New Chromecast 4K, better than expected

I doubt there is a problem with output of Xbox, somehow the passthrough also sounds different in different devices. So far Xbob has been the best OTT streamer for me.

Here you go
How much ads you get in Chromecast?
Any option to turn off personal recommendations as they use our watch history to do it.

How much ads you get in Chromecast?
Any option to turn off personal recommendations as they use our watch history to do it.
So far haven't come across any ads, couldn't find any options to not share watch history so far. But you can use incognito mode to watch content you dont want to have record for.

Thanks. My Shield is 2017 version. It doesn't play atmos in Netflix and doesn't play 5.1 audio for 4K videos in Zee5. Therefore, I was thinking of buying firestick.
Now, after reading your write-up; will consider "Chromecast".
Zee5 plays in 4k and 5.1

Hi,

Is the zee app in chromecast have serials chapters/ordered by date/month etc?

Only my sony android tv has it this way.. LG native app and apple tv has the serials just dumped.. Reaching a 3 year old episode is a chore.

Thanks,
I can only see the Seasons and Episodes lined up properly. No dates mentioned

Firetv 4k max sounds better than 4k regular. Interesting to see if chromecast 4k is even better
Congratulations .

The earlier Chromecast and this one can’t be compared. This one is highly evolved with own remote and slick interface. It also aggregates shows across platforms and shows them as per your taste or past preferences.
Great - this addresses a big concern. So now this sounds similar to the mi box 4K - but is from Google and is from this year, so should have better specs than the 2 year old Mi box 4k.

How would one compare the hardware/ features of the Mi box 4K (3.7K today) vs. the Chromecast 4k (6.4K today)? The Mi box (~2 year old) still works fine with all 4K content and does not seem to lag.

Great - this addresses a big concern. So now this sounds similar to the mi box 4K - but is from Google and is from this year, so should have better specs than the 2 year old Mi box 4k.

How would one compare the hardware/ features of the Mi box 4K (3.7K today) vs. the Chromecast 4k (6.4K today)? The Mi box (~2 year old) still works fine with all 4K content and does not seem to lag.
I can’t comment on mibox since I haven’t used it. But if it’s doing Dolby vision / atmos for you then why change ? Or if you don’t need Atmos / vision then the question is again is why spend ?

Thanks for checking. No, it doesn't need. May be not enabled for all countries by YouTube.
I had played the "The Batman" trailer from 4k HDR clips and trailers in Youtube in Nvidia Shield 2-3 months back. That time, it played in dolby 5.1 as mentioned in the youtube description. But, after software update; it stopped playing in dolby audio.
In a Youtube video, someone demoed the Chromecast and showed Youtube playing dolby audio.

Please check the link as mentioned above.

I had done A to B testing of the same scenes in Netflix/Prime Video/Zee5 between Mi Box 4K, Shield (2017) version and ATV 4K at my friend's place. This is my observation as given below:

(1) For OTT, ATV gave the best Audio and Video quality. The dialogues had that "cinematic weight" as we find in Cinema Halls. But, ATV doesn't play ripped files.
(2) Shield didn't play Zee5 content in dolby audio (which were 4K and 5.1) but played full HD content with dolby audio. Nor did it played Aha content in dolby audio. It didn't play netflix content in Atmos. For ripped content, Shield is amazing. It played DTS HD/True HD/ Atmos/DTS X without any glitch/stuttering in Kodi. Its audio was little thin compared to ATV.
(3) MiBox played even Zee5 and Aha content in dolby 5.1 audio smoothly. But, the picture quality was not good for Zee5 compared to Shield. Maybe, because Shield upscales the picture. It didn't play netflix content in Atmos. But, while playing DTS HD content in Kodi; there was clipping sound in the front speakers for any high decibel scenes like explosions, gunfights etc.

So, for playing movies in Zee5 app; I use MiBox. For rest, I use Nvidia Shield. Therefore, I was looking forward to a device (all in one) for playing Netflix atmos content, Zee5/Aha 4K content with dolby audio and cinematic dialogues.
Now, after reading @ankitbhargava writeup; I am looking forward to Chromecast.

I had done A to B testing of the same scenes in Netflix/Prime Video/Zee5 between Mi Box 4K, Shield (2017) version

(2) Shield didn't play Zee5 content in dolby audio (which were 4K and 5.1) but played full HD content with dolby audio. Nor did it played Aha content in dolby audio. It didn't play netflix content in Atmos. For ripped content, Shield is amazing. It played DTS HD/True HD/ Atmos/DTS X without any glitch/stuttering in Kodi. Its audio was little thin compared to ATV.

I guess it is due to 2017 version, I have a 2019 and it plays everything I throw at it.

I guess it is due to 2017 version, I have a 2019 and it plays everything I throw at it.
Oh....Thanks. I don't have any relative coming this time from abroad. So, I will have to get Chromecast this time (if it does the same thing for 1/3rd price). Rest for Brrips, I will continue using Shield (2017) version.
I am keenly following this thread for further updates.

Hi everyone,
Today, while surfing through Youtube; stumbled upon the below video.

It shows the settings for youtube 5.1 audio. Please check if this enables 5.1 audio in your Youtube.

Hi everyone,
Today, while surfing through Youtube; stumbled upon the below video.

It shows the settings for youtube 5.1 audio. Please check if this enables 5.1 audio in your Youtube.
I had tried settings, YouTube did not sow any option of enabling 5.1 sound

Damn, this is strange. I will try asking him. If possible, can you upload a video demo with all major OTT apps?
Have you selected sound settings as "Manual" or "Automatic"?
For general settings, its manual
If there is an option of manual/auto in YouTube app I will check.

I had tried settings, YouTube did not sow any option of enabling 5.1 sound
Damn, this is strange. I will try asking him. If possible, can you upload a video demo with all major OTT apps?
Have you selected sound settings as "Manual" or "Automatic"?
Tried exactly same clip shown in video "Peter"s revenge". There is no option in settings for 5.1 sound
PXL_20220726_143420149.jpg

@ankitbhargava @revolty you could try side loading SmartTubeNext https://github.com/yuliskov/SmartTubeNext#Installation

This blocks ads on youtube and has support for selection of available video resolutions and audio formats for a video. May be this will let you select 5.1 audio?

@revolty You could consider Fire Stick 4k Max too. This has AV1 codec which is mandated by google for future Google certified devices and support for WiFi 6 too. Surprisingly both AV1 codec and WiFi 6 are missing in Chromecast With Google TV

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back