New Dedicated Headphone Dealer

Thad E Ginathom

Spotted this one in the newspaper...

The headphone zone.

Online shopping and also real shops at multiple locations in two or three Indian cities.

I would have thought that online shoppers who either know what they want, or are willing to take an unheard/untried headphone will still seek the lowest price of the day on Amazon/Flipkart etc, but the possibility of walking into a real shop and auditioning is priceless. Or, at least, probably worth the premium on the Amazon/Flipkart price.

Hoping one of us gets to call in at one of these shops soon. A report would be nice

We've had retail stores in Bangalore and Chennai for 3 years now

I wish I'd known. You got some coverage in The Hindu which means that I do now.

They are primarily targeted towards consumer headphones and earphones. Ofcourse, we'll be happy to organise Demo Units for specific Headphones that you'd like to try out if you just give us a little bit of a heads up before you head down to the stores. I will of course hope, that our new webstore finds your approval, which is really more focussed on the audiophile community

Thanks. Do remember that it is the audiophiles who are most likely to want to listen, and that the higher the price the more important this is. Really, I have been so tempted to click buy-now on a pair of HD800s, but even at one offer that brought them down to around half-price (Flipkart, and yes, it was genuine: I know a man who did buy) I felt it was just too much to buy blind. Or deaf.

In the past, I've paid over the odds (over the Amazon price, that is) to buy in Stereo, Singapore, just because I could go there (Or Jaben, of course) and spends as long as I wanted with the whole lineup at my budget. And above it too: the staff there are clever enough to know that what a customer can't afford this year he might come back for next year.

Anyway, I'm sorry it has taken me three years to find out about you guys, and, some time, I'll definitely drop by.

I know this dealer and I've dropped in to their store couple of times in the past. As Raghav mentioned, I realised that it is catering to the consumer market (more like on-the go smartphone plug-in). I've tried to inquire about audiophile headphones, some thing like Audio Technica M50, but couldn't get it.

Although the web store has products listed, the audiophile community would prefer to audition them first. I hope they have a dedicated place and products to listen to.

I've tried to inquire about audiophile headphones, some thing like Audio Technica M50, but couldn't get it.

My steps in "head-fi" have reached HD600. Budget alone requires me to get three years use out them before seriously considering any upgrade (today, that would probably be HD800; three year's time, who knows?). It would be great to think that, by then, I would be able to audition flagship headphones at one of the stores here in Chennai.

My steps in "head-fi" have reached HD600. Budget alone requires me to get three years use out them before seriously considering any upgrade (today, that would probably be HD800; three year's time, who knows?). It would be great to think that, by then, I would be able to audition flagship headphones at one of the stores here in Chennai.

For Sennheiser, Bangalore has a dedicated showroom with a cabin. You will have HD650, 700 and 800 awaiting you. A cosy recliner to relax on. With a brilliant Lehmann Audio BCL amp; I feel like going there just to "audition" some music. (Note: I already own a HD650). :)

Last edited:
Hello Kratu,
We're lucky to have guys like you walk in at our retail stores! Yes indeed, unfortunately the stores usually dont have the capability to audition high end Headphones like Audio-Technica's M50s, although we do try and keep them in stock atleast. I do apologise for disappointing you.

Raghav, it is good to see that you are proactive and taking a keen interest in the audiophile customers. Although, I have moved on into a speaker-based setup, I'd be open to discuss on this. Hifi amps and other gear sounds interesting. It is much needed here in India. Couple of years ago (and still), there aren't many places that cater to the community of audiophiles. Feel free to send a Personal Message (PM).

Both of your suggestions sounds good. It would be good to have a contact number/representative to take the appointment and then come down to audition. The second suggestion might take more effort to organise. If it workable, I'm open to join.

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back