NEW ONKYO RECEIVER!! Is Onkyo BACK?

I am a nervous about these low tier amplifiers from the likes of Onkyo, Pioneer. The feature set is great, the power is not.

I am a nervous about these low tier amplifiers from the likes of Onkyo, Pioneer. The feature set is great, the power is not.

Add the components used too, my VSX 834 was replaced twice. One thing I have realised, good feature set comes at some compromise.

The way to go is pre+power. None of these companies can match some of the new companies such as ApolloOn in terms of amplification. So get a good processor, add a power amp, and use it for movies and music.

The market for AVRs in shrinking. Sound bars, two channel systems, BT based system....people do not want the complication of heavily wired systems any more.

Cheers

The way to go is pre+power.
I'll agree to the above. That said, not everyone can afford 300K INR for a HT front end. Most don't even have half that budget.

There are the bargain basement av receivers like the 5100 above you definitely want to avoid. Take it a few notches higher and you get a little more power to work with. May not be the best power but you're also paying a fraction less for it.

The way to go is pre+power.

The market for AVRs in shrinking. Sound bars, two channel systems, BT based system....people do not want the complication of heavily wired systems any more.

Cheers
Regarding Soundbars and htibs - I used to have Blaupankt 2.1 and Boat 2.1 sound bars. The sound was louder than TV output but this 2.1 was not the same as say a stereo amplifier with speakers pair. They begin to get good at 60k plus. But for 60k plus you could buy a second hand AVR plus a few speakers and in subsequent months pile up a HT. New HT plus speakers and sub are different though, seriously got expensive over the last couple years and is a big no. In soundbars the positioning of the LR is very near and within a couple of feet. So sound is only enhanced, not separated on each channel. Or the feel of such a thing thereof. Pre+power is a niche segment. Plus soundbars and htibs are plastic moulded. They have a distorting sound signature at higher volumes. Not clean sound. They vibrate too. Even my Sony htrt3 5.1 htib (soundbar+satellites htib not AVR based) lacked something although was worth a value for money under 30k stuff. But it fails miserably in channelling sound. Most of the times the satellites do not work. Real HT connoisseurs might overlook soundbars and htibs. The ones who bought them graduate to a HT in a year or two almost always. (According to my opinion)

Last edited:
The way to go is pre+power. None of these companies can match some of the new companies such as ApolloOn in terms of amplification. So get a good processor, add a power amp, and use it for movies and music.

Cheers
That seems to be the way to go in theses times, to gradually built a full system -for those with constrained budget. any good 5.1 pre you would suggest?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back