New Epson 9400 projector blue dot issue

BudgetListener

After being super happy getting my new projector, call it bad luck or whatever but my brand new Epson 9400 has a stuck blue pixel visible on black screen on the top right corner. I came to see it only when the screen was paused once on black screen and I was moving away from it. It is visible only if you stand near it directly in front. I have taken a picture of it in Dynamic color mode using my phone which increases the exposure time and hence is producing a much darker tone of blue, useful in locating the dot. The dot also shifts with lens shift and I have tried the zoom-in out test to confirm that it is indeed a hardware defect.

I have raised a ticket couple of days ago and a service center guy is supposed to visit today. Extremely disappointed by this QC job for a brand such as Epson. I will keep this thread updated.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-05-24 at 4.59.14 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-05-24 at 4.59.14 PM.jpeg
    75.3 KB · Views: 40
After being super happy getting my new projector, call it bad luck or whatever but my brand new Epson 9400 has a stuck blue pixel visible on black screen on the top right corner. I came to see it only when the screen was paused once on black screen and I was moving away from it. It is visible only if you stand near it directly in front. I have taken a picture of it in Dynamic color mode using my phone which increases the exposure time and hence is producing a much darker tone of blue, useful in locating the dot. The dot also shifts with lens shift and I have tried the zoom-in out test to confirm that it is indeed a hardware defect.

I have raised a ticket couple of days ago and a service center guy is supposed to visit today. Extremely disappointed by this QC job for a brand such as Epson. I will keep this thread updated.
It could be a dust particle or most likely a poloriser flaw(3LCD tech). Definitely needs immediate attention. Good that you raised a ticket 🎟️.

Do not settle for a service if brand new/recently bought. I'd suggest writing an email to the sales & service head. U will get a new replacement unit. In case u don't u can consider return n get an LG cinebeam Hu9 laser proj short throw. 4K more durable & 3700 Lumens.

It could be a dust particle or most likely a poloriser flaw(3LCD tech). Definitely needs immediate attention. Good that you raised a ticket 🎟️.

Do not settle for a service if brand new/recently bought. I'd suggest writing an email to the sales & service head. U will get a new replacement unit. In case u don't u can consider return n get an LG cinebeam Hu9 laser proj short throw. 4K more durable & 3700 Lumens.
Yes, the service person diagnosed it as a hardware flaw and made a few calls, and told me that something called the optical engine needs to be replaced. I said I will not accept repair work on a brand new projector when it is clearly a hardware fault from the beginning. I have asked them to replace it and provide me with another projector. He said I would get a call tomorrow regarding the next steps. I don't think I will be settling without a replacement since it is a high-value purchase.

Yes, the service person diagnosed it as a hardware flaw and made a few calls, and told me that something called the optical engine needs to be replaced. I said I will not accept repair work on a brand new projector when it is clearly a hardware fault from the beginning. I have asked them to replace it and provide me with another projector. He said I would get a call tomorrow regarding the next steps. I don't think I will be settling without a replacement since it is a high-value purchase.
Absolutely!

You will have to be noisy about it otherwise they won't budge.

If the visit engineer has diagnosed & suggested a repair. Don't accept it. Write an email to the sales or service head right away. Either replacement or money back.

The blue dot is defective pixel in one of the the three LCD panels. This can't be repaired and hence Optical engine has to be replaced. It's the heart of the LCD projector, biggest and most expensive part AFAIK. You are EXTREMELY lucky that this happened and getting resolved in warranty period.

The blue dot is defective pixel in one of the the three LCD panels. This can't be repaired and hence Optical engine has to be replaced. It's the heart of the LCD projector, biggest and most expensive part AFAIK. You are EXTREMELY lucky that this happened and getting resolved in warranty period.
Haha, I am not sure I would call getting an expensive defective brand new hardware, spending a lot of time verifying the issue, and then frantically trying to get on 5 calls a day with dealer, service agent, his manager, writing several mails to Epson as 'Extremely lucky'. I just wanted to purchase it to enjoy watching movies in peace :( In fact, the AV companies should feel lucky that we have such a slow judiciary process that they can get away with antics like this even after providing bad service and lower warranty durations than what is given globally.

Last edited:
Haha, I am not sure I would call getting an expensive defective brand new hardware, spending a lot of time verifying the issue, and then frantically trying to get on 5 calls a day with dealer, service agent, his manager, writing several mails to Epson as 'Extremely lucky'. I just wanted to purchase it to enjoy watching movies in peace :( In fact, the AV companies should feel lucky that we have such a slow judiciary process that they can get away with antics like this even after providing bad service and lower warranty durations than what is given globally.
Please always properly read the sentence before replying. I said you were extremely lucky that this happened in warranty period. If this would have happened after warranty period, you would have been truly screwed.

Please always properly read the sentence before replying. I said you were extremely lucky that this happened in warranty period. If this would have happened after warranty period, you would have been truly screwed.
Hey, a bad day at work? ;)

Using your reply template: Please always try to understand what the other person might be referring to before starting to make assumptions about their comprehension skills. You might be surprised in real life which is much different than the pond we are in.

I did read your statement. My reply was a playful addendum that 'though you could say I am lucky to be covered in warranty (which is a universal truth for expensive AV equipment repair in India), but having received a lemon and going through these time-consuming things after a brand new purchase is unlucky since it is pure bad luck that this piece ended up with me'. I hope this resolves your anger.

Peace.

Hey, a bad day at work? ;)

Using your reply template: Please always try to understand what the other person might be referring to before starting to make assumptions about their comprehension skills. You might be surprised in real life which is much different than the pond we are in.

I did read your statement. My reply was a playful addendum that 'though you could say I am lucky to be covered in warranty (which is a universal truth for expensive AV equipment repair in India), but having received a lemon and going through these time-consuming things after a brand new purchase is unlucky since it is pure bad luck that this piece ended up with me'. I hope this resolves your anger.

Peace.
Not angry but you can't really compare the inconvenience of replacing a defective projector in warranty period with pain of losing an expensive projector because defects like this showed up outside of warranty. Your projector was already prone to that problem, so you are very lucky that the defect showed up in warranty period itself.

Not angry but you can't really compare the inconvenience of replacing a defective projector in warranty period with pain of losing an expensive projector because defects like this showed up outside of warranty. Your projector was already prone to that problem, so you are very lucky that the defect showed up in warranty period itself.
You both are correct in your own regards.

Yes it is also kinda being lucky 🤞
And I have been a victim too so it's a pain n spoiler as well. U trust the brand. But was able to get replacement. What if it was Outta warranty? 🤔 😭

Currently my proj has a poloriser issue and only solution is to buy a new one... until then living with it. Not that bad but yeah it's a problem 🙂

So we can call it being lucky on the flipside trust me.

Dont worry typically my experience has been phenomenal with Epson service and they replaced my projector no questions. I am in blr

Dont worry typically my experience has been phenomenal with Epson service and they replaced my projector no questions. I am in blr
Same here . even after 1.4 yrs after purchasing,my 9400 had some issues.i have posted seperate thread here.they changed motherboard lamp after 980 hrs of usage ,free software upgrade, later optical unit was mismatching with new motherboard .they rectified that also .
Now my projector is working well since 2 days . picture quality is i feel much better than old motherboard.
No questions asked from Epson service.

I got a replaced unit, too. They replaced my 5650 with 5820. Better unit, expensive than the replaced one. But the wait was tough.

I am a happy customer. Even they price their units reasonably.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back