New Samsung LED TV series..

Its still an LCD tv. Its just that the backlight has changed from CCFL to LEDs. The new ones just launched by Samsung use LEDs lined up along the edge of the screen and special light pathways to transmit light to each part of the screen. The backlight is not locally dimmable (unlike the higher models which have LEDs directly behind the screen).

From what I saw at the store, the colours were more saturated and the set "popped" out very strongly compared to other LCDs. It was like a tv on steroids. Dynamic contrast is very high (but native contrast remains low).

The tv looks beautiful as its very thin and has a nice frame.

B6000 was available for 1,12,000 in 40" and 1,33,000 in 46".

well the prices will become less .well why are they expensive they have greater brightness which may have a effect on contrast,the thin factor,the power efficiency factor and its a new technology.

I viewed the LED series from Samsung and must say found the clarity much better then the other LCD's. Also understand its one of the most eco friendly tv on earth so hence may be the cost factor. But LED is the way forward and very soon other players will launch this in the market. Already Sony and Philips have launched their versions in bigger screen size.

Sri_Bom

I viewed the LED series from Samsung and must say found the clarity much better then the other LCD's. Also understand its one of the most eco friendly tv on earth so hence may be the cost factor. But LED is the way forward and very soon other players will launch this in the market. Already Sony and Philips have launched their versions in bigger screen size.

Sri_Bom

well yes led are the future,but the LED in sony are backlight and are local dimming leds and further more they are RGB leds,the ones in the samsung are EDGElight LEDs and cannot do local dimming,the local dimming samsuns are the upcoming 9000 series of LUXIA tvs.

Is it wise to wait for an year or two and get hold of one of these instead of getting an LCD TV today (assuming I already have an CRT and am comfortable with it except for the aspect ratio part) ?

The LED TVs defineletly look better but Iam not able to justify if they are worth 2 times (yes! double) the cost of the similarly speced LCD TV today. Will the gap narrow down in the near future? (The LCDs have become half their original price in the last 2-3 years..)

My worry is LCDs becoming obselete withing 2-3 years of buying them, being replaced by LEDs.. Can someone comment?

Is it wise to wait for an year or two and get hold of one of these instead of getting an LCD TV today (assuming I already have an CRT and am comfortable with it except for the aspect ratio part) ?

The LED TVs defineletly look better but Iam not able to justify if they are worth 2 times (yes! double) the cost of the similarly speced LCD TV today. Will the gap narrow down in the near future? (The LCDs have become half their original price in the last 2-3 years..)

My worry is LCDs becoming obselete withing 2-3 years of buying them, being replaced by LEDs.. Can someone comment?

well these tvs are infact lcds,they only have a LED backlight/edgelight,so the performance difference compared to normal lcds is minimal,but when u compare them to local dimming led lcds then there will be a significant difference in performance.the major benefit of led backlight is in the power consumption and the thiness of of tv.
even these tvs will be obselete when OLED tvs hit mass productions currently a 11inch OLED costs well over a lakh.

but lcds will keep on improving going by the trend in contrast ratio they increase by around 40%* every year ,all lcd tvs in future will have full motion resolution and the next step is 3d technolgy by using special goggles to see movies in 3d with a 3d source.so they will keep on improving irrespective of LED or normal CCFL backlight.

Last edited:
Don't bet on future technology. It's expected as of now that the future will be LED, OLED, AMOLED, but no one can say for sure that LCD will go. The thing is such technology is controlled by the manufacturers and they will not let go of an old technology and replace it with a newer technology until and unless they've made a profit from the existing technology and money recouped on its R&D. For instance Intel already has technology that it will release in 2020, but it's not going to release it now. Not until it makes its profit from dual core and quad core. Even replacement for Blu-Ray is here, but after the expensive war between HD-DVD and Blu-Ray all want to make profits first before even thinking about introducing newer/better/replacement technology. That's how the industry works. It's not always the better products and technologies that sell or run. It's a closed/controlled market and with CRTs being phased out all will be forced to go for LCD or plasma since nothing else is available.

My recommendation is if you're happy with your CRT then yeah wait. Or else pick something cheap but with great quality like the PV8. As things stand today in a couple of years LED and its various acronyms are supposed to take over and LCD and plasma phased out, but no one knows except the manufacturers and they do control everything.

BTW, I have a plasma, an LCD and 3 CRTs at home and all of my main TV watching including the IPL is done on a 29" CRT. It absolutely kicks everyone/everything else (i.e. LCDs and plasmas) in terms of PQ. So if you're happy with CRT then stay put. You will have more and better options in 2 years.

if you think you can be comfortable with CRT, why do you think you will be outdated with an LCD TV? :cool:
I have kept myself out of TV upgrade loop for now. Instead, I went for a projector for ~60k that gives me a huge picture and I watch movies on it. In my bedroom I have a 29 inch decently styled 29" CRT (which a few people confuse with LCD!) and I am ok with that.

regards

As things stand today in a couple of years LED and its various acronyms are supposed to take over and LCD and plasma phased out...

As Adder mentioned, we are not saying that LED will replace LCD. These new TVs are LCD TVs. LED is just the light source behind the screen.

Thanks,
Sharad

Don't bet on future technology. It's expected as of now that the future will be LED, OLED, AMOLED, but no one can say for sure that LCD will go. The thing is such technology is controlled by the manufacturers and they will not let go of an old technology and replace it with a newer technology until and unless they've made a profit from the existing technology and money recouped on its R&D. For instance Intel already has technology that it will release in 2020, but it's not going to release it now. Not until it makes its profit from dual core and quad core. Even replacement for Blu-Ray is here, but after the expensive war between HD-DVD and Blu-Ray all want to make profits first before even thinking about introducing newer/better/replacement technology. That's how the industry works. It's not always the better products and technologies that sell or run. It's a closed/controlled market and with CRTs being phased out all will be forced to go for LCD or plasma since nothing else is available.

My recommendation is if you're happy with your CRT then yeah wait. Or else pick something cheap but with great quality like the PV8. As things stand today in a couple of years LED and its various acronyms are supposed to take over and LCD and plasma phased out, but no one knows except the manufacturers and they do control everything.

BTW, I have a plasma, an LCD and 3 CRTs at home and all of my main TV watching including the IPL is done on a 29" CRT. It absolutely kicks everyone/everything else (i.e. LCDs and plasmas) in terms of PQ. So if you're happy with CRT then stay put. You will have more and better options in 2 years.

That sums it all.. My only concern with my current CRT is the aspect ratio while watching movies.. Absolutely no problem with PQ and also I have no space crunch.. Can wait for 2 years or so, no issues.

This brings out the next question (though off topic)..

Why are there no CRTs manufactured in 16:9 ? I think that will be the most ideal and cost effective solution for people like me (and most others too) who have no issues with the size of CRTs.

As Adder mentioned, we are not saying that LED will replace LCD. These new TVs are LCD TVs. LED is just the light source behind the screen.

Thanks,
Sharad

That's because Samsung is not really making LED TVs. They are just putting LED backlight technology on their existing LCD TVs and having the gall to call them LED TVs (guess they assume we gullible Indians are "good enough" to lap it up and probably they are right). The technology I'm referring to is OLED which is a different technology and nothing to do with LCD or Plasma. Sony has released some 30 odd prototypes of such TVs in 2008 which I happened to catch when visiting abroad. This will (well at least expected to) replace LCDs and Plasma in a couple of years. Not in India though. We Indians will probably be still lapping up cheap Korean products even then. Look at LG selling IPS in LCD as the next big thing in 2009 to us gullible Indians.

That sums it all.. My only concern with my current CRT is the aspect ratio while watching movies.. Absolutely no problem with PQ and also I have no space crunch.. Can wait for 2 years or so, no issues.

This brings out the next question (though off topic)..

Why are there no CRTs manufactured in 16:9 ? I think that will be the most ideal and cost effective solution for people like me (and most others too) who have no issues with the size of CRTs.

well there are 16:9 crts but not commonly in india,only sony sold them until 2006 in india,at the time there were 2 models a 29inch and a 34inch(1.30lakh) and they were more expensive then even the sony bravia 32inch lcd(1.20lakh) and those crts were as good as they ever got,but if u look at those tv owners in the US they have since moved on to plasma and lcds,since the overall picture is better , blacks levels,eye fatigue ,geomentry issues etc.while they do agree that the crt is the best for SD content even though it being a 16:9 tv because of the flexible nature of crt.but for HD content lcds and plasma are clearly better.
may be if sony had continued to develop the crt further it could have been better in HD as well, but that didn't happen,a version of similar to CRT called FED (field emission display) was pursued by sony it was flat panel type of tv ,but sony announced in march this year that it was abandoning it ,instead they will be concentrating on OLED.

That's because Samsung is not really making LED TVs. They are just putting LED backlight technology on their existing LCD TVs and having the gall to call them LED TVs (guess they assume we gullible Indians are "good enough" to lap it up and probably they are right).

well its not only in india that samsung calls it as a LED tv ,its throughout the world.

I'd like to add another question... How come there are no LCDs or Plasma screens manufactured in 4:3? I think a lot of people who primarily watch regular tv broadcasts would appreciate such a screen as you dont have to deal with horizontally stretched versions of all your favorite actors/actresses, or large vertical bars on either side of the broadcast.

Perhaps that's why people who regularly appear on television (models, VJs, actresses) keep getting thinner every year... to compensate for getting horizontally stretched on the increasing number of wide-screen televisions in the market!

Sorry for going off topic.

I'd like to add another question... How come there are no LCDs or Plasma screens manufactured in 4:3? I think a lot of people who primarily watch regular tv broadcasts would appreciate such a screen as you dont have to deal with horizontally stretched versions of all your favorite actors/actresses, or large vertical bars on either side of the broadcast.

Perhaps that's why people who regularly appear on television (models, VJs, actresses) keep getting thinner every year... to compensate for getting horizontally stretched on the increasing number of wide-screen televisions in the market!

Sorry for going off topic.

well there was 4:3 based lcds but then againg its not a HD format and when people by lcd or plasma they think ahead,if u just wan't t0 watch SD then u are better off with a crt tv.
secondly if u watch a SD channel but the orginal content was shot in widescreen ,then even though the lcd/plasma tv stretch the image ,it would look normal the way its supposed to be,like for eg the other day i was watching a movie called "The Fifth Element" in UTV World Movies channel in Big tv dth,i immediately popped in a DVD containg the same movie which is in a wide screen format,the tv automaticaly displayed it in the correct aspect ratio,the same in big tv SD the tv will show it in a 4:3 format and i had to stretch the image manualy but after u do that both look the same in terms of aspect ratio.
so the picture look stretched only if the channel provider or content maker as taken the movie in 4:3 format .

That's because Samsung is not really making LED TVs. They are just putting LED backlight technology on their existing LCD TVs and having the gall to call them LED TVs (guess they assume we gullible Indians are "good enough" to lap it up and probably they are right). The technology I'm referring to is OLED which is a different technology and nothing to do with LCD or Plasma. Sony has released some 30 odd prototypes of such TVs in 2008 which I happened to catch when visiting abroad. This will (well at least expected to) replace LCDs and Plasma in a couple of years. Not in India though. We Indians will probably be still lapping up cheap Korean products even then. Look at LG selling IPS in LCD as the next big thing in 2009 to us gullible Indians.

Are you getting confused between OLED and LED TVs. They sound similar but are significantly different technologies.

The only OLED TV that I saw was 11 inches in size, and was costing a fortune. I considered it just a proof of concept (POC) from Sony. It would take a while before we can see a 40+ inch OLED TV in our homes.

Even Sony's LED TVs are actually LCD TVs!
The only difference is that they have LEDs behind the screen, not just on the sides for global illumination, so you can light up or dim them individually to improve contrast. The newer Samsung models too are doing that. These are all LCD TVs.

Go to http://www.sony.co.in/product/klv-46x450a, and click on the 'Specifications' tab.

Gizmodo - Sony LED Bravia KDL-55XBR8 Reviewed: Best LCD TV Ever - Sony bravia xbr8

Thanks,
Sharad

Last edited:
No confusion for me. I'm clear on the technology. The only confusion is for people who are buying so called LED TVs which in fact are LCD TVs with LED backlight.

Coming to OLED, Sony had more than 30 prototypes, but it will be a while before they are mass market and affordable.

Are you getting confused between OLED and LED TVs. They sound similar but are significantly different technologies.

The only OLED TV that I saw was 11 inches in size, and was costing a fortune. I considered it just a proof of concept (POC) from Sony. It would take a while before we can see a 40+ inch OLED TV in our homes.

Even Sony's LED TVs are actually LCD TVs!
The only difference is that they have LEDs behind the screen, not just on the sides for global illumination, so you can light up or dim them individually to improve contrast. The newer Samsung models too are doing that. These are all LCD TVs.

Go to KLV-46X450A : X Series : BRAVIA LCD TV : Sony India, and click on the 'Specifications' tab.

Gizmodo - Sony LED Bravia KDL-55XBR8 Reviewed: Best LCD TV Ever - Sony bravia xbr8

Thanks,
Sharad

These news items are more accurate than the ones in our popular media:

- Koreatimes
"Samsung Electronics is misleading consumers. There shouldn't be a 'LED TV' in the market. 'LED TV'
is not a new category. It is an LCD TV using LED backlighting," says LG Display CEO Kwon Young-soo

- Gear Patrol

BTW, I actually like Samsung TVs and even own one, but facts are facts.

Thanks,
Sharad

I used to like Samsung, used a lot of their mobiles at one time but exactly after the warranty period the mobile would break down. This happened to 4 mobiles and all expensive ones and 4 is way too many for there to be a coincidence. From when I came to know about the Samsung LCD panel lottery I lost all respect for it as a company and totally avoid all Korean products.

These news items are more accurate than the ones in our popular media:

- Koreatimes
"Samsung Electronics is misleading consumers. There shouldn't be a 'LED TV' in the market. 'LED TV'
is not a new category. It is an LCD TV using LED backlighting," says LG Display CEO Kwon Young-soo

- Gear Patrol

BTW, I actually like Samsung TVs and even own one, but facts are facts.

Thanks,
Sharad

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back