New Member....Need help with 42' Plasma & WDTV

infinity

Hello Friends !!!

I am a new member this group and absolutely delighted to read the in-depth reviews, great comparisons and superb advises that are shared here. Cudos to the members.

I am planning to buy a 42'' plasma...have read almost all the posts here..including BLASTO's great views regarding the Sammy B450. I have checked the B450, B430, Panny C10, X10 and found the Sammys better for my type of usage....50% cable, 40% HD movies with (90~10 : 720p~1080p), and 10% Gaming. SD content to me looks better in the Sammy....checked Sun DTH (Direct HD) - IPL live telecast on it...its AWESOME !!!

May I request some clarifications on the following :

1. B430 and B450...are the main diff the 1 less HDMI and Anynet/CEC ? Didnt find any more...and is the price diff worth the B450 ?

2. I have the WDTV...but sadly not a Receiver yet which has HDMI....I have an old Yamaha - RXV-420...(absolutely love it though..for its performance and clarity :) )...hence the HDMI will interface between WDTV and TV..if I connect the A/V out of WDTV to Receiver..will I get 5.1 effect for all the 5.1 content ??

3. How to check the usage Hrs on a new Sammy ?

4. I read in one of the posts about the C450..any news on its launch in India ?...not sure if its worth the wait..or the extra $$.

5. What is the best price to pay now..considering the 6000 / 7000 series launched would pull the prices of these down...and where in HYD ? I read 45k in Bajaj-Kukatpally..what all is included ?...

Thanks a Lot.

Did some research and found some of the answers :

2. WDTV - Checked the WDTV Thread and its confirmed that Digital out to reciever will carry 5.1 audio which receiver will process and output...so no worries there.

3. Usage Hrs check...this is the article I found....
How can I determine how many hours the unit has been in use?
Be aware that when entering the Service Menu, all User Menu settings will revert to their factory default settings. Document these settings before you begin. Do not change any settings while in the service menu!

Enter the Service Menu. On entering the Service Menu, in the left column, scroll down and select Option Byte. The next screen that appears will display two columns of data. Look in the left hand column for the heading Panel Display Time or Panel Hours (it varies by model). Before exiting, highlight Reset and then hit OK. (Brightness will be skewed if you do not reset.) Your TV with automatically shut off.

Not sure if this works.....will wait for a confirmation from the forum.

Waiting on guidance for points 1, 4 and 5.

Thanks

1. Where did you compare this? I also suggest you look at the Panasonic at home condition if you have any friends. I still prefer my PV8 PQ compared many new plasmas.

2. The AV out will give 2 channel output to u r Yammy. If my memory serves right, 420 has a Digital and Optical in. If it has, connect the optical out from WD to the Optical in of the Yam using a Optical Cable. This will give u perfect 5 channel sound, this is what i am using.

1. B430 and B450...are the main diff the 1 less HDMI and Anynet/CEC ? Didnt find any more...and is the price diff worth the B450 ?

B450 has VGA in for connecting laptop/computer, one extra HDMI and composite-in (RCA). It also has 3D support and Anti glare filter in the screen.

B430 has none of the above (not sure of the anti glare filter).

Also if you are wall mounting, B450 has an HDMI and composite in the sides which comes handy for plug and play connections. B430 has all connections at the back. The external appearance is also different.

IMO, price difference is justified, but depends on your requirement.

4. I read in one of the posts about the C450..any news on its launch in India ?...not sure if its worth the wait..or the extra $$.

Samsung usually launches new TVs in the month of April/May in india.

5. What is the best price to pay now..considering the 6000 / 7000 series launched would pull the prices of these down...and where in HYD ? I read 45k in Bajaj-Kukatpally..what all is included ?...

alokbharti got one for 47.5k with finance and free SUN HD connection from bajaj kutpalli a month back. Awesome offer. I got it for 45k with finance and without freebies in jan.

They sell B430 for ~42k.

1. Where did you compare this? I also suggest you look at the Panasonic at home condition if you have any friends. I still prefer my PV8 PQ compared many new plasmas.

I compared a B450 with PV8 side by side in Croma last week. Firstly, matched all the PQ settings for colour, contrast, brightness...etc for both and then played the store HD video. Both looked great, PV8 did have a better black reproduction but not a huge diff. The played Airtel SD and B450 had a better image..looked more crisp and pleasing to the eye at a 8 ft distance. One thing I noticed is that PV8 had more brightness effect at a 50% setting than the B450...with all other setting similar...maybe need to check it out again. However, the recent Panasonic - Black level change issues is worrying...hence not very confident. Having said that, the PV8 is very good model and very good VFM...especially for the owners who have purchased before mid 2009..before the Pana - black issues started cropping up.

2. The AV out will give 2 channel output to u r Yammy. If my memory serves right, 420 has a Digital and Optical in. If it has, connect the optical out from WD to the Optical in of the Yam using a Optical Cable. This will give u perfect 5 channel sound, this is what i am using.

Yes...you are correct..420 has the Digital and Optical -in. Thanks for the clarification Ram....this really HELPS !!!! :yahoo:

IMO, price difference is justified, but depends on your requirement.

Thanks Blasto....this helps. Side connections, PC input, anti glare and 3D is good VFM for sure.:D

alokbharti got one for 47.5k with finance and free SUN HD connection from bajaj kutpalli a month back. Awesome offer. I got it for 45k with finance and without freebies in jan.

They sell B430 for ~42k.

Good Price...will go during the weekend and talk to the person there. 47.5k with finance and SUN HD is a good deal for sure for the B450. Just to be sure...does it include the wall mount also ?

I compared a B450 with PV8 side by side in Croma last week. Firstly, matched all the PQ settings for colour, contrast, brightness...etc for both and then played the store HD video. Both looked great, PV8 did have a better black reproduction but not a huge diff. The played Airtel SD and B450 had a better image..looked more crisp and pleasing to the eye at a 8 ft distance. One thing I noticed is that PV8 had more brightness effect at a 50% setting than the B450...with all other setting similar...maybe need to check it out again. However, the recent Panasonic - Black level change issues is worrying...hence not very confident. Having said that, the PV8 is very good model and very good VFM...especially for the owners who have purchased before mid 2009..before the Pana - black issues started cropping up.

Do they still have PV8?? That is a discontinued 2008 model.. :eek:

Good Price...will go during the weekend and talk to the person there. 47.5k with finance and SUN HD is a good deal for sure for the B450. Just to be sure...does it include the wall mount also ?

Wall mount + instalation included. Samsung engineer does the installation.

Forgot to mention, Normal SUN DTH (not HD) was included in my deal of 45k.

Do they still have PV8?? That is a discontinued 2008 model..

They only had the last piece - demo one...selling at 38k...panel had a lot of scratches and stuff...looked to be quite old.

Wall mount + instalation included. Samsung engineer does the installation.
Forgot to mention, Normal SUN DTH (not HD) was included in my deal of 45k.

Thanks for the update...you really got a good deal man...:clapping:
Lemme go and see during the weekend if I can convince them for the same deal.

Bye the way...did you follow the break-in settings for the first 100 hrs to avoid IR ?

With all the many HDMI cables available and a varied price range...can anyone suggest a good one for the WDTV to the Sammy450...for playing 720p and 1080p movies.

still comparing plasma in showroom condition is not correct. Trust me PV8 at home condition is just amazing, its in my opinion one of the best VFM Plasma of all time :)

They only had the last piece - demo one...selling at 38k...panel had a lot of scratches and stuff...looked to be quite old.

Which croma is this? I really wanted to see the PV8 after so many good reviews in the forum, can you let me know which croma you saw that?

Thanks for the update...you really got a good deal man...:clapping:
Lemme go and see during the weekend if I can convince them for the same deal.

Bye the way...did you follow the break-in settings for the first 100 hrs to avoid IR ?

With all the many HDMI cables available and a varied price range...can anyone suggest a good one for the WDTV to the Sammy450...for playing 720p and 1080p movies.

Kept my TV in movie mode and contrast ~50 for 2-3 weeks. This is a precaution which will avoid a lot of repenting later. Avoid the 'dynamic' mode throughout the life as it is bad to both the eyes and the panel. Stick to standard or movie mode only.

Point to Note:

1) PV8 is a 2008 model and has NO power saving capabilities. All of the 2009 models have this as it became a rule. Hence PV8 can be brighter than 2009 models and a bit power consuming. I have seen people in this forum rush to get the last pieces of PV8.

2) Croma are buglers in disguise. If you can get the PV8 for <35k, I think it is great value even though it is old and I haven't seen myself. Get the 3 year extended warrenty also with 35k stating it is discontinued.

still comparing plasma in showroom condition is not correct. Trust me PV8 at home condition is just amazing, its in my opinion one of the best VFM Plasma of all time

I wish I had a chance..but sadly you are in Chennai and me in HYD :sad:

Which croma is this? I really wanted to see the PV8 after so many good reviews in the forum, can you let me know which croma you saw that?

Chroma - Jubilee Hills - Hyderabad...by the way..they are quoting 52k for B-450...I almost choked when the sales guy confirmed the price..:lol:

Thanks for the tip regarding the break-in process.

1) PV8 is a 2008 model and has NO power saving capabilities. All of the 2009 models have this as it became a rule. Hence PV8 can be brighter than 2009 models and a bit power consuming. I have seen people in this forum rush to get the last pieces of PV8.

Great point....I checked and found 335 Watts mentioned in Pana website for PV8....nothing specific mentioned for Sammy B-450...so I went to Reliance to confirm..and you wont believe the responses I got from the crazy sales guys...all nonsense. Luckily, there was a B-430 on table-top display which I turned and saw a tag of 240 Watts there....therfore ..Blasto...you are correct.

I am sure PV8 is a great choice..which makes people go after it so eagerly..and this is getting me all confused all over again...:mad:

In Pana website, PV8 talks about 24fps playback...whereas Sammy has no mention of it...how does the B450 handle 24fps playback ??
2) Croma are buglers in disguise. If you can get the PV8 for <35k, I think it is great value even though it is old and I haven't seen myself. Get the 3 year extended warrenty also with 35k stating it is discontinued.

PV8 @ 35k with 3 yr Warranty will be a killer deal......not sure where in HYD I can get this offer...

After going through the other threads....looks like Sammy C series Plasmas are due anyday. I guess its better to wait till the end of this month to check the price / enhancements of the C over the B and then decide. Futhermore, with C series launched, there may be some more discounts for the B series.

Great point....I checked and found 335 Watts mentioned in Pana website for PV8....nothing specific mentioned for Sammy B-450...so I went to Reliance to confirm..and you wont believe the responses I got from the crazy sales guys...all nonsense. Luckily, there was a B-430 on table-top display which I turned and saw a tag of 240 Watts there....therfore ..Blasto...you are correct.

Exactly the reason why the PQ and contrast is much better in PV8, the energy saving etc brought down the TVs capability in the newer models.

Looks like I am getting greedy with the screen size now:eek:hyeah:
Have been searching for a 50" B450...looks like it has been selling @ 55k~57k, but sadly, have not yet found any supplier having stock in HYD.

Last edited:
Looks like I am getting greedy with the screen size now:eek:hyeah:
Have been searching for a 50" B450...looks like it has been selling @ 55k~57k, but sadly, have not yet found any supplier having stock in HYD.

Make sure you have a viewing distance of atleast 12' before you look into 50".

The viewing distance I have is 11 feet :sad:
Went to Reliance yesterday and wifey also had doubts on the 50"...due to the 11 feet...as she did mention that its a bit large for 11 feet :sad:..guess she was right :)

Looks like its 42" for me :rolleyes:

I think u would be fine with a 50" from 11 ft too.

Only if it is always 11 feet and more...IMO :)

In my case viewing distance varies from 6 feet to 10 feet because of different seating positions
and I find 42 inch perfect at this viewing range.
I watch HD movies and HD channels from a close position..and for SD I move to farthest position..

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back