New OPPO BD Transport

KDM

OPPO has come out with a new CI BD Transport:

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdt-101CI/blu-ray-BDT-101CI-Features.aspx

Advanced Features

Universal disc format support including Blu-ray, Blu-ray 3D1, DVD, DVD-Audio, Super Audio CD, CD, HDCD and more
Upscaling to Ultra HD (4K) resolution
VRS (Video Reference Series) ClearView video processing
Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Digital Plus decoding
DTS-HD Master Audio decoding
Bitstream output compatible with Dolby Atmos and DTS-X
Three USB ports for playback of media files2 (AVCHD, MKV, AVI, MP4, WAV, FLAC, APE, DSD, etc.)
Ethernet port for BD-Live, firmware upgrade and home network media file playback
True 24p video for Blu-ray encoded in 24Hz frame rate and optional conversion of DVD to 24p
Multiple zoom modes
Advanced picture control including video smoothing, detail and edge enhancement
Premium 32-bit audio DAC by AKM
Optical and coaxial digital audio outputs
Rigid steel chassis and center mounted disc loader with motion balance and vibration isolating mechanisms
Back-lit remote control

Custom Integration Features

Versatile modular design with many customized options
One or two HDMI outputs via the additional HDMI output module
Optional HDBaseT output module for long cable runs
Stereo or optional 7.1ch analog audio output module
Optional rack mount kit
Large front panel buttons with finger guards
RS232 and IP control for system integration
Switchable rear IR sensor for a clean IR blaster/emitter installation
HDMI CEC (Consumer Electronics Control)
Three customizable picture adjustment presets
Settings can be locked to prevent inadvertent changes

Understanding the Differences between the BDT-101CI and BDP-103

The OPPO BDT-101CI is a reliable high-performance Blu-ray transport designed for custom home theaters and professional applications. It shares many features of the BDP-103, BDP-103D, BDP-105, and BDP-105D models, yet there are some important differences between the BDT-101CI and BDP-103 series (including all variant models):

1.The design of the BDT-101CI focuses on its core function of disc playback. It does not have Internet streaming apps or inputs for external sources. The BDP-103 series is composed of full-featured universal Blu-ray players with Internet streaming apps and HDMI/MHL inputs.
2.The BDT-101CI features a modular design that can be customized for each installation's unique requirements. The BDP-103 series does not offer modular customization, and each model comes with a standard set of features and performance specifications.

3.Because of its highly customizable nature, the BDT-101CI is only available through custom integrators, installers, and local resellers. The BDP-103 series can be ordered online directly from OPPO Digital or other retail channels.

Our recommendation for choosing the BDT-101CI or BDP-103 series is based on how you intend to install and use the player. If you need a simple and reliable universal disc player, the BDT-101CI may be a perfect fit. If you need a player with additional features such as network streaming and external signal inputs, the BDP-103(D) or 105(D) might be a better choice. If your primary use of the player is for listening to music and you will connect the player to high quality amplifiers and speakers, the BDP-105(D) is our recommendation for audio playback. Should your particular installation call for long cable runs, the BDT-101CI with an HDBaseT output module can get the job done.

Last edited:
I cant find price anywhere.Any idea?
DAC chip by AKM now.

No idea regarding the price.

It's a CI model. It' highly customisable and will be available through select dealers and integrators - you won't get it directly from Oppo. The second HDMI output (on top) and the second set of analogue stereo outputs can be swapped for other things, or removed altogether. Or you can get the base player without those goodies. If you want analogue 7.1, you can get it too. Don't know what Oppo's policy regarding 3rd party add-ons will be, but if allowed, expect some extremely high end add on boards to be made available for it as well. Kinda like a PC you can upgrade yourself, if you know what you're doing. :cool:

Since the BDT-101CI is intended to be configured and installed by a qualified custom integrator, please contact your integrator, installer or local reseller for technical support. Due to the many possible module customizations and configurations, OPPO Digital is not able to provide direct customer support on this product. The following information is for reference by custom integrators.

Check this out: http://download.oppodigital.com/BDT101CI/BDT-101CI Installer Manual v1.0.pdf

This is in a different class to the 103 and the 105, in my view - especially when it comes to being customisable.

Last edited:
Sorry for this noob question. Since this has a premium DAC and has USB input,I assume it would have analogue output also. Then why is this called as a ' Transport' instead of BDP.
Rgds

Sorry for this noob question. Since this has a premium DAC and has USB input,I assume it would have analogue output also. Then why is this called as a ' Transport' instead of BDP.
Rgds
If one do not need analoge out,it will be a transport only.Looks like a PC soundcard, that sound board can be optional and DAC must be on it.

If one do not need analoge out,it will be a transport only.Looks like a PC soundcard, that sound board can be optional and DAC must be on it.

Exactly! Remove the Stereo expansion card + stereo outputs and you'll be left with a BD transport. You can also add 7.1 analogue outs in it's place. Not happy with the RCA stereo outs but love stereo. Remove that card and replace it with another that has balanced XLR outputs. If you're not happy with the sound quality of the Oppo stereo card, replace it with something more audiophile. The possibilities are there.

To me this seems to be a 103 rebadged for the installer market.

Oppo seems to be losing it charm. The products have become too bloody expensive and have features that does not make sense any more. They started well with DVD players, but seem to have lost their focus with Blu-rays.

It may make more sense to simplify the player, and, design and produce a media player that disrupts the industry.

Something like the Kangaroo PC (InFocus / Kangaroo) is a game changer. This, if sold properly, should wipe out all media players. A full Windows 10 PC for $100. What more do I need? Other than playing a media (which also it can do if attached to one), it delivers everything a video/movie/Internet hungry person can dream of. I keep looking at media players fondly, but then I realise I have the best media player in the world - an HTPC. There is nothing it cannot do including decoding H.265 codecs.

A software that does good scaling maybe attached to a specific GPU can wipe out all the advantages that the Oppo provides. That, coded into a single chip that is added to a PC like the Kangaroo, will give you a Oppo type player with more bells and whistles under $250!! Oppo has reached a price point where it does not make sense to me anymore.

In any case today, the difference between Oppo upscaling and DAC and those in advanced AVRs is very small.

It make more sense to have a central AVR that scales and DACs well, and just feed it with regular video and music data. Let the AVR do all the magic.

Cheers

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back