New experience of cowon With philips HP

CLEARCUT

Being a good listener of hifi music I was in difficult position due to frequent powercut. Though I had sony, creative media player I was not interested in going for new gears. Since all of head phones became broken or problematic I gave an word in our wanted column. What a response Mr Muthusami and I audio have become friends of me. Due to them I came acquaintance of cowan audio. Mr.Muthusami gone one step ahead by sending me his cowon with his philips headphone. Thanks to all I have entered into the new field of audio listening. Power cut is no problem to me. I staunchly believe in pre and power combo only. Because of its dynamic non distorted maximum perfect quality. Cowon iaudio 7 remembered the same. Good power enough to drive less sensitivity headphone too. Long battery live. More features to maximum adjustment to suit ones need to copup with his own hp. Simply outbeat which all I have. Now I have proposed to go for cowon iaudio d2 which is in clearance sale of 5.5k. But its original hp is worth for nothing. After my sennheiser px 100 I liked the philips she 9800. Sen is a little bit above philips. But sen is costly and more filmsy. So philips is vfm and versatile and also high mobility. Totally I enjoy my music without disturbing others thanks to hifi vision and members who became my friends Mr. Muthusami , and I audio thanks pal. THANKS HIFIVISIONN

Being a good listener of hifi music I was in difficult position due to frequent powercut. Though I had sony, creative media player I was not interested in going for new gears. Since all of head phones became broken or problematic I gave an word in our wanted column. What a response Mr Muthusami and I audio have become friends of me. Due to them I came acquaintance of cowan audio. Mr.Muthusami gone one step ahead by sending me his cowon with his philips headphone. Thanks to all I have entered into the new field of audio listening. Power cut is no problem to me. I staunchly believe in pre and power combo only. Because of its dynamic non distorted maximum perfect quality. Cowon iaudio 7 remembered the same. Good power enough to drive less sensitivity headphone too. Long battery live. More features to maximum adjustment to suit ones need to copup with his own hp. Simply outbeat which all I have. Now I have proposed to go for cowon iaudio d2 which is in clearance sale of 5.5k. But its original hp is worth for nothing. After my sennheiser px 100 I liked the philips she 9800. Sen is a little bit above philips. But sen is costly and more filmsy. So philips is vfm and versatile and also high mobility. Totally I enjoy my music without disturbing others thanks to hifi vision and members who became my friends Mr. Muthusami , and I audio thanks pal. THANKS HIFIVISIONN

Thanks a lot for your wonderful words and gratitude. After hearing from you I came to know that Sennheiser PX100 is better than the Philips SHE9800 because you have used both the headphones. Needless to say, Cowon is far ahead of other mass market players in terms of audio quality. It is glad that you are going to have Cowon D2. It is more user friendly than iAudio7. Please write a small comparison between iAudio 7 and D2 if possible.

By the way, I am going to buy Sennheiser PX100 soon; in touch with my friend who is running a shop (not a grey market shop) in Ritchie street; i hope he will source one piece for me. I will post further information about the price and other details.

I use a Cowon D2. The expansion slot makes it a 48GB player at an unbeatable price. Sound quality and battery life are uncomparable to the rest.

You will have a great time with the player.

I have tried it with Ultimate Ears as well as Head Direct RE0. The head direct phone is relatively cheap, but there are many VFM alternatives as well.

All the best for a high quality listening life and welcome to Cowon admirers.

About 4K.

There is an RE2 at about 2.1 K.

Head Direct ? Lynx - The Audio , Electronics & Computer Online Superstore In India

I have also posted my experience with REO in this forum.

The earphones make the biggest difference in sound quality. Therefore, do plan to invest wisely in them and you should spend adequate time choosing.

Mr Asit started a long and detailed discussion on earphones and finally choose RE2 (i think). He also explored Klipsch S4 at about 2K. You could search the forum.

Regards

I use a Cowon D2. The expansion slot makes it a 48GB player at an unbeatable price. Sound quality and battery life are uncomparable to the rest.

You will have a great time with the player.

I have tried it with Ultimate Ears as well as Head Direct RE0. The head direct phone is relatively cheap, but there are many VFM alternatives as well.

All the best for a high quality listening life and welcome to Cowon admirers.

Thanks for the post. Only based on your discussions about Cowon in earlier posts, I bought Cowon iAudio 7 8 GB recently. As you said, the sound quality and battery life are uncomparable. Earlier I had Creative Zen Stone Plus and Sansa Clip players but in terms of sound quality, these players cannot come near iAudio 7.

Our forum member Clearcut says that Sennheiser PX100 is better than Philips SHE9800. Do you have any experience with this headphones? As I am going to buy this, your opinion is welcome. Is RE0 is better than PX 100? Please share your thoughts.

Our forum member Clearcut says that Sennheiser PX100 is better than Philips SHE9800. Do you have any experience with this headphones? As I am going to buy this, your opinion is welcome. Is RE0 is better than PX 100? Please share your thoughts.

Sorry for interrupting without invitation ;)

I have Sennheiser PX-80, which is closer to PX-100 less some bass. It's a nice headphone. Does not fatigue me and is never sibilant. But I suspect it has an bass roll-off as I am unable to hear certain portions compared to IEMs. It sort of "opens up" over 80-100 hours and bass gets better.

When you are talking about RE0, the issues related to IEMs do come into the picture. It is microphonic and when used over the ear with shirt clip-on, it's not a great issue. I also use Phonak Ear guides now and am no longer bothered by microphonics.

But, they do need an amp to shine - at least a FiiO E5. For comparison, I keep volume close to 50-60% in Clip+ for PX-80, then I'd need 90% for RE-0.

Bass quantity is less in the case of RE0. But, it's mids and highs are good. It's detailed, analytical and depending on your musical taste, you may either get excited by them or be bored due to it's "dryness".

Sorry for interrupting without invitation ;)
I have Sennheiser PX-80, which is closer to PX-100 less some bass. It's a nice headphone. Does not fatigue me and is never sibilant. But I suspect it has an bass roll-off as I am unable to hear certain portions compared to IEMs. It sort of "opens up" over 80-100 hours and bass gets better.

When you are talking about RE0, the issues related to IEMs do come into the picture. It is microphonic and when used over the ear with shirt clip-on, it's not a great issue. I also use Phonak Ear guides now and am no longer bothered by microphonics.

But, they do need an amp to shine - at least a FiiO E5. For comparison, I keep volume close to 50-60% in Clip+ for PX-80, then I'd need 90% for RE-0.

Bass quantity is less in the case of RE0. But, it's mids and highs are good. It's detailed, analytical and depending on your musical taste, you may either get excited by them or be bored due to it's "dryness".

Santosh, you are always welcome to provide your opinions. :)

Thanks for your comparion with IEMs and Headband headphones. You are right. IEMs are better in delivering the bass because they are close to our ear drums. Isn't it?

Regarding the term, 'microphonic'. I think you are referring to the noise intrusion like when we breathe or munch something, the sound reflects in the IEMs. Please correct me if I am wrong.

As the bass quanity is less in RE0, I think I can increase the bass in iAudio7. I don't get an idea from what you are referring as 'dryness'; you mean it sounds flat? Please explain.

Muthusami,

I think what Santhosh is saying is that with the Re0, the sound will be very detailed and analytical. No frequencies will be overly exaggerated for the sake of entertainment value. There will be no coloration to the sound, as we say 'warmth' or 'brightness'.

As for microphonics, it refers to sounds you hear in the IEM when the earphones cords rub against your shirt when you walk.
As for the bass, the BBE does a swell job of fine tuning.
Titus

Santosh, You say that the Re0 needs double the gain on Clip plus than PX80. Dont you think the D2's higher power would compensate? My personal experience is that D2 is far more powerful than my clip plus. In case it doesnt work out, there s always the e5.

Santosh, You say that the Re0 needs double the gain on Clip plus than PX80. Dont you think the D2's higher power would compensate? My personal experience is that D2 is far more powerful than my clip plus. In case it doesnt work out, there s always the e5.

Titus,

Yes! D2 is definitely more powerful than Clip+. With D2 / D2+, it could run just fine at slightly higher volumes without an amp. But, even with D2, the volume level difference would exist.

@Muthusami

Yes, you can use EQ to compensate for bass quantity of RE0.

A few more things to keep in mind when considering PX-100 and RE0:

• PX-100 is an open headphone. So, unless it's a very silent environment you are sure to hear what others are talking, though not clearly. You could use this to your advantage if you are spying for instance ;) In return, those near you could listen for free if you keep your volume high.
  • RE0 is not very isolating with the bundled tips i.e., do not expect the fan sound to completely vanish when you are listening to silent passages. It would sure sound muffled, but (going by what I read) unless you are using Etymotic (which isolates by 26 dB), you would not be immune to outside noises. IMHO, that is not entirely a bad thing, though I've missed hearing a few calling bells using IEMs in day time :rolleyes:
  • IEMs could bring up some minor details you would have missed when using headphones. On the other hand, their sound stage would not rival the headphones.
  • While I was very skeptical of this "burn-in" phenomenon, RE0 did sound like crap for about 20 hours or so. Either I got used to it or the dynamic IEM driver settled in a nice position to provide me with good sound thereafter. Bass quantity improved slightly around 50 hours or so as it was "silent" on bass fresh up. I am talking from memory, which of course is as messed up as the lead character in "Memento". So trust your ears if you happen to end up with RE0 :)

Muthusami,

I think what Santhosh is saying is that with the Re0, the sound will be very detailed and analytical. No frequencies will be overly exaggerated for the sake of entertainment value. There will be no coloration to the sound, as we say 'warmth' or 'brightness'.

As for microphonics, it refers to sounds you hear in the IEM when the earphones cords rub against your shirt when you walk.
As for the bass, the BBE does a swell job of fine tuning.
Titus

Thanks a lot for the clarifications. Similar to RE0 microphonics, with Philips SHE9800, I hear sounds when I breathe or eat some snacks. :) Our fourm Clearcut also has pointed out this.

I like the natural sound rather than warmth or bright; so RE0 can be the better choice over PX100?

Titus,

Yes! D2 is definitely more powerful than Clip+. With D2 / D2+, it could run just fine at slightly higher volumes without an amp. But, even with D2, the volume level difference would exist.

@Muthusami

Yes, you can use EQ to compensate for bass quantity of RE0.

A few more things to keep in mind when considering PX-100 and RE0:

• PX-100 is an open headphone. So, unless it's a very silent environment you are sure to hear what others are talking, though not clearly. You could use this to your advantage if you are spying for instance ;) In return, those near you could listen for free if you keep your volume high.
  • RE0 is not very isolating with the bundled tips i.e., do not expect the fan sound to completely vanish when you are listening to silent passages. It would sure sound muffled, but (going by what I read) unless you are using Etymotic (which isolates by 26 dB), you would not be immune to outside noises. IMHO, that is not entirely a bad thing, though I've missed hearing a few calling bells using IEMs in day time :rolleyes:
  • IEMs could bring up some minor details you would have missed when using headphones. On the other hand, their sound stage would not rival the headphones.
  • While I was very skeptical of this "burn-in" phenomenon, RE0 did sound like crap for about 20 hours or so. Either I got used to it or the dynamic IEM driver settled in a nice position to provide me with good sound thereafter. Bass quantity improved slightly around 50 hours or so as it was "silent" on bass fresh up. I am talking from memory, which of course is as messed up as the lead character in "Memento". So trust your ears if you happen to end up with RE0 :)

Hi Santosh,

Thank you very much for the explanations. Also read a review of RE0 in head-fi, which is in similar lines with your opinion. So far I have used Philips SHE9800. Its impedance is 16 ohms and the volume output is good. With iAudio7, I cannot go beyond the volume level of 30 points. On the other hand, the RE0's impedance is 64 ohms. Is this the reason for the lower volume output?

So far I have used Philips SHE9800. Its impedance is 16 ohms and the volume output is good. With iAudio7, I cannot go beyond the volume level of 30 points. On the other hand, the RE0's impedance is 64 ohms. Is this the reason for the lower volume output?

16 and 32 ohm phones and IEMs in general would be easily driven by many portable players.

RE0 has 64 ohm impedance and 100 db / mW sensitivity. In comparison, SHE9800 has 16 ohm impedance and 106 db / mW sensitivity.

D2 / D2+ has 37mW output, S9 outputs 29 mW, iAudio 7 has 26mW and Clip+ should be even lesser at 16 ohms (Could not find it at Sansa site). D2 would have lesser trouble driving RE0 than iAudio 7, at least theoretically.

I used to have an Ultimate Ears 5 (i think) which got stolen along with the Cowon D2.

With UE, i used to listen at volumes 14-18 in the Cowon. In quiet environment, 12 also would do.

With REO, i generally start at about 18-20, and while in flight i go upto 28 (on a max of 50).

Clearly, RE0 takes some driving. Equally clearly Cowon D2/D2+ can more than drive it well, with a lot of power still left to spare.

My biggest scare is any of my kids cranking up the volume when fiddling with the Cowon. They dont use the earphone, but i will be half deaf if i put it on at higher volumes.

I guess you have read through head-fi and there are some fantastic threads on IEM comparisons.

All the best while you make your choices. If you are going near REO, dealing with Lynx can cause some heartache - clearly for Lynx the means are nothing compared to the end product they deliver. So the web ordering is quite an experience. I will seriously recommend their chat room if you are bored and want to rag an innocent newbie.

Regarding px 100 one clarification. Comparing to all iem I feel px 100 is as if hearing through b&w 805 natuilus I feel. Good detail airy, transperancy or anything. The bell guitar sounds are more naturals. The bass sound is so discreet as if we are hearing through iem. Only think is it does not cut the external sound much. But on the whole it is superb. I dont know what is in technical beware of fake product. i have sent my broken px 100 to Mr.Muthusami from whom I am expecting his technical comments whom is much interested and technically known

Last edited:
Regarding px 100 one clarification. Comparing to all iem I feel px 100 is as if hearing through b&w 805 natuilus I feel. Good detail airy, transperancy or anything. The bell guitar sounds are more naturals. The bass sound is so discreet as if we are hearing through iem. Only think is it does not cut the external sound much. But on the whole it is superb. I dont know what is in technical beware of fake product. i have sent my broken px 100 to Mr.Muthusami from whom I am expecting his technical comments whom is much interested and technically known

Thanks a lot sir. Even I am also in your category i.e. I can find out the quality difference between headphones but I cannot mention it in technical terms. I am waiting for your PX 100 and will write about the difference between the Philips SHE9800 and PX 100. Recently, I visited my friend's shop to purchase PX 100, but it is not available. Enquired some other shop but they have only the fakes; no original packing or carrying case. They offered PX 100 for Rs. 850; the moment I heard the price, I rejected it.

Friends,

In Chennai, Niranjan Electronics is the distributor for Sennheiser headphones and they have 3 pairs of PX 100. They are offering 10% discount on MRP (Rs. 2990), which comes to Rs. the final price is Rs. 2691/-. I will buy one after auditioning the Clearcut's broken PX 100. Those who are interested can call Niranjan Electronics at 044-24339023; 24339286 or send an email to [email protected]. If all the prices can be purchased in one shot, I think they will give further discount. I am not sure. They also told me that after the stock is over, they will sell only the next model PX 100 - II whose MRP is Rs. 3990/. So it seems that PX 100 won't be available or it will be discontinued. If anybody has further information on this, please share.

Last edited:
Clearcut sir,

Received the Cowon iAudio7 and your PX 100. Thanks a lot for sending the cables and interconnects for me.

I tested your PX 100 with my Cowon iAudio7. My observations are below.

• PX 100 Sounds natural; no coloration.
  • Provides adequate bass but not tight as compared to Philips SHE9800
  • Mid range frequencies are handled very well.
  • Treble is neutral but not crisp; as a result no ear fatigue.

Irrespective of the above good things, I feel it is little pricey compared to Philips SHE9800.

While testing, I enjoyed the following tracks:

English
- Black or White - Michael Jackson
- Top of the World and Jambalaya - Carpenters
- Volez Vouz - Abba

Tamil
- Oh.. Butterfly from Meera - The second interlude is a real feast to my ears.
- Hosanna... - Vinnai Thaandi Varuvaaya
- Karka karka.. - Vettaiyadu Vilaiyadu
- Eno eno panithuli... Aadhavan

I would like to inform that I was skeptical about the originality of your PX 100 because the Sennheiser Logo at the headband is slightly slanting. I have read in fakeheadphones.com that this is an indication of a fake one. Sorry to say this. I have taken a snap of the headband and attached it.

SennLogo.jpg

I have seen the PX 100 for the first time; that's why I cannot confirm the originality. Other forum members, please clarify.

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back