New lossless mp3 format coming ...

Oh man, is there going to be an end to my ripping woes.

Thanks Gobble. It says its "Backward Compatible to mp3", don't know what that exactly means, but if it works on existing MP3 h/w like my car stereo then great, it will save me a round of h/w upgrades, but it will in all probability mean another round of ripping in MP3HD format now.

Thanks,but file size will be larger.Apple also trying for newer format which is lossless? & compit mp3.

Thanks Gobble. It says its "Backward Compatible to mp3", don't know what that exactly means, but if it works on existing MP3 h/w like my car stereo then great, it will save me a round of h/w upgrades, but it will in all probability mean another round of ripping in MP3HD format now.

Heh :p The Internet is going to meltdown with all the new HD format large file downloads I guess.

Cheers

At the end of the day afer having so many different Audio Video Codecs ....I must say that I am confused and frusrated....... :sad::mad::eek:

Actually, version 1.x of this has already been released. Consists of:
A command line encoder
A command line decoder
A decoder for WinAmp

I tried the command line encoder/decoder just yesterday for normalizing some WAV files [My batch normalizer only normalizes MP3's so I had to: convert the WAV to lossless MP3 -->Normalize the lossless MP3-->convert the lossless MP3 to WAV again] - worked great!

At the end of the day afer having so many different Audio Video Codecs ....I must say that I am confused and frusrated....... :sad::mad::eek:

For audio - don't be. Just use ANY lossless codec and you should be fine. As for lossy codecs - IMO they are all bad. All of them rob "something" from the sound.

Moserw, have you come across any FLAC from DVD-A? I have heard that you can convert from DVD-A, using DVD Audio Explorer. On an average 150-200 MB per song. You may freak out on those ;)

Moserw, have you come across any FLAC from DVD-A? I have heard that you can convert from DVD-A, using DVD Audio Explorer. On an average 150-200 MB per song. You may freak out on those ;)

No, I've not heard of it or come across it. But just this morning I was reading about lossyWAV and lossyFLAC but not sure how the SQ will be. I'm very happy as of now with FLAC especially via cPlay and on the PC with the Asus and the AVI babies. I'll check out the DVD-A conversion to FLAC, but at 200 MB it would be an overkill I suppose. In times past 4 albums would fit in that size in MP3 format.

Thanks for sharing...

I'll check out the DVD-A conversion to FLAC, but at 200 MB it would be an overkill I suppose. In times past 4 albums would fit in that size in MP3 format.

Thanks for sharing...

Depends how passionate you are:) It' only max Rs. 10.00/ DVD for 20+ songs. So 50 paise per song. OR EXT HDD say Rs 5.5K for 1 TB. That's 5000+ songs.
Rs. 1.10 per song. ;)

And the quality that you will get will only make your enthusiastic PC setup sound even better!!

Last edited:
You do make a very strong case for it. Storage in DVDs is not a problem. Except MKV/HD rips everything else can be stored in them. Problem is having them on the PC full time to listen to them. PC can accommodate only 3 or 4 HDDs at the max. I already have 3 HDDs and most of them are already full with just FLAC rips. If I move to 200 MB FLAC rips you can imagine the trouble I will have keeping them on the PC full time which is what I prefer so I can listen to them anytime instead hunting for the CDs and DVDs.

Depends how passionate you are:) It' only max Rs. 10.00/ DVD for 20+ songs. So 50 paise per song. OR EXT HDD say Rs 5.5K for 1 TB. That's 5000+ songs.
Rs. 1.10 per song. ;)

And the quality that you will get will only make your enthusiastic PC setup sound even better!!

You do make a very strong case for it. Storage in DVDs is not a problem. Except MKV/HD rips everything else can be stored in them. Problem is having them on the PC full time to listen to them. PC can accommodate only 3 or 4 HDDs at the max. I already have 3 HDDs and most of them are already full with just FLAC rips. If I move to 200 MB FLAC rips you can imagine the trouble I will have keeping them on the PC full time which is what I prefer so I can listen to them anytime instead hunting for the CDs and DVDs.

EXT HDD = External Hard disk

EXT HDD = External Hard disk

Hey I know bro. But how long can one keep the external HDD connected and always on? It just cannot replace an internal HDD right. Also, the new generation of external HDDs are good but I've had lots of problems with them in the past. I had this exact idea of keeping all my music (in those days in MP3) on an external 320 GB HDD. The biggest problem was actually connecting it to the PC and listening to music. It would always time out and the disc would go into a loop trying to read data which meant the media player would hang and system would need a reboot. Internal HDDs don't have so much headache at least if you're looking to keep the HDD connected at all times and I do listen to music a good 8-10 hours every day.

Or else I should upgrade all my internal HDDs to 2TB so I will have 6TB storage and then can move to DVD-A FLAC rips. But 2TB HDDs are quite expensive at this time...

This format is pure bull-s*!#

It is just an MP3 track with the lossless information stored as ID3V2. Now, the ID3V2 format specifies a maximum tag size of (I think,) 32 MB. That means your entire lossless track should be MP3 plus 32 MB in size.

Can you imagine what a stupid restriction that is?! What if I encode a really large song whose lossless file size is bound to exceed this limit? What then? Will the encoder automatically 'choose' the lossy algorithm for me? :lol:

Use FLAC. It is widely supported on a lot of hardware, adheres to an an open standard and is easy to use.

Don't fall for any more useless proprietary formats such as these.

Oh, as for this particular format, count on it being scrapped in a matter of months.

Last edited:
Hey I know bro. But how long can one keep the external HDD connected and always on? It just cannot replace an internal HDD right. Also, the new generation of external HDDs are good but I've had lots of problems with them in the past. I had this exact idea of keeping all my music (in those days in MP3) on an external 320 GB HDD. The biggest problem was actually connecting it to the PC and listening to music. It would always time out and the disc would go into a loop trying to read data which meant the media player would hang and system would need a reboot. Internal HDDs don't have so much headache at least if you're looking to keep the HDD connected at all times and I do listen to music a good 8-10 hours every day.

Or else I should upgrade all my internal HDDs to 2TB so I will have 6TB storage and then can move to DVD-A FLAC rips. But 2TB HDDs are quite expensive at this time...

The basic WD EXT HDD "My Book" Essential Edition (5.5K for 1 TB) will auto power on/ off when PC is on/ shutdown. These are good quality ready to go HDDs. You may have faced problems with customized Chinese casing ones?

Anyway, one will not have source for so many DVD-A in first place. 1TB HDD should suffice for this FLAC format.

Last edited:
Yes, you are right, they were Chinese or local external cases. This was a good 7-8 years ago and nothing else existed for what I was looking back then.

The basic WD EXT HDD "My Book" Essential Edition (5.5K for 1 TB) will auto power off when PC is shutdown. These are good quality ready to go HDDs. You may have faced problems with customized Chinese casing ones?

Anyway, one will not have source for so many DVD-A in first place. 1TB HDD should suffice for this FLAC format.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back