New Customs Rates?

Undervaluation for Customs etc. is illegal and this forum does not encourage such acts. Please refrain from discussing such tricks....

Thanks
My apologies, got carried away, the offending part can be deleted ; thanks for pointing it out.
HMV...discussing this in a thread in a public forum can be considered criminal activity. do you really want to risk it ?

I agree with Anilva on this.
Is it possible that, Amazon USA /UK may not be aware of such a regulation to be implemented from May 1st 2017 & they haven't made any correction in import fees deposits?

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Sorry, these grey market discussions are even on this same thread here. Didn't realise it.

Moderators are not bots who are continuously scanning all the threads all the time. If we come across some thing incorrect, then we point out or act if some one points out.

Just because some other thread went un-noticed does not make this a legible thread.

We are not picking on anyone.

Just expect people to exercise common sense and self restraint.

Regards

Is it possible that, Amazon USA /UK may not be aware of such a regulation to be implemented from May 1st 2017 & they haven't made any correction in import fees deposits?

I waited till May 1st before buying some stuff from Amazon, and I noticed that the import fee deposit automatically reduced on several items soon after May 1st. Clearly Amazon have updated their rates after something changed on May 1st.

Maybe this 40+% duty only applies under certain conditions such as using a freight forwarder like Shop and Ship, and not if the the seller ships to you directly.

I have asked my dealer in Bangalore if there were any changes in customs duty for IEC-holders. He said no, the duty on cif- bill value for shipments that had come in after May 1st was still the same like before:

- Customs Duty 7.5% (for amps, CDP, DAC etc.) or 10% (speakers, turntable, cable etc.)
- Countervailing Duty 12.5%
- Customs Educational Cess 2%
- Customs Higher Educational Cess 1%
- Additional Import Duty 4%

Only two taxes on imports - Custom Duty which cannot be recovered and IGST which is recoverable against IGST paid and CGST paid. Expecting it in 23% slab for luxury goods.

You mean to say that countervailing duty, additional custom duty and educational cess will cancelled and instead 7.5%/10% customs duty + 23% IGST will be imposed on imports?

You mean to say that countervailing duty, additional custom duty and educational cess will cancelled and instead 7.5%/10% customs duty + 23% IGST will be imposed on imports?

A big YES.
In earlier regime none of the import taxes could be set-off. Now IGST can be set-off against sales.
This will encourage dealers to prepare tax invoice.

Last edited:

Yes it is possible. I bought Synology NAS from Amazon about 15 days ago. It landed in India post 1st of May. Now the total value exceeds 50,000, so I have to give an undertaking that I will pay duty as well as penalties accrued. I have tried to impress upon Aramex that I have already paid duty to Amazon and they, Aramex have to pay it on behalf of Amazon, which further is paying on my behalf. They did not budge till I gave them the letter. Simultaneously, I took the matter up with Amazon, who consulted with Aramex US, and told me I don't have to pay a penny. They refunded the shipping and gave a me a free month of Prime membership for my wait. They also stated that it should be with me in the next 24 to 48 hours; of which 24 have just passed. I don't know which way it'll resolve.

By the way, the calculation of duty etc by Aramex India is about 11,000 more than what I have already paid to Amazon.

I recently ordered some banana plugs from shop & ship UK. I was charged approx. 40% duty. So it appears at-least shop and ship shipments are applying this rule. I will be ordering some non-audio items via fed-ex soon. Will update how that transpires.
Cheers,
Sid

I could clearly see different Amazon sites reducing the import fees deposit by 1% (29.21% now) after May 1st. It does look like direct sellers are rewarded and freight forwarders penalized.

Last edited:
I could clearly see different Amazon sites reducing the import fees deposit by 1% (29.21% now) after May 1st. It does look like direct sellers are rewarded and freight forwarders penalized.

Thanks for the headsup, looking to buy a Ultrabook for Dad from Amazon.com, price including shipping+import fees comes to around 57,251.72 if billed in INR whilst it shows $835.35 if billed in USD. Any idea why the discrepancy in pricing?

Thanks for the headsup, looking to buy a Ultrabook for Dad from Amazon.com, price including shipping+import fees comes to around 57,251.72 if billed in INR whilst it shows $835.35 if billed in USD. Any idea why the discrepancy in pricing?

You maybe using an indian credit card. There will be currency conversion and transaction charges (1-2%). Still the discrepancy seems a tad high.

I would suggest you to get it billed (pay) in $ rather than in INR as the currency conversion charges are higher on Amazon compared to your CC bank. I usually pay in $ on Amazon.com to save some exchange rate charges.

Thanks for the info guys, will bill it in USD, been scrapping for 2-in1 Ultrabooks@ Amazon.com and pricing including import fees+ priority shipping still turns out to lot cheaper than buying the same model in Amazon India by quite some margin.

Thanks for the info guys, will bill it in USD, been scrapping for 2-in1 Ultrabooks@ Amazon.com and pricing including import fees+ priority shipping still turns out to lot cheaper than buying the same model in Amazon India by quite some margin.

Avoid priority shipping it takes the total cost higher duty wise. Also, passage for goods worth more than 50,000 currently is not so smooth. I waiting on a verdict on the Synology NAS I purchased.

I just ordered an item worth over Rs.50,000 from Amazon Japan (ordered and delivered after May 1st), and was not charged extra duty by Amazon, and DHL did not mention any extra charges (regardless of the fact that it would be billed back to Amazon). DHL called me and said the package was held by customs for two days for duty clearance and thus the shipment was delayed (it was a priority shipment). However again there was no mention of any extra charge. I also have goods in transit from Amazon.com, and we'll see what happens then.

The confusion with Aramex and Amazon is because Aramex agents sometimes do not notice that a package is marked "FRDM". That's when they start asking for documents and duty charges. Remind them that it is an FDRM package and they will deliver it smoothly. The only thing you need to do is submit proof of identity for KYC.

As far as currency conversion is concerned, Amazon charges around 5% upfront for billing in INR, while a typical bank charges 4.1% for billing in USD (3.5% + taxes, which you will only see later on your statement).

Last edited:
Anyone bought anything from Aliexpress ? I'm looking for LED pendant lights and found them on Aliexpress. Reviews say that they take a long time to reach you, is that correct ? Any experience ?

Anyone bought anything from Aliexpress ? I'm looking for LED pendant lights and found them on Aliexpress. Reviews say that they take a long time to reach you, is that correct ? Any experience ?

Post take 1+ months. Regular courier takes 10+ days. I have never paid duty for items from AliExpress, though they have all been worth less than Rs.5000.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back