*New Member Says Hello, And needs your help*

dotekafu

Hi everyone. This is Uday, A new Budding Audiophile in this group. I have a long story to say and it needs your opinion.

So 17 Years Back, My dad bought the Jamo E series (E550) 5.1 package paired with Denon AVR1705 and it did great for about 10 years after which it gave few motherboard issues. We shifted over to Denon X2000 and still running strong with the whole setup.

Now I want to upgrade, I recently saw the Klipsch R800F uniquely only for a 2.0 setup, We are getting away from the 5.1 for a while as my dad prefers more music listening than watching movies. However I do have a Polk HTS10 which I replaced as my Jamo SW had ageing issues. There is still an option for 2.1 though I’m not sure how practical it is to listen music in 2.1

Now comes the real drama. As a budding audiophile I realised the importance of an Integrated Amplifier in music listening and now want to get my hands on one. When I saw the demo of the Klipsch R-800F with Roksan K2 I was blown away, though we also saw the Jamo D590 which is kinda close to the competition, we liked the Klipsch as an all round package though Jamo packed more treble.

Taking strict Budget into consideration, Roksan K2s price to me is touching the sky. So I thought of an alternative and met a used dealer and came across Cambridge Audio Azur 840a V2.0. The dealer showed me some demo but I felt that the vocals could have been better. But it was smooth, I’m more than happy to include it. Now my questions:

1. How is the service? I don’t think Cambridge audio isn’t a product widely sold in the country. The Azur 840a V2.0 that I’m seeing is an import from Dubai as the dealer says. I’m from Bangalore, (Saying Hi to all Bangaloreans on this group) I’m skeptical about the service, though I’m open to send it across if there’s any requirement. But National level service is preferred, Bangalore is preferred first even before nation wide availability of service.

2. The whole technicality, The Azur 840a V2.0’s manual says that it’s power output stands at 120W RMS @ 8ohms, 200W RMS @ 4ohms. Considering the Klipsch is rated at 150W RMS continuous would this match? And what would an approximate performance look like? I kinda reached 75% of the volume upside on the 840a with JBL Studio 590 and it didn’t kinda feel like it was performing at its peak, We also saw a Sansui AU-417 with Altec Lansing Model 8 speakers and Sansui sounded sharp. Of course it’s different kinda drivers that both of em run, but considering the power output at almost 2x I couldn’t feel the 840a showing treble, But bass was good!

3. I’m planning to add a Streamer and a DAC. Which DAC is preferably good? Although the first couple of months I’d run the setup without a DAC to feel the things. Was looking at Schitt Modi 2/3, kinda suits my budget.

4. Should I put this plan onto hold and think of something like a Sonos amp stereo amplifier? Since it comes with a streamer built in and similar power rating for a little more price. The link is right below. (But I’m getting Cambridge 840a for a nice deal)

https://avstore.in/products/sonos-a...XXVywLBJVuxekdwNOEH8Yu8lKS3SyMUgaAgheEALw_wcB

5. How would the same amp perform with the Klipsch R-800Fs?

6. Also since I’m new to the whole integrated amplifier thingy, Please do tip me the Dos and Donts.

I’m sorry for making this post a long one. I just wanted to put down everything from my mind just so that I make the best decision. Thanks in advance, Cheers!

If service is big factor for your pruchase go with a local brand , acoustic potrait

They know their stuff very well

Go to their website and book a demo and listen for yourself

All i can tell you is they know what they are making and have solidly engineered products

Go to their website and book a demo and listen for yourself

All i can tell you is they know what they are making and have solidly engineered products
Thank you. Will surely check it out. Any opinion on the Cambridge 840a coupled with the Klipsch R-800f?

Thank you. Will surely check it out. Any opinion on the Cambridge 840a coupled with the Klipsch R-800f?
Never heard either of them in person so hard to form an opinion.

Not sure what your budget is but you can also look at Blue sound power node with PSB speakers. With this you have an amplifier cum streamer so single box connected to speakers. Absolutely no clutter if that is what you are looking at.

There are tons of options in the market.
Just don't look at the watts of what an amplifier makes and form your opinion

2. The whole technicality, The Azur 840a V2.0’s manual says that it’s power output stands at 120W RMS @ 8ohms, 200W RMS @ 4ohms. Considering the Klipsch is rated at 150W RMS continuous would this match? And what would an approximate performance look like? I kinda reached 75% of the volume upside on the 840a with JBL Studio 590 and it didn’t kinda feel like it was performing at its peak, We also saw a Sansui AU-417 with Altec Lansing Model 8 speakers and Sansui sounded sharp. Of course it’s different kinda drivers that both of em run, but considering the power output at almost 2x I couldn’t feel the 840a showing treble, But bass was good!
The Klipsch is 98dB and an easy load and that means you actually need only around 20W to make your ears Pop . so focus on Quality rather than amount of power. A Tube amplifier will be the best with it, if you are upto it but an amp like the Rega Brio will also do very well.
6. Also since I’m new to the whole integrated amplifier thingy, Please do tip me the Dos and Donts.

I’m sorry for making this post a long one. I just wanted to put down everything from my mind just so that I make the best decision. Thanks in advance, Cheers!

you will get a better quality if the amp and dac are different at these budgets. there are many Dacs available and am sure FMs here can give you inputs based on your budget.

The synergy between an Amp and Speaker is critical and it is a lot more than about power its also about the tonality. with a Klipsch which is an exciting sound , you need a warmer amp to sound good else the sound can be harsh so needless to say the pairing is crucial.

Thats the reason you will never go wrong with warmer amps like a rega or any tube amp.

Last edited:
Hi,

Below is my opinion on your questions
i) Cambridge Audio is sold across a few dealerships in India. Owning a CX series amp myself and having tried an older Azur 651A amp , they are really good amps and dont really go bad that easily (*touchwood*) . On the event of a problem , there are technicians in Bangalore who can help service the amp (not specifically CA but any brand you choose)

ii) This would depend on multiple factors like
a- room size , for smaller sized rooms you are unlikely to need beyond half the recommended wattage
b- Speaker Sensitivity - 150w continuous RMS is what the speakers are max rated for , 120 w @ 8 ohms specs will be more than sufficient to drive the Klipsch RF-800.

iii) Would depend on your preferences and budget. Schiit Modi 2/3 are on the warmer side with very good tonality. If that suits you then they are one of better ones in the budget , Topping/SMSL are known to be more neutral and clinical (not a big fan , but for the price they are amazing value) & Gustard sit in between the Modi and Topping in terms of sound signature. Best is to borrow and audition if possible , else go through user opinions across forums like head-fi which have tonnes of user material on these dacs and form your own opinion
Allo makes really good streamers at budget , WiiM is another streamer which is gaining good traction at budget. Zen Stream at a slightly higher budget also is an option

iv) I would suggest you to still go ahead with a dedicated DAC. Purchase a temporary amp like Aiyima A07 (7k odd on amazon , 1k for power adaptor as it doesnt come with one) and then keep an eye on any good deals on used Integrated amps and take the leap. The Aiyima is quiet clean and sounds musical , will do the job for quiet some time. Also to add they can drive most of the speakers in the market easily.

v) Cant comment on the synergy , not tried the same.

vi) Try to audition as many before you zero in on one, get a budget amplifier for the time being is all I can say. Your likes/budget etc are likely to change once you jump in so better to get something where you can keep it as a backup or sell with minimal loss

We shifted over to Denon X2000 and still running strong with the whole setup.

Now I want to upgrade, I recently saw the Klipsch R800F uniquely only for a 2.0 setup, There is still an option for 2.1 though I’m not sure how practical it is to listen music in 2.1.
Take your Denon and audition the Klipsch with it. Make sure you disable EQ during auditioning.

Now comes the real drama. As a budding audiophile I realised the importance of an Integrated Amplifier in music listening and now want to get my hands on one. When I saw the demo of the Klipsch R-800F with Roksan K2 I was blown away, though we also saw the Jamo D590 which is kinda close to the competition, we liked the Klipsch as an all round package though Jamo packed more treble.
Many are content listening to music with their AVRs. Don't be bogged down by peer pressure. Speaker placement will play an integral role in optimum performance.

Taking strict Budget into consideration, Roksan K2s price to me is touching the sky. So I thought of an alternative and met a used dealer and came across Cambridge Audio Azur 840a V2.0. The dealer showed me some demo but I felt that the vocals could have been better. But it was smooth, I’m more than happy to include it. Now my questions:
Used amplifiers from an unknown source can be dicey, as we do not know the internal condition.

Don't be bogged down by wattage. Almost any amp will be able to drive most speakers to an acceptable decibel decently.

3. I’m planning to add a Streamer and a DAC. Which DAC is preferably good? Although the first couple of months I’d run the setup without a DAC to feel the things. Was looking at Schitt Modi 2/3, kinda suits my budget.
Technology has improved vastly and design and implementation have become cheap. Most modern DACs have very little to differentiate between themselves. At the most, they'll colour the sound to add a "signature" sound. The DAC in your AVR is good enough.

4. Should I put this plan onto hold and think of something like a Sonos amp stereo amplifier? Since it comes with a streamer built in and similar power rating for a little more price. The link is right below. (But I’m getting Cambridge 840a for a nice deal)
If you need to add a streamer consider the Wiim Mini, it's a bargain of a device and many here are happy with it.

Audition with your Denon first, and report the results here. If undesirable, a suitable amp will be suggested next.

All the best! happy hunting.

Hi,

Below is my opinion on your questions
i) Cambridge Audio is sold across a few dealerships in India. Owning a CX series amp myself and having tried an older Azur 651A amp , they are really good amps and dont really go bad that easily (*touchwood*) . On the event of a problem , there are technicians in Bangalore who can help service the amp (not specifically CA but any brand you choose)

ii) This would depend on multiple factors like
a- room size , for smaller sized rooms you are unlikely to need beyond half the recommended wattage
b- Speaker Sensitivity - 150w continuous RMS is what the speakers are max rated for , 120 w @ 8 ohms specs will be more than sufficient to drive the Klipsch RF-800.

iii) Would depend on your preferences and budget. Schiit Modi 2/3 are on the warmer side with very good tonality. If that suits you then they are one of better ones in the budget , Topping/SMSL are known to be more neutral and clinical (not a big fan , but for the price they are amazing value) & Gustard sit in between the Modi and Topping in terms of sound signature. Best is to borrow and audition if possible , else go through user opinions across forums like head-fi which have tonnes of user material on these dacs and form your own opinion
Allo makes really good streamers at budget , WiiM is another streamer which is gaining good traction at budget. Zen Stream at a slightly higher budget also is an option

iv) I would suggest you to still go ahead with a dedicated DAC. Purchase a temporary amp like Aiyima A07 (7k odd on amazon , 1k for power adaptor as it doesnt come with one) and then keep an eye on any good deals on used Integrated amps and take the leap. The Aiyima is quiet clean and sounds musical , will do the job for quiet some time. Also to add they can drive most of the speakers in the market easily.

v) Cant comment on the synergy , not tried the same.

vi) Try to audition as many before you zero in on one, get a budget amplifier for the time being is all I can say. Your likes/budget etc are likely to change once you jump in so better to get something where you can keep it as a backup or sell with minimal loss
Hi, Really appreciate and I’m also on the same kinda verdict. Since you’ve already had an Azur 651A, How was the maintenance? What is the notorious thing that could go wrong with 840A?

ii) This is a living room setup, To be precise the ceiling is POP, We don’t want to get rid of it as the art of making old POP is no more. The POP is in top notch condition though. (But sometimes when the SW gets going, The ceiling kind off rattles here and there) any solution to this? Also the room has intricate Teak French doors (so ample amount of glass) on one side. There is no acoustics whatsoever. Room dimension is 14ft width, and 23ft length (viewing distance) the height is 9.5ft including the ceiling.

One more thing of info that’s required is, How do I check the the 840A is working in its full glory without any problems, Because the guy seems to tell it’s in top notch condition, but although I jacked up the volume to 80% couldn’t feel completely satisfied. Although the bass was good, it kinda felt a little lacking on treble with the demo speakers (JBL as mentioned before). Or I don’t know if it would work better with the Klipsch as it’s 150w RMS as compared to the JBLs 200RMS

iii) will look into the other points for sure. Appreciate it mate. Thank you!

The Klipsch is 98dB and an easy load and that means you actually need only around 20W to make your ears Pop . so focus in Quality rather than amount. a Tube amplifier will be the best with it, if you are upto it. an amp like the Rega Brio will also do very well.

you will get a better quality if the amp and dac are different at these budgets. there are many Dacs available and am sure FMs here can give you inputs based on your budget.

The synergy between an Amp and Speaker is critical and it is a lot more than about power its also about the tonality. with a klipsh which is an exciting sound but needs a warmer amp to sound good else the sound can be harsh so needless to say the pairing is crucial.

Thats the reason you will never go wrong with warmer amps like a rega or any tube amp.
Take your Denon and audition the Klipsch with it. Make sure you disable EQ during auditioning.

Many are content listening to music with their AVRs. Don't be bogged down by peer pressure. Speaker placement will play an integral role in optimum performance.

Used amplifiers from an unknown source can be dicey, as we do not know the internal condition.

Don't be bogged down by wattage. Almost any amp will be able to drive most speakers to an acceptable decibel decently.

Technology has improved vastly and design and implementation have become cheap. Most modern DACs have very little to differentiate between themselves. At the most, they'll colour the sound to add a "signature" sound. The DAC in your AVR is good enough.

If you need to add a streamer consider the Wiim Mini, it's a bargain of a device and many here are happy with it.

Audition with your Denon first, and report the results here. If undesirable, a suitable amp will be suggested next.

All the best! happy hunting.
Hi, Could you recommend some Tube Amplifiers and an optimal budget? I’m not sure about how much these things could cost, Although I can get to know them over time. Rega as mentioned is priced over my budget. But the factor of “Not going wrong with the setup” is something I’m looking for.

I tried listening to music on the AVR, It didn’t match my taste of music listening, Lacks bass and the feel just isn’t there. The wanting of an intergrated amp has been around for quite sometime. I find the balance good when experiencing the latter. I could use the SW to pack some punch, But somehow I’m not convinced.

Hi, Really appreciate and I’m also on the same kinda verdict. Since you’ve already had an Azur 651A, How was the maintenance? What is the notorious thing that could go wrong with 840A?

ii) This is a living room setup, To be precise the ceiling is POP, We don’t want to get rid of it as the art of making old POP is no more. The POP is in top notch condition though. (But sometimes when the SW gets going, The ceiling kind off rattles here and there) any solution to this? Also the room has intricate Teak French doors (so ample amount of glass) on one side. There is no acoustics whatsoever. Room dimension is 14ft width, and 23ft length (viewing distance) the height is 9.5ft including the ceiling.

One more thing of info that’s required is, How do I check the the 840A is working in its full glory without any problems, Because the guy seems to tell it’s in top notch condition, but although I jacked up the volume to 80% couldn’t feel completely satisfied. Although the bass was good, it kinda felt a little lacking on treble with the demo speakers (JBL as mentioned before). Or I don’t know if it would work better with the Klipsch as it’s 150w RMS as compared to the JBLs 200RMS

Are you planning to use the Amp at 80% volume all the time ? And what's the fascination with wattage...Unless you want to ignore the suggestions by various FM's repeatedly regarding synergy being important and not wattage/power of the Amp. First take your Denon and do an audition. If you're not happy then you can look for other amps. Also picking up a temp amp like the Aiyima A07 makes a lot of sense( monetarily and SQ wise) as you can tread the waters and get an idea about what you want more from an amp/system ....incase you do.
Take this idea out of your head that acquiring a CA Azur with xyz watts makes you more of an Audiophile..try with what you have first (Denon)....if unhappy move to a low cost well performing amp and then decide if you still want something better.
Hope you get the message and please don't get me wrong as we want you to enjoy the music and not just be bothered about wattage or what might go wrong.

Are you planning to use the Amp at 80% volume all the time ? And what's the fascination with wattage...Unless you want to ignore the suggestions by various FM's repeatedly regarding synergy being important and not wattage/power of the Amp. First take your Denon and do an audition. If you're not happy then you can look for other amps. Also picking up a temp amp like the Aiyima A07 makes a lot of sense( monetarily and SQ wise) as you can tread the waters and get an idea about what you want more from an amp/system ....incase you do.
Take this idea out of your head that acquiring a CA Azur with xyz watts makes you more of an Audiophile..try with what you have first (Denon)....if unhappy move to a low cost well performing amp and then decide if you still want something better.
Hope you get the message and please don't get me wrong as we want you to enjoy the music and not just be bothered about wattage or what might go wrong.
You have a point sir. Let me think about it

You have a point sir. Let me think about it
Where in Bangalore are you located ? If you are really serious then maybe at a convenient time we could catch up ,i have a few spare amps that we can take along with your Denon and audition the speakers. So that you get a feel of different amps and how they sound with the speaks. ( this would have to be on a weekday).

Where in Bangalore are you located ? If you are really serious then maybe at a convenient time we could catch up ,i have a few spare amps that we can take along with your Denon and audition the speakers. So that you get a feel of different amps and how they sound with the speaks. ( this would have to be on a weekday).
I’m put up in JP Nagar 5th Phase, And you sir? We could catch up over any weekday I’m absolutely fine with it!

Hi, Could you recommend some Tube Amplifiers and an optimal budget? I’m not sure about how much these things could cost, Although I can get to know them over time. Rega as mentioned is priced over my budget. But the factor of “Not going wrong with the setup” is something I’m looking for.

I tried listening to music on the AVR, It didn’t match my taste of music listening, Lacks bass and the feel just isn’t there. The wanting of an intergrated amp has been around for quite sometime. I find the balance good when experiencing the latter. I could use the SW to pack some punch, But somehow I’m not convinced.

I no longer have the 651A but have the CX81 now. The 651a I had was about 5 years old and never needed any service in its lifetime. Most often issues if any are in capacitors I believe which are easily replaceable.

Not sure on why your false ceiling rattles, probably some resonant frequency. Not sure how that can be solved.

Some general checks on the amp should be no audible distortion at higher volumes, make sure all knobs work fine without any crackle from the speaker while dialing & making sure all the inputs & outputs work fine.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back