New Customs Rates?

@LocutusEstBorg , Is there way to negate Aramex from handling the shipping given the issues raised by 'adder'. Does Fedex only handle 'Priority Shipping' ?

@LocutusEstBorg , Is there way to negate Aramex from handling the shipping given the issues raised by 'adder'. Does Fedex only handle 'Priority Shipping' ?

Standard shipping almost always uses Aramex. Expedited shipping is also usually Aramex, but sometimes FedEX. Priority shipping is usually DHL, but sometimes UPS.

For priority shipping it's better to buy from Amazon.co.jp since shipments reach in 2-3 days and it's much cheaper than Amazon.com's priority shipping.

bummer, all this while had in my cart :mad: now back to scrounging relatives/friends to carry electronics :indifferent14:

It is actually 41.5%. The indian dealer ripoff will be even more. Goodbye to ordering any electronics even from locals or international folks.

Only two taxes on imports - Custom Duty which cannot be recovered and IGST which is recoverable against IGST paid and CGST paid. Expecting it in 23% slab for luxury goods.

With most GST rates released yesterday, it looks like luxury goods will attract even 28% GST. Is good quality sound a luxury? Probably yes. What do you think.

I'm hoping it's just a precaution for a few days after GST. If it's excessive they'll refund the difference, but it's not like anyone will buy anything in the first place.

I believe the GST myths and Clouds will be cleared by 15th July.....only then we will get the proper applicable rates etc...i was checking a while back with a couple of known dealers in Mumbai and they told me to hold on for a week......

I understand the new rate for electronics is the total of:

Assessable Value * (35% BCD + 3% CEC)
+
(Assessable Value + (35% BCD + 3% CEC)) * 18% IGST
+
(Assessable Value + (35% BCD + 3% CEC)) * 15% GST Cess

which is a whopping 80.9465%.

Last edited:
No one will buy at 80% including dealers. They are killing the goose in total. Good luck in reduced customs collection targets. Bunch of morons passing the law with no understanding of how things work. Demand destruction is what is going on.
Dealers with an import license will only be charged the old BCD rate of 10% for most electronics, not 35% like personal imports. Since the GST is already paid as part of the import, there is no further increase in cost beyond the actual landed cost. They just add their margin and sell it to the consumer. So prices for dealer imported items actually reduce, unless the new GST slab for that product is higher than the old VAT + misc taxes. To dealers it makes no difference whether the product is imported or made in India.

Last edited:
Dealers with an import license will only be charged the old BCD rate of 10% for most electronics

Yes, that is correct. The applicable charges are:
Basic Customs Duty 10% plus GST 28% plus Education Cess 2% plus Higher Education Cess 1%, which works out to a total of 41% on the cif Import Bill. CIF is Cost Insurance Freight, which is the Invoice of the shipper plus freight insurance plus freight charges.

GST which the end user has to pay for these items now is also 28%.

Earlier it was 10% Basic Customs Duty plus 12.5% Countervailing Custom Duty plus 4% Additional Custom Duty plus 2% Education Cess plus 1% Higher Education Cess, which worked out to 29.5% on the CIF Import Bill.

The dealer was charging 15% VAT.

Yes, that is correct. The applicable charges are:
Basic Customs Duty 10% plus GST 28% plus Education Cess 2% plus Higher Education Cess 1%, which works out to a total of 41% on the cif Import Bill. CIF is Cost Insurance Freight, which is the Invoice of the shipper plus freight insurance plus freight charges.

GST which the end user has to pay for these items now is also 28%.

Earlier it was 10% Basic Customs Duty plus 12.5% Countervailing Custom Duty plus 4% Additional Custom Duty plus 2% Education Cess plus 1% Higher Education Cess, which worked out to 29.5% on the CIF Import Bill.

The dealer was charging 15% VAT.

So according to this calculation the increase in price from dealers for imported equipment should be 67%-44.5% = 22.5%.
Is that right?
Cheers,
Sid

So according to this calculation the increase in price from dealers for imported equipment should be 67%-44.5% = 22.5%.
Is that right?
Cheers,
Sid

I think the prices should go up by 24.5%. 11.5% increase on imports and 13% more on sales tax. A piece of equipment that had earlier cost 2 lahs incl. sales tax will now cost 2.49 lakhs. :sad:

I think the prices should go up by 24.5%. 11.5% increase on imports and 13% more on sales tax. A piece of equipment that had earlier cost 2 lahs incl. sales tax will now cost 2.49 lakhs. :sad:

Staggering increase IMO. Will definitely effect the higher end of the audio market which was already suffering from slow sales due to demonetization etc.
Cheers,
Sid

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back