What is the current ( Dec 2017) status regarding customs regulations on imports for personal use.

Fantastic

I saw an article on new regulations recently. If you bring in electronic goods with you while returning from abroad even after 3 days they are duty free if the cost is below Rs50,000/- . If its higher then the difference is taxed at 41% I think.
I also saw something on import of goods for 'personal use' worth Rs 50,000 and below " by post " being duty free. Is this just by India Post or by any courier also like from Amazon , etc. I imported some books and now even that has a duty component on it. Does anyone know what the real deal is with 'customs duties for personal imports' ? Thanks.

I always flounder through legalese ! So is the last line the answer ?
If for personal use the item has only 10% duty even if it comes via courier. However the value must be below 2,000/ ? Right ?
Thanks.

I ordered mi box.status from last 14 days is Record item customs information (Inb).Retention Reason : Retained by customs for unspecified reason

I don't know what to do and when i will get my mi box

I from chennai, is any one faced similar issue?

I have ordered couple of items ranging from Rs. 800 to 3000 and delivery is expected in next 10 to 15 days. I will update you the real-scenario.

great...keep us posted...end of the day we are spending hard earned money and don't want to be cheated

There seems some confusion...I understand earlier the limit was 5000 (less than $ 100) for personal use over the duty on CIF value was around 40% (or say 37%)......

Is there any changes with GST

I had ordered an electronic item with value declared from seller as 50 USD, still had to pay 41% custom duty.

I have received 4 items one $ 39 (3d glasses) others between $10 to 30 (cables)....I was lucky....no custom duty paid in any of these

So I believe if the item is non-electronic and not bulky....one can be lucky

Just to tell how our customs department works (since once i went to FPO for clearing a item and saw them how they do the sorting)....they put parcels on x-ray machine (like is airport check-in)...if they find it of higher value then only they check the declared value....

Paid 41.49% on CIF for Eitr.

Clearance took a little longer than my previous experiences. And customer support at DHL wanted me to provide a statement of end use and technical description of the item (this was a first in about 10 years of getting stuff for personal use, it is routine for equipment I import for work of course)

ciao
GR

I ordered 2 tubes from tube depot. They cost $30 and aramex charges 700 for shipping I think. I paid Rs.920 as duty so I guess it works out to 35%. It took them almost 2 weeks to clear the tubes.
Cheers,
Sid

It is about 42% now irrespective of the item HS code for all personal use items. These changes happened around April of last year. Before that it would be dependent on HS code. The average was around 30%.

I bought H96pro+ Android TV box from AliExpress last month. It came India post through Kolkata customs, luckily wasn't charged any duty.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back