New Chromecast 4K, better than expected

ankitbhargava

Got my hands on the new Chromecast 4K today, ordered from Flipkart 2 days back and it arrived this afternoon.

I am opening this thread for posting my own impressions and for the subsequent owners

I decided to quickly test it with my go to scenes on OTT platforms, the setup was simply breeze.

Asked me to open the "Google Home App" and scan the QR code. Bingo, in couple of minutes it was setup using Phone. Passwords to the OTT platforms were taken from my connected Google ID so I wasn't required to go through the logins.
Lovely, smooth, intuitive Remote, very clean UI, default settings did not need any change, it even synced to my voice profile/data I have in my phone for voice searches and commands.

Netflix came pre-installed, I quickly jumped to some of my favourite scenes which I know by heart now.
Surprise, surprise ... I have always relied upon my Xbox One S for streaming OTT content and I wasn't satisfied for this using Firestick 4K, Apple TV and Shield Pro.
This guy gave tough competition to Xbox in terms of OTT streaming.

Dialogues were cleaner and sufficiently louder without running center channel hot, bass is tighter, Atmos effects are even better.
Picture quality, I find no difference so far.

Most of Indian content Apps are available of course, I still need to test Atmos on Prime Video. UHD is working on Prime Video though.
As I said, Netflix streams Atmos and 4K

Overall this is definitely a worth and promising streaming player, I will try Plex also soon
Google has delighted me ones again with the quality product.

I will post comparison from A/B testing of specific scenes soon. Please feel free to chime in if you also bought Chromecast 4K

Some pictures to raise your interest

WhatsApp Image 2022-07-21 at 7.54.56 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-07-21 at 7.54.56 PM (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-07-21 at 10.59.10 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-07-21 at 10.59.09 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-07-21 at 10.59.09 PM (2).jpeg

Hello,

Thanks for this detailed write-up. I was also waiting for the feedback on chromecast 4K. Can you please check if Prime video supports Atmos and Zee5, Hotstar support 5.1 dolby audio.
I faced this peculiar issue with Zee5 in Shield TV. The contents in 4K and 5.1 audio didn't play in dolby audio; but 1080p content did. But, the same 4K contents with dolby 5.1 audio played in dolby sound in MiBox 4K. Therefore, I am looking for a OTT streaming device for playing all the apps without any glitches, in best audio and video quality.
Also, you cleared my doubt by mentioning that chromecast gives tough competition to Xbox on audio front. Will be looking forward to your update.

Hello,

Thanks for this detailed write-up. I was also waiting for the feedback on chromecast 4K. Can you please check if Prime video supports Atmos and Zee5, Hotstar support 5.1 dolby audio.
I faced this peculiar issue with Zee5 in Shield TV. The contents in 4K and 5.1 audio didn't play in dolby audio; but 1080p content did. But, the same 4K contents with dolby 5.1 audio played in dolby sound in MiBox 4K. Therefore, I am looking for a OTT streaming device for playing all the apps without any glitches, in best audio and video quality.
Also, you cleared my doubt by mentioning that chromecast gives tough competition to Xbox on audio front. Will be looking forward to your update.
I will definitely check this on other apps, for now I can confirm Prime Video plays in UHD and Dolby Atmos.
I checked the title "Gulaab Sitabo".

You mean Shield doesn't upscale 5.1 audio to Atmos?

Thanks for sharing your impressions! I'm kind of stuck between Fire TV and Apple TV but never gave this a serious thought.

Now that so you've shared your experience, will definitely add this to my list.

Any negatives that you've noticed so far?

I will definitely check this on other apps, for now I can confirm Prime Video plays in UHD and Dolby Atmos.
I checked the title "Gulaab Sitabo".

You mean Shield doesn't upscale 5.1 audio to Atmos?
Thanks. My Shield is 2017 version. It doesn't play atmos in Netflix and doesn't play 5.1 audio for 4K videos in Zee5. Therefore, I was thinking of buying firestick.
Now, after reading your write-up; will consider "Chromecast".

Hi,

Is the zee app in chromecast have serials chapters/ordered by date/month etc?

Only my sony android tv has it this way.. LG native app and apple tv has the serials just dumped.. Reaching a 3 year old episode is a chore.

Thanks,

Thanks. My Shield is 2017 version. It doesn't play atmos in Netflix and doesn't play 5.1 audio for 4K videos in Zee5. Therefore, I was thinking of buying firestick.
Now, after reading your write-up; will consider "Chromecast".
Chromecast is way better than Firestick for sure

Hi,

Is the zee app in chromecast have serials chapters/ordered by date/month etc?

Only my sony android tv has it this way.. LG native app and apple tv has the serials just dumped.. Reaching a 3 year old episode is a chore.

Thanks,
Let me check on that, I will confirm

I don't think there will be difference in sound clarity(bass response or dialogue clarity)between firestick, apple tv and this.it is totally dependent on how is it mastered encoded.
Yes, there shouldn't be any difference in sound quality if they pass through the audio signal. The difference comes when they have to decode it. AFAIK ATV 4K doesn't pass through the audio signal.

Noob question:

I had one of the earlier Chromecasts (2nd gen or something), the drawback with that was the lack of remote, you needed a phone to start watching anything, and then you cast it on screen. With the latest chromecasts, has that changed? Can the chromecast be used independent of your phone/ tablet - kind of like any other android streaming/ apple TV / firestick device?

I don't think there will be difference in sound clarity(bass response or dialogue clarity)between firestick, apple tv and this.it is totally dependent on how is it mastered encoded.
Yes, there shouldn't be any difference in sound quality if they pass through the audio signal. The difference comes when they have to decode it. AFAIK ATV 4K doesn't pass through the audio signal.
Technically yes, there shouldn't be any difference. Practically I am not sure how it's making difference but I am very certain after doing A/B testing of some scenes which I have watched over and over again... the LFE does sound tighter in Chromecast over Xbox.

Noob question:

I had one of the earlier Chromecasts (2nd gen or something), the drawback with that was the lack of remote, you needed a phone to start watching anything, and then you cast it on screen. With the latest chromecasts, has that changed? Can the chromecast be used independent of your phone/ tablet - kind of like any other android streaming/ apple TV / firestick device?
It comes with really handy remote, smooth and easy to use.

Noob question:

The earlier Chromecast and this one can’t be compared. This one is highly evolved with own remote and slick interface. It also aggregates shows across platforms and shows them as per your taste or past preferences.

Thanks for sharing your impressions! I'm kind of stuck between Fire TV and Apple TV but never gave this a serious thought.

Now that so you've shared your experience, will definitely add this to my list.

Any negatives that you've noticed so far?
I always found Apple TV and nvidia overpriced for what they do. If streaming is your objective / plex this does it in 1/3 the cost.

@ankitbhargava Congratulations on your new gadget!
How much ads are you getting in Chromecast?
I have ordered firetv 4k max before seeing this post and now I am thinking to consider Chromecast over it, but being it Google product bit sceptical about privacy and ads. Please share your thoughts if possible.
Also, do you know does it support Bluetooth keyboard as I already ordered for the firetv stick?

Thanks

Last edited:
I always found Apple TV and nvidia overpriced for what they do. If streaming is your objective / plex this does it in 1/3 the cost.
Yes, for some one who's looking for a separate player for local media and a streamer, Shield/ATV seem overpriced. I'm now more inclined towards CCWGTV

if there is any problem with Xbox audio output, you can check it with your umik-1.
I doubt there is a problem with output of Xbox, somehow the passthrough also sounds different in different devices. So far Xbob has been the best OTT streamer for me.

@ankitbhargava Congratulations on your new gadget!
How much ads are you getting in Chromecast?
I have ordered firetv 4k max before seeing this post and now I am thinking to consider Chromecast over it, but being it Google product bit sceptical about privacy and ads. Please share your thoughts if possible.
Also, do you know does it support Bluetooth keyboard as I already ordered for the firetv stick?

Thanks
Here you go

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back