mapping on Jellyfin server. In this approach, tone mapping works well but on the other hand audio also gets transcoded, which is a big negative. Also requires significant processing power (GPU assisted) on the server end.

2. Using Jellyfin client with external player and install Vimu media player with the engine set to Vimu V2 + tunneling. This approach does proper tone mapping on the fire stick with no additional load to the server.

I must say I would never be able to figure out #2 by myself. The workaround was posted on the GitHub issue page by another person. The downside of this approach is that this player need to be side loaded to bypass the geo restrictions.

superczar

@ankitbhargava
Have you tested Hotstar ATMOS on the device yet?
Most of my content comes from NF and HS.
If this does HS atmos then this device is a no brainer for the cost.

As for your query on NF Atmos on ATV 4K, that support has been there since the launch days of even the older gen ATV 4k

revolty

Hello everyone,

I am facing a peculiar problem in Zee5 app through "Chromecast with Google TV". First time, the content in it runs in 4K and dolby 5.1 audio. But, when it is switched off and on; the content plays in 1080p and stereo audio. After, uninstalling and installing the app; it plays in 4k and 5.1.
But, same circus; whenever it is switched off and on. Everytime, I have to uninstall and install the App for watching my content. I could not get any proper response from Zee5 team.
Is anyone else facing the same issue here? Any guidance would be helpful.

gopichandpai

Exact same issue on Nvidia Shield Pro too. It works when it is uninstalled and installed again. But stops working later. It is working fine on Fire Stick 4k.

revolty

Exact same issue on Nvidia Shield Pro too. It works when it is uninstalled and installed again. But stops working later. It is working fine on Fire Stick 4k.
Ok.
I have shield 2017 version. In it, Zee5 4K content didn't play in Dolby 5.1 audio. Only 1080p content played in Dolby 5.1. Let's hope there is some permanent solution for this.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.