Newbie - Glad I found this forum

Ooty_hometheater

Hello All - I am new to this forum and also to the world of home theater. All my knowledge so far is random google searches and YouTube videos and somehow ran into this forum which so far looks like everything served on one big plate :) So glad I found this forum. I am trying to educate myself and see if it’s even possible to DIY a home theater in Hyderabad, so here is what I have so far, please advice on anything and everything and enlighten me:

Room Set up: 13.3 feet x 29.9 feet, height will be roughly 10 feet (I like high ceilings). Room has two large French windows, thinking of thick dark screens.

Thinking of 150 inch screen, 7.1.4 to begin with and possibly having the wiring done for 9.2.4

Projector screen: Room is not dedicated solely for home theater, so there will be shelves (cupboards) behind the roll down projector screen: Thinking of Inlight Imported Motorized Projector (Nitin Anand from Amazon), with viewing area of 131 x 74, got the quote for Rs. 42K

Projector: Thinking of BenQ TK850 given 3000 lumens because the room is going to be a little bright or BenQ HT3550. Planning to buy it from USA because I have couple of trips planned in next 6 to 12 months

AV Receiver: Marantz SR8012: 11.2 Channel. Planning to buy it from USA.

Question: Any advise on bringing both Projector and AVR in the same trip as checked in luggage? Custom awareness In hyd airport?

Speakers: Ceiling Polk RC80i (4 speakers), LCR, surrounds and subwoofer: still struggling given the length of the room. Total budget for all speakers with subwoofer is Rs. 1 to 1.3 lakhs

Speaker Wire: purchased from Amazon basics 14 AWG (This is the only purchase made so far :) )
HDMI cable: BlueRigger in-wall 18Gbps HDMI cable from Amazon, assuming 35 feet will do the trick, given the projector specs, I am planning to mount the projector 14 feet away from the screen.

Thanks and looking forward to spend a lot of time here :)

Hi Welcome,
If u r planning to buy AV receiver from US u have to go for power converter because its 110v
If u can buy from other countries to try buy from europe,UK,middle east or Sout east asian countries which are 220volts which ll avoid those power converter and little head aches.

Thank You, very valid point. Reading through this forum I guess we can find a decent converter in Hyderabad. I guess that little inconvenience is worth the price difference?

Thank You, very valid point. Reading through this forum I guess we can find a decent converter in Hyderabad. I guess that little inconvenience is worth the price difference?
Also keep in mind that Denon, Marantz, Onkyo wont provide warranty support to any of your products sourced from the US. Often they wont even provide support for the spares, forget warranty. Had this personal experience with Onkyo when I needed a part for my AV receiver. Had got the AV receiver back with be when I relocated to India.

Also keep in mind that Denon, Marantz, Onkyo wont provide warranty support to any of your products sourced from the US. Often they wont even provide support for the spares, forget warranty. Had this personal experience with Onkyo when I needed a part for my AV receiver. Had got the AV receiver back with be when I relocated to India.
Appreciate the information. Really didn’t think about warranty and services. Any suggestion on kind of speakers I should be looking for in India? Thinking of 7.1.4 setup and my budget for speakers is 1 to 1.3 lakhs.

thanks much

Appreciate the information. Really didn’t think about warranty and services. Any suggestion on kind of speakers I should be looking for in India? Thinking of 7.1.4 setup and my budget for speakers is 1 to 1.3 lakhs.

thanks much
Assuming 40k for a good sub (coz of the room size), that leaves 90k (from the upper limit) for 11 speakers. Leaving 25k for 4 atmos speakers, that leaves us with 65k for 7 speakers. Tough task I would say. Let's wait for the experts to chime in.

Assuming 40k for a good sub (coz of the room size), that leaves 90k (from the upper limit) for 11 speakers. Leaving 25k for 4 atmos speakers, that leaves us with 65k for 7 speakers. Tough task I would say. Let's wait for the experts to chime in.
Good way to look at it. Glad to wait for other experts to pinch in. Looks like your advice is to go speaker at a time rather than looking for 7 speaker home theater system? Thanks for your time

Good way to look at it. Glad to wait for other experts to pinch in. Looks like your advice is to go speaker at a time rather than looking for 7 speaker home theater system? Thanks for your time
my suggestion would be get a good front stage LCR and then take time to get other speakers don't rush, in time when u audition multiple speakers and reading reviews will get into the direction to what kind of speakers u want.
your room size is large and for the speaker budget u r considering , u don't get the impact and immersive u indent to get try to go for dual subwoofer and consider building some acoustic panel with rock wool really improves quality of sound and reduce standing waves

my suggestion would be get a good front stage LCR and then take time to get other speakers don't rush, in time when u audition multiple speakers and reading reviews will get into the direction to what kind of speakers u want.
your room size is large and for the speaker budget u r considering , u don't get the impact and immersive u indent to get try to go for dual subwoofer and consider building some acoustic panel with rock wool really improves quality of sound and reduce standing waves

Thank you. I am educating myself on the acoustic panel as well. Long way to go :)

Hello All - I am new to this forum and also to the world of home theater. All my knowledge so far is random google searches and YouTube videos and somehow ran into this forum which so far looks like everything served on one big plate :) So glad I found this forum. I am trying to educate myself and see if it’s even possible to DIY a home theater in Hyderabad, so here is what I have so far, please advice on anything and everything and enlighten me:

Room Set up: 13.3 feet x 29.9 feet, height will be roughly 10 feet (I like high ceilings). Room has two large French windows, thinking of thick dark screens.

Thinking of 150 inch screen, 7.1.4 to begin with and possibly having the wiring done for 9.2.4

Projector screen: Room is not dedicated solely for home theater, so there will be shelves (cupboards) behind the roll down projector screen: Thinking of Inlight Imported Motorized Projector (Nitin Anand from Amazon), with viewing area of 131 x 74, got the quote for Rs. 42K

Projector: Thinking of BenQ TK850 given 3000 lumens because the room is going to be a little bright or BenQ HT3550. Planning to buy it from USA because I have couple of trips planned in next 6 to 12 months

AV Receiver: Marantz SR8012: 11.2 Channel. Planning to buy it from USA.

Question: Any advise on bringing both Projector and AVR in the same trip as checked in luggage? Custom awareness In hyd airport?

Speakers: Ceiling Polk RC80i (4 speakers), LCR, surrounds and subwoofer: still struggling given the length of the room. Total budget for all speakers with subwoofer is Rs. 1 to 1.3 lakhs

Speaker Wire: purchased from Amazon basics 14 AWG (This is the only purchase made so far :) )
HDMI cable: BlueRigger in-wall 18Gbps HDMI cable from Amazon, assuming 35 feet will do the trick, given the projector specs, I am planning to mount the projector 14 feet away from the screen.

Thanks and looking forward to spend a lot of time here :)

Hi

Welcome to HFV.

I am sure you will find most of the answers to your queries or challenges related to AV in the knowledge rich threads we have on this excellent website. Please browse the various sections.

Hi
Before you invest money on 7.1.4 setup (there are tons of speaker options in the market - the AV threads have abundant information on those ) - just trying to understand what would be your source for playing Atmos ? Netflix or Amazon Prime doesn’t have that many titles with Atmos and frankly , watching a crappy film just for the sound effects is a tiring venture once you’ve got over the initial excitement.

Hi

Welcome to HFV.

I am sure you will find most of the answers to your queries or challenges related to AV in the knowledge rich threads we have on this excellent website. Please browse the various sections.
Thanks. I’m definitely learning a lot. Started from scratch and a long way to go and this site is so great.

Hi
Before you invest money on 7.1.4 setup (there are tons of speaker options in the market - the AV threads have abundant information on those ) - just trying to understand what would be your source for playing Atmos ? Netflix or Amazon Prime doesn’t have that many titles with Atmos and frankly , watching a crappy film just for the sound effects is a tiring venture once you’ve got over the initial excitement.
Haha well put. Actually it’s a new building so I was thinking of pulling the wires and stuff when I have people around to help me fix the holes. Mainly for future proofing. But for now as you mentioned Atmos is going to be from Netflix or Amazon from 4K fire stick. Reading through this forum I will have the 4 Polk ceiling speakers fixed in the ceiling and wiring done for the rest and buy those speakers incrementally. Thanks

Haha well put. Actually it’s a new building so I was thinking of pulling the wires and stuff when I have people around to help me fix the holes. Mainly for future proofing. But for now as you mentioned Atmos is going to be from Netflix or Amazon from 4K fire stick. Reading through this forum I will have the 4 Polk ceiling speakers fixed in the ceiling and wiring done for the rest and buy those speakers incrementally. Thanks

In AV world there’s nothing called future proof sir ... today’s technology is tomorrow’s redundancy. :)
Anyway - for initial 5.1 , the QAcoustics 3050i package is very good. Please audition them. I’m sure you’d be blown away by the atmosphere they create.
You can add the ceiling speakers And an extra sub later on.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back