New Customs Rates?

I have an image from another group which I will share once I have access to a computer

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KZE11WoakLNjxrda2

see pic for details

goods imported for personal use by post

in view of the above restriction the goods having value more than 2,000 (CIF) become restricted/prohibited for import and the same are liable for confiscation with applicable duty @ 74.144 % under CTH 9804

I got this from another group and am hoping this is not true.

ciao
gr

Hi , please help i am looking to import klipsch rp 160m it cost 439$ (30000 inr approx) with my brother from US. If he bring it in original packaging with bill will there be any custom duty charged, if how much?

Hi , please help i am looking to import klipsch rp 160m it cost 439$ (30000 inr approx) with my brother from US. If he bring it in original packaging with bill will there be any custom duty charged, if how much?
There is a limit to how much worth product you can bring back. If I remember correctly it is around 30k per person.
I brought back PS4 from Australia and got no customs duty charged at all. But I brought it back in my hand baggage (with original packaging but opened) if that makes any difference. Didn't face any customs specific checking. I don't know how they actually work, if there's a checking or you just get charged if you declare that you are carrying something back.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Edit: just googled and it shows the limit to be 50k INR.

Last edited:
Please look at the following link.

Duty free allowance for resident Indians is also the same. Rs50,000/- without the earlier restriction of the number of days you were out.

Check Customs duty free allowance in India for NRI, PIO. Foreigner

Extract:
Duty free allowances now for all international passengers such as any Indian resident, or a foreigner residing in India, or a tourist of Indian origin such as PIOs and OCI holders arriving in India from any international destination except from Nepal, Bhutan or Myanmar are now allowed the following duty free exemptions: Articles up to the value of fifty thousand rupees articles other than the following:
( like firearms, gold, alcohol etc )

Absolutely why not. The grey market will survive. It is unstoppable in fact this revised rate will discourage persons like me who import on official channel and to look out for a smuggler to bring it.

Let me explain how the so called Ritchie street or Used radio market works in Chennai.

Actually the famous Burma buzzar in Chennai was formed long ago when Refugees from Burma were fleeing in to India and reached to chennai. The burmees refugees were Tamilians and for their lively hood they started selling their belongings by putting them in platform in 1st line beach road and they found lot of demand was their for their items. So they wrote to the future refugees to bring in as much as possible especially electronics to sell here.

Once the war was over and the refugees have settled here they wanted a lively hood at that time the Tamilnadu Government constructed these Small shops and gave to them.

After refugees inflow stopped these guys didn't have any thing to sell so they started deliberately travelling and bringing stuffs to sell. Later they found Malaysia is more attractive to bring the electronics from, later in the advent of Singapore opening the free port they started to smuggle from there and sell. That is how chennai has become Hub for electronics especially Audio Video.

The group in Ritchie street 4 - 5 shop owners together have a big house rented in Singapore, and for 2 to 3 months all of them travel to Singapore in batches and buy all used and new electronics stuff and fill up the Room. Once they have collected on full 20 feet container of Load They ship everything in a container and the whole container will be accessed by an officer in setting with them and a nominal duty is levied.

Now you tell me where is the scope of Parallel market / smuggling get reduced what ever be the % of duty.

In the interest of curbing Parallel imports the duty is revised but ultimately it affects only people like us who import through proper channel for our own use and for the hobby.

PATHETIC.
Good explanation sir! Happy to Know the real story behind this area after 20 year life in Chennai!

Can anyone please share your latest experience on this topic purchasing above Rs.1lac value speakers from USA ? What’s the current percentage of customes duty?

The duty is 42.2%.

For importing goods greater than Rs. 1 lakh, you need to have an IEC code. Plus you will need GST registration.

Ritchie street is well known for their used Audio Equipment and not new ones. You will get right from SIM AUDIO Moon to Takai there. It all depends. Way back till 2012 the knowledge level with regard to brand and functionality of these shop owners was less in fact they were not knowing what is DAC. I can quote so many example of High end gears going in for dirt cheap price. For example Moon Integrated went in for 25K INR.

Current years the next generation of these shop keepers have taken over who are Google geeks. So when they are calling me from singapore itself with regard to availability of a gear the price they quote is almost like Audiogon price + carrying charges and Lumpsum custom charges. Some times it is still worth it to buy.

You must have good contact to know really the condition of the equipment before hand otherwise you might get a DOA.

Now a days even the Singapore sellers have become smart. All good stuff are bought by Indonesians and Philippinos as they don't bargain much and what ever you are seeing in these countries classifieds sites are all mostly from Singapore market. They sell the poor items to Indian traders. So all the more we have to be careful nowadays with Ritchie street Items.

Burma Buzzar is known for New Items and especially for TVs and Airconditioners and Low & Mid segment AV receivers and speakers. Certainly we have minimum 30% margin less compared to showroom price.

There are so many Showrooms in rest of Tamil Nadu, Karnataka and Andhra who buy TV in bulk from Burma Buzar and sell as Indian piece to nave customers, by hook or crook most of the TVs will comfortably cross 12 months warranty and these showroom guys make huge profits.

Any body wants any thing from these two places ping me I can get the right item for the right price or if anyone wants to know the antecedents of any item in Ritchie street lemme know.

Thanks

Bala
hi Bala, im from chennai , like to purchase ht items denon 1600h and q acoustics 3020i package from Audio video (electronics reality of cinema) from buma bazaar chennai (shop no.244b). id like to know if it is trustworthy to shop from them. thanks

hi Bala, im from chennai , like to purchase ht items denon 1600h and q acoustics 3020i package from Audio video (electronics reality of cinema) from buma bazaar chennai (shop no.244b). id like to know if it is trustworthy to shop from them. thanks
Please PM me the shop guys Name. I am more conversant with names than shop numbers.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back