new stereo system

vishnu

hi
i am planning to set up a stereo system for my room which is about 12x10 sq ft
i primarily listen to music and ocassionally watch movies suggest me a good pair of floor standers and an amp to go along with it
my budget is about 30-40k for the whole set up
awaiting ur replies

where r u based?

what kind of music do you listen to?

r u looking for an amp and spkrs only, or a source, etc., also?

hi
i am planning to set up a stereo system for my room which is about 12x10 sq ft
i primarily listen to music and ocassionally watch movies suggest me a good pair of floor standers and an amp to go along with it
my budget is about 30-40k for the whole set up
awaiting ur replies

Hi Vishnu,
Before any brands are suggested i have a few questions.
1) Why floor standers in a 120 sft room? Stand mounters is a better option.
2) Integrated amp will only drive two speakers and u wont get the surround experience so are u planning on an AVR or a stereo amp? since the set up will cater to both movies and music and the budget is limited maybe an AVR is the preferred solution if movies in surround is of importance.
3) Ideally for music u need a cdp and for movies a dvd player so in the above budget(30/40K) what of the above components are u planning to buy?
If u buy an AVR then u could add surrounds as the budget allows.
If a simple stereo set up is required please read 2 current threads by 'magma' called 'Budget speakers auditioned- a noobs take' and ' What do i need -requirement music only' for information on the pricing/availability and tonality of most budget/mid priced gear.
Brands for electronics in a budget are Nad/denon/marantz/CA and for speakers the options are MS/MA/PSB/Tannoy/wharfedale.

Rgds

Last edited:
Hi,

You can go for Old Intergrated amplifier like Technics or Pioneer you can get around 4K and matching 3 way Jamo speakers for around 8K and a FM/AM Tuner of Denon make for 2K and Graphic Equalizer for 3K and a CD player for 3K and everything can suit suit your budjet of 20K and all available at Mohan Music ; Cell No:98404 38347

regards,
Prabakar

A few suggestions:

-Go for a well built, nice sounding Integrated Amp/Preamp. This will help keep the cost down.

-Address room treatments. You want to take care of your first reflection points (sides and ceiling), and bass traps in the corners. Over here, we normally buy GiK acoustics traps or Real Traps. You will need to find someone in India who builds these things.

-Power has always been pretty dirty in India from as far back as I can remember. This will be one of the major concerns for me if I was setting up a system. Isolate and regenerate clean electricity if you can.

-I'll post more thoughts as I think more about it.

-Think about a wireless media player like the Slimdevices Squeezebox:
Squeezebox Classic Wireless Digital Media Player: Listen to the music you love in any room in your home
You can store lossless files on your computer and stream them to the squeezebox wirelessly for your stereo setup.

Good luck and have fun!

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back