Shout out to Xbox Users // Netflix not streaming 4K anymore?

ankitbhargava

While watching a 4K Movie on Netflix today, I doubted that resolution doesn't seem to be 4K at all.
I quickly checked the streaming details and realised that it was streaming at 3Mbps approx and 1080 resolution.

I checked few other 4K Titles and guess what, none of them went more than 6 Mbps streaming and 1080. I checked Speed on "Fast.com" using Netflix App, the speed was 93 Mbps.

Chat with Netflix support did not help, they blamed Xbox and this could be true.

I very much remember checking the streaming quality in March and it sued to go upto 15.25 Mbps with 4K/UHD
Each 90 minutes Movie would consume 10-12 GB while now a days its no more than 2-3 GB

Could anyone using Xbox to stream from Netflix please confirm that its able to stream to 4K or not?

While watching a 4K Movie on Netflix today, I doubted that resolution doesn't seem to be 4K at all.
I quickly checked the streaming details and realised that it was streaming at 3Mbps approx and 1080 resolution.

I checked few other 4K Titles and guess what, none of them went more than 6 Mbps streaming and 1080. I checked Speed on "Fast.com" using Netflix App, the speed was 93 Mbps.

Chat with Netflix support did not help, they blamed Xbox and this could be true.

I very much remember checking the streaming quality in March and it sued to go upto 15.25 Mbps with 4K/UHD
Each 90 minutes Movie would consume 10-12 GB while now a days its no more than 2-3 GB

Could anyone using Xbox to stream from Netflix please confirm that its able to stream to 4K or not?
Connection speed via Netflix - 161.74

Played the "Grey Man" - 4k HDR. Sony shows a resolution of 3840 x 2160p. Netflix shows 11.10 Mbps/2160.

"Nobody" 4k shows 6.94 Mbps/2160. Video quality not very good.

"Wrath of Man" 15.71 Mbps 2160

No issues with picture quality too. Looks like 4k HDR / 4k.

Xbox - S

Last edited:
I have not been using Xbox for streaming, however, I just checked to verify after seeing this message. To confirm mine looks fine. I am using a series S too.

Idiotic suggestions - but, check if your device has all the updates. Could be a bug introduced by an update or will be removed by one.
Also do try and boot the entire network once, in case.

Last edited:

Played the "Grey Man" - 4k HDR. Sony shows a resolution of 3840 x 2160p. Netflix shows 11.10 Mbps/2160.

"Nobody" 4k shows 6.94 Mbps/2160

Xbox - S
Thanks for confirming, I tried Netflix using My spare Xbox One S as well and same result :(

Video quality diagnostics from Xbox shows 4K compatibility too for rest of setup (just to be sure there is no problem there).

I am infact connected via LAN to take care of network issues

Uninstalled and installed Netflix App, did not change anything

Thanks for confirming, I tried Netflix using My spare Xbox One S as well and same result :(

Video quality diagnostics from Xbox shows 4K compatibility too for rest of setup (just to be sure there is no problem there).

I am infact connected via LAN to take care of network issues

Uninstalled and installed Netflix App, did not change anything
Did you try the same movies that I did ? Streaming quality of "Nobody" was not up to the mark even though it was showing 6.94 Mbps/2160.

"Nobody" 4k shows 6.94 Mbps/2160. Video quality not very good.

"Wrath of Man" 15.71 Mbps 2160

Xbox - S
I have not been using Xbox for streaming, however, I just checked to verify after seeing this message. However just to confirm mine looks fine. I am using a series S too.

Idiotic suggestions - but, check if your device has all the updates. Could be a bug introduced by an update or will be removed by one.
I use Jio internet, the Jio router restricted Netflix app speed probably. I hooked up Xbox to my other router and it's streaming perfectly now. Though the highest speed is capped to 11.10 Mbps which was earlier 15.25 Mbps.

Did you try the same movies that I did ? Streaming quality of "Nobody" was not up to the mark even though it was showing 6.94 Mbps/2160.
No body image quality on apple tv was also horrible.it was more granular and didnot look like even 1080 on Epson 9400 with bright cinema mode.
Then I had to change to cinema mode it was little better but not upto the mark .
I switched over to apple tv as picture quality on nvidia was also not so good .but hot star Amazon they were looking good
For the past few weeks I'm not happy with Netflix pic quality on any of the streamers.
Same here also I use jio internet

No body image quality on apple tv was also horrible.it was more granular and didnot look like even 1080 on Epson 9400 with bright cinema mode.
Then I had to change to cinema mode it was little better but not upto the mark .
I switched over to apple tv as picture quality on nvidia was also not so good .but hot star Amazon they were looking good
For the past few weeks I'm not happy with Netflix pic quality on any of the streamers.
Same here also I use jio internet
Try other router, I am 100 percent sure that Jio Riuter has put some restrictions

Try other router, I am 100 percent sure that Jio Riuter has put some restrictions
My connection is jio .from jio router i have lan cable running to my ht.tgere another tp link router is connected to the lan cable.
All my ht stuff are connected by wire to tp link router .

I felt it was ISP's shenanigan's just by looking at the title of the thread. When it comes to services like these, trust what Sly said in Lock Up, 'DTA'.
Don't trust anybody!

Sorry guys, opening this up again
On my main setup yesterday morning when I changed the connection of Xbox Series X to other router I could see the 4K streaming in stats. I just tried 2-3 titles and stopped. Thats when I posted update here.

Later in night, back to square!
Even with the other router, the resolution is not going above 1080p
Speed reaches 7Mbps max in some titles otherwise it's mostly 2-3Mbps

Alternatively doubting my Xbox Series X, I tried Xbox One S also in this main setup but it's the same. It can't stream 4k. (this One S is generally in my kids Room hooked to TV). Surprsingly on TV, it's streaming 4K

Here are pictures from Projector screen to show the streaming stats, Xbox Series X and Netflix App version, Xbox"s diagnostics confirming the 4k settings are all ok etc

20230706_090427.jpg

20230706_091046.jpg

20230706_091156.jpg

20230706_085552.jpg

And here is the capture from TV (using Xbox One S which I tried in main setup also), able to stream 4k on TV

20230706_090643.jpg

This has gone complicated :(

Any help would be appreciated

Netflix support is useless, just full of robotic canned responses.

I have not been using Xbox for streaming, however, I just checked to verify after seeing this message. To confirm mine looks fine. I am using a series S too.

Could you please post the Xbox and Netflix App version? I did reboot entire network but it did not help.

I felt it was ISP's shenanigan's just by looking at the title of the thread. When it comes to services like these, trust what Sly said in Lock Up, 'DTA'.
Don't trust anybody!
Could it still be ISP? Just shared an update in last post

My connection is jio .from jio router i have lan cable running to my ht.tgere another tp link router is connected to the lan cable.
All my ht stuff are connected by wire to tp link router .
Are you able to check the streaming stats?

Jio has all sorts of weird traffic shenanigans going all the time. It would be better if you switch ISPs.

99.99% all your issues are related to Jio.

Another update (and am sorry to frequently report the development)

To understand real problem, I hooked both Xbox Series X and One S to the TV in kids room. Both connected to same "non Jio Router".

Kids TV
Series X - did not stream 4k
One S - streaming 4k smoothly

Main setup
Then I shifted One S to the main Setup and connected in to "non Jio router"

Next Test, connected One S in main setup to "Jio Router" as of NOW

10 minutes Later
Main Setup
One S - stopped streaming 4k and is back to 1080p

Now with this testing, it's confusing me if it's the Xbox Series X or the network :(

Last edited:
Now with this testing, it's confusing me if it's the Xbox Series X or the network :(
It shouldn't be the router or xbox. Most likely it is the ISP's ability to provide you bandwidth consistently. Since all your complaints is regarding netflix, use fast.com to do a speedtest with netflix servers. fast.com is netflix's tool to test the internet speed. Test the speed multiple times to check how consistent the speeds are.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back