New Customs Rates?

"Duty free allowance for bonafide baggage consisting of

Passenger Age

2. Articles other than those mentioned in Annex I, if these are carried on the person or in the accompanied baggage of the passenger.
a. if stay abroad for more than 3 days Rs. 45,000 Rs. 17,500
b. if stay abroad up to 3 days Rs. 17,500 Rs. 3,000 "

I found this on google. It appears this is still valid - but I am not sure, so while arriving from overseas one can still get items upto 45k duty free.
Cheers,
Sid

Everybody will loose. Or loose worse, as the industry, local dealers and governments never got it together to offer fair prices on many goods anyway.

Anyway, I thought that the current political trend was towards reducing barriers to trade; both imports and exports. Looks like I was sadly wrong.

Well said Thad!. Sometimes I have this starnge feeling that we are going back in time :sad:.....

Last edited:
Absolutely why not. The grey market will survive. It is unstoppable in fact this revised rate will discourage persons like me who import on official channel and to look out for a smuggler to bring it.

Let me explain how the so called Ritchie street or Used radio market works in Chennai.

Actually the famous Burma buzzar in Chennai was formed long ago when Refugees from Burma were fleeing in to India and reached to chennai. The burmees refugees were Tamilians and for their lively hood they started selling their belongings by putting them in platform in 1st line beach road and they found lot of demand was their for their items. So they wrote to the future refugees to bring in as much as possible especially electronics to sell here.

Once the war was over and the refugees have settled here they wanted a lively hood at that time the Tamilnadu Government constructed these Small shops and gave to them.

After refugees inflow stopped these guys didn't have any thing to sell so they started deliberately travelling and bringing stuffs to sell. Later they found Malaysia is more attractive to bring the electronics from, later in the advent of Singapore opening the free port they started to smuggle from there and sell. That is how chennai has become Hub for electronics especially Audio Video.

The group in Ritchie street 4 - 5 shop owners together have a big house rented in Singapore, and for 2 to 3 months all of them travel to Singapore in batches and buy all used and new electronics stuff and fill up the Room. Once they have collected on full 20 feet container of Load They ship everything in a container and the whole container will be accessed by an officer in setting with them and a nominal duty is levied.

Now you tell me where is the scope of Parallel market / smuggling get reduced what ever be the % of duty.

In the interest of curbing Parallel imports the duty is revised but ultimately it affects only people like us who import through proper channel for our own use and for the hobby.

PATHETIC.
Thats some good info there, I've already witnessed authorized dealers passing smuggled stuff with so called Indian warranty ; they have a tie up with service personnel wherein cheaper repairs are done free of cost, whereas a costlier repairs - consumer is made to pay saying its power fluctuations etc.

Grey market will survive as long as the whole chain is not targeted. Since the Indian distributors are benefitting as much as customers, who will complain against this practice?
"Duty free allowance for bonafide baggage consisting of

Passenger Age

2. Articles other than those mentioned in Annex I, if these are carried on the person or in the accompanied baggage of the passenger.
a. if stay abroad for more than 3 days Rs. 45,000 Rs. 17,500
b. if stay abroad up to 3 days Rs. 17,500 Rs. 3,000 "

I found this on google. It appears this is still valid - but I am not sure, so while arriving from overseas one can still get items upto 45k duty free.
Cheers,
Sid
This affects me more, thanks for clarifying.
Well said Thad!. Sometimes I have this starnge feeling that we are going back in time :sad:.....
I'm not averse to paying more to Indian retailers ; the problem is they don't even offer a proper audition for their products. Everything they get is on preorder, and no audition, no service or info if needed ; why would anyone pay them a percentage for placing and receiving a order on your behalf?

Indian dealers should invest in advertising and educating the masses that there are products much better than 'Bose' in SQ at a reasonable price. And offer decent audition facilities at the least .

If you compare two countries ; There's always a give and take as far as services and product prices are concerned ; some things are cheaper in India than elsewhere. For eg Americans pay 5 to 6 times on an average for the same medicine which is much cheaper in India. This shouldn't matter much.

Though unlikely, Let's hope this leads to more people buying through proper channels and makes Indian dealers invest in providing proper facilities for prospective buyer to make a informed choice. We may not know, many retailers might be importing stuff under personal use category and avoid paying the taxes, which led the government to curb such a practice. But again none other than corrupt officials seem to benefit from such laws.

Ritchie street is well known for their used Audio Equipment and not new ones. You will get right from SIM AUDIO Moon to Takai there. It all depends. Way back till 2012 the knowledge level with regard to brand and functionality of these shop owners was less in fact they were not knowing what is DAC. I can quote so many example of High end gears going in for dirt cheap price. For example Moon Integrated went in for 25K INR.

Current years the next generation of these shop keepers have taken over who are Google geeks. So when they are calling me from singapore itself with regard to availability of a gear the price they quote is almost like Audiogon price + carrying charges and Lumpsum custom charges. Some times it is still worth it to buy.

You must have good contact to know really the condition of the equipment before hand otherwise you might get a DOA.

Now a days even the Singapore sellers have become smart. All good stuff are bought by Indonesians and Philippinos as they don't bargain much and what ever you are seeing in these countries classifieds sites are all mostly from Singapore market. They sell the poor items to Indian traders. So all the more we have to be careful nowadays with Ritchie street Items.

Burma Buzzar is known for New Items and especially for TVs and Airconditioners and Low & Mid segment AV receivers and speakers. Certainly we have minimum 30% margin less compared to showroom price.

There are so many Showrooms in rest of Tamil Nadu, Karnataka and Andhra who buy TV in bulk from Burma Buzar and sell as Indian piece to nave customers, by hook or crook most of the TVs will comfortably cross 12 months warranty and these showroom guys make huge profits.

Any body wants any thing from these two places ping me I can get the right item for the right price or if anyone wants to know the antecedents of any item in Ritchie street lemme know.

Thanks

Bala

Would good decent bookshelf speakers can be got or only amplifiers or turn tables etc?

Would good decent bookshelf speakers can be got or only amplifiers or turn tables etc?

Any thing is possible its wait and watch game. It comes all of a sudden. Once you start regularly visiting shops then you build some warp out with them then they will keep you posted on Items on arrival. Still you need to exercise caution while dealing with them.

Is it true that any items worth below Rs. 50,000/- won't be charged by Customs ? I'm seeing this here too : Indian government removes custom duties on consumer electronics, including mobiles of upto Rs. 50,000 | India Live Today

But this is in August 2016, is it still applicable ? Any one who imported recently should know is it's true or not.

I recently received a pair of earbuds and a portable music player from china for which I paid about $90 in total but the seller declared it as $25 and still it was held by customs and received a charge of Rs 236!

So not sure what the criteria is.

Is it true that any items worth below Rs. 50,000/- won't be charged by Customs ? I'm seeing this here too : Indian government removes custom duties on consumer electronics, including mobiles of upto Rs. 50,000 | India Live Today

But this is in August 2016, is it still applicable ? Any one who imported recently should know is it's true or not.

I saw this just now, and traced the notification: https://www.mycii.in/Attachment/NotificationNo22E.pdf

It definitely seems true. Perhaps this can be used to dispute customs charges if any are applied.

EDIT: Uploading as image now in case the original link goes dead. Download the image (or the PDF in the above link) for future reference.

Notification No. 22/2015-2020 dated 12th August 2016 from the Ministry of Commerce and Industry (Dept. of Commerce).
wbccw0.jpg

Last edited:

I have imported a lot of items since Aug. I can emphatically state this whatever this new rule is it definitely not being applied. I used FedEx, DHL and shop and ship. All have charged customs duty varying between 15-40%. Also when you import through any of these channels there is no real way of disputing anything as they will clear the customs, pay and then collect from you.
And anyways after the latest ruling which I posted initially this rule is not valid. Above 2k is automatic 41%.
Cheers,
Sid

I have imported a lot of items since Aug. I can emphatically state this whatever this new rule is it definitely not being applied. I used FedEx, DHL and shop and ship. All have charged customs duty varying between 15-40%. Also when you import through any of these channels there is no real way of disputing anything as they will clear the customs, pay and then collect from you.
And anyways after the latest ruling which I posted initially this rule is not valid. Above 2k is automatic 41%.
Cheers,
Sid

i too have imported but have paid between 30-50% for audio and even bicycle parts !

This is not going to aid MAKE IN INDIA at all. It will ensure smugglers will have a field day in lining up their pockets even more and the authorized distributors/ dealers making even bigger margins selling to gullible public. Govt does not understand the audio market in India is so small that a manufacturer will not setup plants here and the land availability, no ecosystem, poor power and water availability, unstable political dynamics in each state adds up to too much trouble for electronics makers to even think of setting up a base here.

Early this month on 7th April (2017) I had released an audio item from Kolkata Customs which reached India through EMS post, they charged the duties at around 15% (Rs.2200), it's price was Rs.14,500 with shipping and declared value was also same. However package had arrived and got stuck with them since Feb.

So it seems I was not charged as per new customs rate or might be the new circular just got effective afterwards.

Last edited:
Cheers,
Sid
So the new one of 41% going to be applicable for newer orders?

Buying from AliExpress/Fuketu where you can ask the seller to mention the price below 25 US$ on the package will still be valid. Getting it from slower China post - India post shipping, where it won't undergo much scrutiny, customs even if levied will be less than 2000 is the only option for most of us.
i too have imported but have paid between 30-50% for audio and even bicycle parts !
I'm planning to order Audio technica lp120 from USA, its showing 180$ shipping and customs for a item worth 250$, which hasn't changed in last 7 months since I've been researching on turntables. Many other items like projector etc haven't changed the price, is it possible that Amazon may not be aware of such regulation being implemented from May 1st?

How about buying from Amazon USA /UK /Germany now only, before the rates change - even if customs is charged more; its the responsibility of the Amazon to pay and you'll be paid the difference if they charge less?

So the new one of 41% going to be applicable for newer orders?

Buying from AliExpress/Fuketu where you can ask the seller to mention the price below 25 US$ on the package will still be valid. Getting it from slower China post - India post shipping, where it won't undergo much scrutiny, customs even if levied will be less than 2000 is the only option for most of us.

I'm planning to order Audio technica lp120 from USA, its showing 180$ shipping and customs for a item worth 250$, which hasn't changed in last 7 months since I've been researching on turntables. Many other items like projector etc haven't changed the price, is it possible that Amazon may not be aware of such regulation being implemented from May 1st?

How about buying from Amazon USA /UK /Germany now only, before the rates change - even if customs is charged more; its the responsibility of the Amazon to pay and you'll be paid the difference if they charge less?

Undervaluation for Customs etc. is illegal and this forum does not encourage such acts. Please refrain from discussing such tricks....

Thanks

Undervaluation for Customs etc. is illegal and this forum does not encourage such acts. Please refrain from discussing such tricks....

Thanks

But discussing the tricks of grey imports in another thread on this forum is encouraged.:sad: Are grey imports not also illegal, only the authorities turn a blind eye on it?

But discussing the tricks of grey imports in another thread on this forum is encouraged.:sad: Are grey imports not also illegal, only the authorities turn a blind eye on it?

HMV...discussing this in a thread in a public forum can be considered criminal activity. do you really want to risk it ?

I agree with Anilva on this.

HMV...discussing this in a thread in a public forum can be considered criminal activity. do you really want to risk it ?

I agree with Anilva on this.

surely not. I was only wondering why another thread on this forum where a member from Chennai makes all tips and tricks public how to import to the grey market, is not moderated in the same way.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back